Best IEMs sub-$90
Nov 4, 2010 at 8:17 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

Mephistopheles

New Head-Fier
I need to get myself new IEMs within 1-2 days. I have a strict budget of $90 (including shipping costs). I mostly listen to Alternative, Rock, Metal etc. and some Bands I like - Pink Floyd, Coldplay, Poets of the Fall etc. I want IEMs with good soundstage, good instrument separation with depth and clarity and comfort too. They shouldn't be bass-shy (like RE2) and should have certain improvement in SQ wrt NE-6/RE2 I have previously owned. I'm currently looking at M2/M3 but wanted to know whether there are other better options for me.
Also I would like to know what tips to use for best SQ
smily_headphones1.gif

My Audio source - Clip+

Nov 4, 2010 at 11:49 AM Post #2 of 17
Brainwavz M2, Thinksound Rain, Maximo iM-590, Fischer Silver Bullet all fill most/all of your requirements, and are all $20-40 south of $90.  You could also pick up a Fiio E5 amp for $25 that will give a nice power/SQ boost to your phones.

Nov 4, 2010 at 12:25 PM Post #3 of 17
I'm in the same situation, I also need new IEMs, I'm on a lower budget, I'm looking to spend around 50€, maybe up to 60$?
I listen to rock and metal music, but also very frequently to instrumental stuff like Greg Howe or Eric Johnson, so I really appreciate clarity and instrument separation (whatever it's called).
My previous Sennheiser cx-300 are broken, but I really liked the bass, it was perfect, not too heavy but just at the right level.

Any suggestions or experiences?

Nov 4, 2010 at 12:46 PM Post #4 of 17
Shure 115 or Klipsch S4 (Shure has more Bass, but the other Sound is better on the S4)
but if you can spend a little bit more, then the Phonak Audeo perfect bass were the best value for your money! (89$)
(and if you want neutraler or neutral sound then you can buy several filters to change the sound!)

Nov 4, 2010 at 12:53 PM Post #5 of 17

Quote:
Shure 115 or Klipsch S4 (Shure has more Bass, but the other Sound is better on the S4)
but if you can spend a little bit more, then the Phonak Audeo perfect bass were the best value for your money! (89$)
(and if you want neutraler or neutral sound then you can buy several filters to change the sound!)

Thanks for the reply.
But the klipsch s4 is around 70€ on amazon, so it's a bit too expensive, don't have that much extra atm.

Nov 4, 2010 at 1:25 PM Post #9 of 17
http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/521192/er-6i-vs-ie7-both-are-under-100

I actually started that thread but no one bother to chime in
tongue.gif

Quote:
Originally Posted by SillyHoney 

Which one should I go for?

I'm starting using my iPhone as a DAP more recently since I'm walking a lot so I ripped all my music to Apple Lossless and start looking for an IEM.

Let's say the difference in price between them is not an issue. And I'm not gonna spend more than $120.

Other options are welcome except Head-Direct (nothing against them at all. I just don't like the name of the company
biggrin.gif
)

I mostly listen to Classic Rock and Blues.

DAP is iPhone 4 unamped.

I'm not a bass head but I do hate bass lacking (i.e. Don't need D7000 bass but AD700 and HD555 bass are really annoying)

Coming to IEM from experience with some nice sounding full-sizes so I cannot stand thudding or bloated bass.

Transparency and clarity are the most important factors.

Thank everybody!

beerchug.gif

PS: I think I should add Superfi 5vi as another option. Sound is the top priority but having mic built-in is great since I'm using iPhone.

Oh and while I crazily baby my headphone rig, I think my future IEM will be abused since they are supposed to be on the go. So durability is needed too.

Nov 4, 2010 at 2:55 PM Post #11 of 17

Quote:
What are the differences between Brainwavz M2 and Fisher Silver Bullet?

TBH, in the list I gave, I've only heard the Rain, so I can't go say about those 2.  If you look for the 115 IEM shootout thread by ljokerl, you will find a review of each of these phones, and many more.

Nov 5, 2010 at 2:53 AM Post #15 of 17
there are some impressions around about the m3, i was also wondering about the differences between the m2 and the m3 but i heard that the m3 has less bass than the m2 so i lost some of my interest in it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back