best IEMs with wide sound field, detailed instrument seperation
Dec 31, 2011 at 3:42 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

phinael

New Head-Fier
Hey everyone, I'm pretty new to this site and am only a low level audiophile. I'm looking for a pair of detailed IEMs with a wide sound field that I can pick out different instruments with ease. Thick, warm bass but not booming, detailed mids and highs, but not too treble-y, very well balanced. I listed to mostly experimental music with an emphasis on stereo dynamics and intricate drums, so I want the headphones to be able to capture it well. Bands like Radiohead, the Mars Volta, Toe, LITE, the Samuel Jackson Five, if you're familiar. I'm receiving a Cowon J3 in the mail soon so perhaps keep that in mind if there are any IEMs that sound particularly great with that player. Thank you

Dec 31, 2011 at 7:19 AM Post #4 of 4
With your budget, Yamaha EPH-100 (dynamic micro-driver) are especially good with instrument separation while keeping the nice bass of dynamic driver IEMs.
They pair well with Cowon players (I used them with a Cowon D2 and a Cowon X7). I know they're not well known yet (but gaining popularity), but they excel at rendering well detailed mids (especially drums and guitar) in this price range.
I use them mostly for progressive rock and pop/rock.

I don't think you'll find a similar combination of properties with a BA-based IEM in this price range.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back