Best iems under $150?
Sep 15, 2020 at 1:55 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

jmwant

1000+ Head-Fier
What are the Best iems under $150?
Is the Moondrop Starfield still the go-to option? I've read lots of posts related to this, the most suggested IEMs around this range seems to be the Starfield and Etymotic Er2xr. The Etys seem too "penetrating" for me. Hearing a lot of praise about Fiio FH3 too. Are these the new champs of this price range ?

Sep 15, 2020 at 2:22 PM Post #2 of 11
I like both of the iems you listed, but was unable to use the Ety due to comfort. A used flc8s is around that range and a lot of fun as well. Sony ex800st are creeping down into this range used as well, if isolation is not a factor.

Sep 15, 2020 at 2:44 PM Post #3 of 11
- ISN D02 - balanced sound with potent bass, amazing soundstage and imaging for a single DD IEM, my personal favorite of all those I listed.

- NF Audio NA2 (balanced with potent bass) or NM2 (balanced) - very technically capable with excellent timbral accuracy and coherence.

- Etymotic ER2 (neutral reference w/ or w/o some slightly elevated bass) - technically capable, well tuned, superb isolation, deep insertion.

- FiiO FH3 - L-shaped and fun, with deep, fast, well textured bass, quite intimate mids, and clear treble that’s not harsh (IMO).

- ThieAudio Legacy 3 (assuming you get a good sounding copy, plagued by lots of sample variation) - well balanced sound, great imaging and soundstage.

- iBasso IT00 - warm, very potent bass, technically capable and quite detailed.

- UrbanFun YBF (assuming you get a good copy, plagued by poor QC) - very deep, potent, well textured bass; prominent and clear, but not too harsh upper midrange; clear treble.

Last edited:
Sep 15, 2020 at 7:44 PM Post #4 of 11
If you want a “neutral-ish with boosted bass“ sound signature, and like sparkly and well extended treble, the T2 Plus is a good option, and it’s only $50-$60.

Sep 15, 2020 at 10:56 PM Post #5 of 11
What are the Best iems under $150?
Is the Moondrop Starfield still the go-to option? I've read lots of posts related to this, the most suggested IEMs around this range seems to be the Starfield and Etymotic Er2xr. The Etys seem too "penetrating" for me. Hearing a lot of praise about Fiio FH3 too. Are these the new champs of this price range ?

I think u would need to give us some more details to finetune suggestions. Cause $150 is considered entry midfi for CHIFI, so it would be best to narrow down sets that suit you sound wise, if not $150 is no small expense if it turns out u don't like the sound signature.

1) What are your preferred music genres?
2) What is your preferred sound signature - neutral, V shaped, treblehead/treble sensitive, basshead/bass averse, midcentric etc
3) Will u need the IEM on the go? ie is isolation and drivability important?

Sep 17, 2020 at 6:08 PM Post #6 of 11
I think u would need to give us some more details to finetune suggestions. Cause $150 is considered entry midfi for CHIFI, so it would be best to narrow down sets that suit you sound wise, if not $150 is no small expense if it turns out u don't like the sound signature.

1) What are your preferred music genres?
2) What is your preferred sound signature - neutral, V shaped, treblehead/treble sensitive, basshead/bass averse, midcentric etc
3) Will u need the IEM on the go? ie is isolation and drivability important?
Sure!
1. That's the tricky part. I listen to prog rock, thrash metal, old school Rock, grunge, blues and electronic music. Occasionally ambient music too.
2. I still couldn't figure out what my preferred sound signature yet. I liked m50x, senn hd650 and akg k240. These three sound totally different. In iems, I hated all the KZ stuff. Right now I'm thoroughly enjoying blon bl 03 and final e3000. I guess my preferred signature should be warm neutral with lil bit of sub-bass rumble.

Sep 17, 2020 at 7:55 PM Post #9 of 11
Thanks, will surely check. What about Moondrop Blessing 2 and Final Audio e5000? These two I can source it from local seller with warranty.
They have very different sound signatures. It seems the B2 has a lot of clarity and resolution, and is neutrally tuned, but the upper midrange can sound harsh for some. The bass is of high quality but low quantity. The E5000 is a very warm (perhaps a little dark?) sounding IEM with lots of bass, but apparently with very good technicalities as well.

1600386893524.png

Sep 17, 2020 at 9:36 PM Post #10 of 11
Sure!
1. That's the tricky part. I listen to prog rock, thrash metal, old school Rock, grunge, blues and electronic music. Occasionally ambient music too.
2. I still couldn't figure out what my preferred sound signature yet. I liked m50x, senn hd650 and akg k240. These three sound totally different. In iems, I hated all the KZ stuff. Right now I'm thoroughly enjoying blon bl 03 and final e3000. I guess my preferred signature should be warm neutral with lil bit of sub-bass rumble.

If u like BLON and Final E3000, check out the TRI I3, which I think is a big upgrade over these 2.

It is around $150 or so, cheaper during sales. It is a 1 DD + 1 planar + 1 BA, weird config, but is very coherently tuned and balanced, mild U shaped.
Superb soundstage at the price, good imaging. Very smooth, warm and non fatiguing. Treble is a bit dark so not the most detailed or best clarity in treble, so trebleheads best look elsewhere. It needs amping though, as the planars are power hungry. With amping the mids are super lush, good timbre. Subbass is quite good in quantity, but not the deepest in extension.

Sep 18, 2020 at 7:12 PM Post #11 of 11
If u like BLON and Final E3000, check out the TRI I3, which I think is a big upgrade over these 2.

It is around $150 or so, cheaper during sales. It is a 1 DD + 1 planar + 1 BA, weird config, but is very coherently tuned and balanced, mild U shaped.
Superb soundstage at the price, good imaging. Very smooth, warm and non fatiguing. Treble is a bit dark so not the most detailed or best clarity in treble, so trebleheads best look elsewhere. It needs amping though, as the planars are power hungry. With amping the mids are super lush, good timbre. Subbass is quite good in quantity, but not the deepest in extension.

Thanks for your patience and help. Will check the Tri i3 out!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back