Best imaging/separation for ~$100?
Feb 18, 2010 at 5:05 AM Post #2 of 23
I'd say it'd be a tossup between the hf5's and RE0's. Both are very clear & detailed.

Feb 18, 2010 at 5:20 AM Post #3 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by jleewach /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'd say it'd be a tossup between the hf5's and RE0's. Both are very clear & detailed.

For good imaging I would avoid RE0. It does have great separation, but imaging is very weak/unstable. I would go with Etymotics.

Feb 18, 2010 at 5:10 PM Post #5 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by Pianist /img/forum/go_quote.gif
For good imaging I would avoid RE0. It does have great separation, but imaging is very weak/unstable. I would go with Etymotics.

Yeah, I heard the same thing about the RE0s.

Feb 18, 2010 at 5:29 PM Post #6 of 23
It's true, the RE0 has an odd soundstage. If you tilt your head forward a bit when listening it almost becomes normal
tongue.gif

Feb 18, 2010 at 6:37 PM Post #7 of 23
I think that the hf5's soundstage is too small and hinders the imaging and seperation. They sound very dynamically squashed. That makes it a very closed-in listening experience. On the other hand, they are quite fast, which I enjoyed, until my left driver started to rattle.

Feb 18, 2010 at 6:46 PM Post #8 of 23
Cresyn C750, Sony EX500 and Turbine...........

Feb 19, 2010 at 6:42 AM Post #9 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by sebhuber /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I think that the hf5's soundstage is too small and hinders the imaging and seperation. They sound very dynamically squashed. That makes it a very closed-in listening experience. On the other hand, they are quite fast, which I enjoyed, until my left driver started to rattle.

Left driver started to rattle
confused_face_2.gif
? How long did you have them for until that started to happen?

Oh, and just to clarify, the HF5s do have the same soundstage size/separation as the ER4Ps, right? I've been assuming that since I opened this thread
redface.gif

Feb 19, 2010 at 10:33 AM Post #10 of 23
After about 3 months, I was quite sad. They gave me great isolation, but the left driver started to rattle (mostly during heavy bass lines), then it got worse. I am going to send them in though.
People say that the hf5 is the unmatched driver version of the ER4 series headphones, with a bit of added bass response. Don't quote me on this though.

Feb 19, 2010 at 6:04 PM Post #12 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by semisight /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It's true, the RE0 has an odd soundstage. If you tilt your head forward a bit when listening it almost becomes normal
tongue.gif

LOL

Feb 19, 2010 at 6:05 PM Post #13 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by ljokerl /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have not heard the Etymotics but the Panasonic HJE900 beats the RE0 for imaging.

Nice, I really want to try the Pannies. But where can you buy one for ~$100?

Feb 19, 2010 at 6:13 PM Post #14 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by Pianist /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Nice, I really want to try the Pannies. But where can you buy one for ~$100?

J&R has them for $109 shipped. Not sure they ship to Canada though.

Re: the Turbines - the HJE900 easily compete with the Turbine Pro Gold in terms of imaging. There's no way the regular Turbines can keep up.

Feb 19, 2010 at 6:24 PM Post #15 of 23
according to jr they ship to canada but i dont know what the shipping cost would be

Users who are viewing this thread

Back