Best IEMs?
Feb 24, 2010 at 11:19 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 34

PhilipV

New Head-Fier
So recently I've been really wanting a MP3 player, and with that I need a good pair of headphones. Most regular headphones dont seem to fit in my ears and just fall out, so I figured a solution would be a pair of in ear headphones. My budget is about $100 for the headphones, and If they're a little more expensive for a decent quality boost, I'll pay it. I don't listen to rap at all, maybe a little hip hop but mostly (probably 90%) of my music is rock, alternative and "indie". I'd like the earphones to last me awhile and while I do take good care of my electronics, I'd appreciate it if the cable is durable since I'll be taking this pretty much everywhere. And, they MUST be comfortable, since I listen to music in sometimes very long durations. :p. Also, I'd love it if they last a decent amount of time, when I spend nearly $100 for headphones, I'd expect them to last a few years without losing quality. I don't care for the brand name or whatever, I just want them to sound good for the music I listen to, to be durable, to have high quality, and to last a decent amount of time. Thanks all!
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 24, 2010 at 11:29 PM Post #3 of 34
If you can stretch it a bit, I highly recommend the UE triple.fis.

Feb 25, 2010 at 12:13 AM Post #4 of 34
Quote:

Originally Posted by mythless /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Take a look at the RE0, if you can extend your budget the panasonic HJE900 look pretty good. There are quite of bit of options you can choose from.

I read some reviews on the Panasonic, and most people said that they sounded very different from most IEMS, now I'm still not sure if that's a good thing or a bad thing :p.

Quote:

Originally Posted by lwells /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If you can stretch it a bit, I highly recommend the UE triple.fis.

Sadly, I do not think I'll be able to double the budget to $200 for these. :/

Feb 25, 2010 at 12:22 AM Post #5 of 34
Your music tastes are identical to mine; I haven't tried the HJE900 but I'd recommend that, from what I've read. If you don't have the money, the RE0 is almost as good. I just like the idea of the replaceable cable, especially if you have them for a while.

Feb 25, 2010 at 3:38 AM Post #7 of 34
It really depends on what you want out of your earphones. By that I mean the kind of sound you want. Do you want neutral, bassy, etc. I've had both RE0 and S4 at the same time and they are very very different from each other. good sound is different from everyone so knowing a bit more about that could help.

Feb 25, 2010 at 4:28 AM Post #8 of 34
Quote:

Originally Posted by PhilipV /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So the RE0 is a good IEM? What about the Klipsch S4? They're at the same price point and plus I can get the S4 at best buy which makes things much easier. :p

Depends on your tastes. IMO the RE0 is much better liked than the S4 by most people in the long run. Don't go for the S4 because it's easier, buy the RE0 first and try it out for a week or two. If you don't grow to like it (but you will
tongue.gif
) then you can probably still return it (I think).

Feb 25, 2010 at 4:57 AM Post #9 of 34
Quote:

Originally Posted by rawrster /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It really depends on what you want out of your earphones. By that I mean the kind of sound you want. Do you want neutral, bassy, etc. I've had both RE0 and S4 at the same time and they are very very different from each other. good sound is different from everyone so knowing a bit more about that could help.

Most of the bands I listen to don't have a lot of bass, but I'd like if the headphones had a decent amount of bass capabilities (if that makes any sense, I dont know a lot about headphones if you cant tell :p). For a better example, I like game soundtracks (Halo, for example), some bands are The Offspring, The Fray, Avenged Sevenfold, Trapt, Linkin Park, Hinder, Coldplay, Breaking Benjamin and 3 Days Grace. There's many more but that's a few of them :p.

Quote:

Originally Posted by semisight /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Depends on your tastes. IMO the RE0 is much better liked than the S4 by most people in the long run. Don't go for the S4 because it's easier, buy the RE0 first and try it out for a week or two. If you don't grow to like it (but you will
tongue.gif
) then you can probably still return it (I think).

See, that's what I'm worried about, by easier I meant that if I don't like the S4 I can take them back to best buy and get a full refund. Something I'm not sure Amazon/Head-Direct offers.

Feb 25, 2010 at 5:16 AM Post #10 of 34
I own the re0 and have extensively listened to the s4's from a friend. Having owned a whole slew of IEM's and auditioning many others (se530, se420, w3, re2, re0, tf10, sf5) I have to say that the re0 are my longstanding favorites. I currently only own the tf10 and re0 for iem's but I find myself using the re0's much more. Something about the tf10's I can't seem to like. They are V-shaped meaning emphasizing the lows and the highs (though I would say more of the lows for my personal experience).

Now, having said that, I would ask you what kind of a sound you are looking for? I listen to many of the bands you listed, including LP, Offspring, Sum 41, Blink 182, etc. But I also listen to a lot of classical music and jazz. That may perhaps bias my answer towards the re0, since the sound production I find is much more neutral and to my liking. The s4 had a bassier more "fun" sound, but at the end of the day, I was able to listen to my re0's for a longer period of time because of the sound.

Something else to consider: if you want a bit more bass going with the re0, you could spring for a fiio e3 or e5 (I use the e5) and I feel this makes my 30 seconds to Mars and Panic! sound much better.

Feb 25, 2010 at 5:37 AM Post #11 of 34
I don't really listen to jazz or classical music, pretty much all rock when it comes to me, and if itll be better, then yeah I can get that e5 amplifier. Also are the RE0s comfortable? That's something thats important to me. :p

Feb 25, 2010 at 5:56 AM Post #12 of 34
Quote:

Originally Posted by PhilipV /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I don't really listen to jazz or classical music, pretty much all rock when it comes to me, and if itll be better, then yeah I can get that e5 amplifier. Also are the RE0s comfortable? That's something thats important to me. :p

Yeah, if you wear them right they can almost disappear. Just remember they're meant to go in very shallowly. People complain of them hurting but that's because they try to shove the whole thing in. Don't.
icon10.gif

Feb 25, 2010 at 3:20 PM Post #14 of 34
Mental burn in, yes. Physical burn in is more questionable, but still likely yes.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back