Best IEM's sub-$100? Trains suck.
May 18, 2007 at 1:07 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 18

petethepanda

New Head-Fier
I ride the train a couple times a day and it's noisy as hell, so I'm looking for IEMs (preferably under a hundred bucks) so I don't need to go deaf to hear my music. I use Koss Kwhatever75s and I love them, but the train is just too noisy for 'em

I mostly listen to rock and... more rock. Good bass is a big deal. Isolation, too, though they don't have to completely block out everything, just enough to make listening to music possible without killing my ears.

Suggestions? I was thinking of possibly the Mylarone x3s or whatever they're called, but I don't really know what else is out there.

Thanks in advance.

May 18, 2007 at 8:06 AM Post #4 of 18
I would be concerned about whether they can provide sufficient isolation on a train, but JVC Marshmallows and Creative EP630 canal phones (in-ear earphones that aren't true isolating in-ear monitors, or IEMs) would be an economical way to get some bass while blocking out some noise (but would they block out enough noise for your needs?). The Vibes won't isolate enough -- don't know about the JBL canal phones for your purposes (maybe someone can comment).

Lbholde's comparison of the Etymotic ER6is and the IM716s is a good one for helping consider whether one of them might be for you.

If you don't have a large head and don't mind some clamping on your temples, the K81DJ closed portable supra-aural (on-the-ear) headphones would provide bass and some isolation (although for me there's nothing like IEMS for isolation, particularly ER6i's with foamies -- for me, foamies are worth the expense for the chance to be in your own little world on public transportation).

May 18, 2007 at 11:14 AM Post #5 of 18
biggrin.gif
This is where I chime in, recommending my two current favourites again, lol: ATH CK7 & JBL Ref 220. Both are fine little performers - the ATH wins it for me on detail & bass presentation. Very enjoyable phones. Isolation with CK7s would be fine for a train - the 220s perhaps slightly less so.
Both good choices IMO.

May 20, 2007 at 4:49 PM Post #8 of 18
I don't really recommend the JVC Marshmallows they are bloated and congested ugh. I'd say the iM716, UM1, or the EP630. Good luck
biggrin.gif

May 20, 2007 at 5:55 PM Post #9 of 18
im actually looking to retire my CX300´s (so dont mention the EP630/sharp Mp33 as they are IE4 clones, sans CX300 predesasor)

and im looking at (from cheapest to most expencive), X3, CK7 ER6i, IM716s or strech a bit more on the cash and go for the Super.fi 5 EB´s,

May 21, 2007 at 2:31 PM Post #11 of 18
& also, iM716 isolates better than marshmallows & ep630
UM1s - they're ok... one of the few IEMs that allow u to lie on your sides while they're still in place... but i didn't like their recessed highs, so i guess iM716 gets my vote

May 21, 2007 at 3:12 PM Post #13 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by LaBreaHead /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I would be concerned about whether they can provide sufficient isolation on a train, but JVC Marshmallows and Creative EP630 canal phones (in-ear earphones that aren't true isolating in-ear monitors, or IEMs) would be an economical way to get some bass while blocking out some noise (but would they block out enough noise for your needs?). The Vibes won't isolate enough -- don't know about the JBL canal phones for your purposes (maybe someone can comment).

Lbholde's comparison of the Etymotic ER6is and the IM716s is a good one for helping consider whether one of them might be for you.

If you don't have a large head and don't mind some clamping on your temples, the K81DJ closed portable supra-aural (on-the-ear) headphones would provide bass and some isolation (although for me there's nothing like IEMS for isolation, particularly ER6i's with foamies -- for me, foamies are worth the expense for the chance to be in your own little world on public transportation).

EP630s are on sale at newegg for 12.99 after rebates. It was $8.99 yesterday!
frown.gif

I got a pair to see if i can stand stuffing stuff into my ear canal. Might move on to the ER6s after this.

May 21, 2007 at 5:49 PM Post #14 of 18
"EP630s are on sale at newegg for 12.99 after rebates. It was $8.99 yesterday!

I got a pair to see if i can stand stuffing stuff into my ear canal. Might move on to the ER6s after this."

Excellent deal! I like the EP630s at $30 (U.S.) -- this sale price is a great price. And it was a good strategy, pueywei, to find out first whether you like in-ears. For me, it's not a big deal, but YMMV. (Note that the Etys are smaller and, even though they insert more deeply, seem to be less of a "presence" in the ear, especially with foams or biflanges... for me, the triflanges are a different story.)

May 21, 2007 at 6:42 PM Post #15 of 18
I think the im716 is the best value in IEMs now. They use the same drivers as the ER4, although supposedly have a different sound signature (I've never heard the ER4). They isolate as well as my E3c and UM1 and sound better than either. I don't like the tips that come with them, but, with effort, you can get Shure tips on them. Right now, I'm using the long Comply tips, and they are very comfortable. I put them in upside down and put the cord over my ears. This eliminates almost all of the microphonics. Without putting the cords over my ears, I find them unlistenable if I move at all.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back