Best IEMs in under $200
Sep 6, 2012 at 4:26 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

Alpina

Head-Fier
Hey guys, you prolly saw hundreds of similar questions, so thx in advance :D

So currently i got Klipsch S3 headphones with Cowon i9 player and i am looking for an headphone upgrade in under ~200$.

Now i checked the comparisons and came to Hifiman Re-262. Is it worth upgrade over my S3? Also it got very high impedance 150Ω, won't it make sound much lower overall or not? I don't really want to by separate amp.

And maybe there are better headphones for such price? But 149$ for Re-262 looks really nice :)

Sep 6, 2012 at 5:04 AM Post #2 of 11
Probably, unamped the best imo is the GR07. I really like the RE262 as a contender amped. Pick up a used Fiio E11 and you're still very near the $200 mark.

Sep 6, 2012 at 5:52 AM Post #4 of 11
GR07 price recently increased due to a warranty extension of two years, which now makes it harder to recommend. At 150ohms you're going to need an amp for RE262. Considering you don't want an amp I suggest you take a look at Triple.fi 10 and Yamaha EPH-100. Both have their own appreciation threads here and great reviews.

Take a look in here at other options too.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/478568/multi-iem-review-252-iems-compared-jvc-ha-fx40-and-ha-fxd80-added-09-05-12

Sep 6, 2012 at 5:57 AM Post #5 of 11
GR07 and RE262 both are very good but have a very different sound signature.
GR07 is neutral and can sound a little bright. RE262 is warm, sweet and full sounding.
For most DAP's you will need an amp for RE262. What kind of sound are you looking for?

Sep 6, 2012 at 7:34 AM Post #6 of 11
Quote:
GR07 and RE262 both are very good but have a very different sound signature.
GR07 is neutral and can sound a little bright. RE262 is warm, sweet and full sounding.
For most DAP's you will need an amp for RE262. What kind of sound are you looking for?

I don't even know lol. Well i listen mostly hard rock, pop and some heavy metal.
Quote:
GR07 price recently increased due to a warranty extension of two years, which now makes it harder to recommend. At 150ohms you're going to need an amp for RE262. Considering you don't want an amp I suggest you take a look at Triple.fi 10 and Yamaha EPH-100. Both have their own appreciation threads here and great reviews.
Take a look in here at other options too.
http://www.head-fi.org/t/478568/multi-iem-review-252-iems-compared-jvc-ha-fx40-and-ha-fxd80-added-09-05-12

Triple.fi 10 are far from my price range of 200$. 

I checked my current Klipsch S3 and it got 18 ohms, so let's say i buy GR07, which got 50ohm, does that mean I will have considerable drop in sound level compared to my current ones? Because my current got very high sound with my Cowon i don't want it to drop.

Sep 6, 2012 at 8:04 AM Post #8 of 11
Triple.fi 10 are far from my price range of 200$. 

I checked my current Klipsch S3 and it got 18 ohms, so let's say i buy GR07, which got 50ohm, does that mean I will have considerable drop in sound level compared to my current ones? Because my current got very high sound with my Cowon i don't want it to drop.

Sorry I assumed you were in Amercia and can purchase them through Amazon for $168.00

GR07 (which I own) will require slightly higher volume amounts bringing them up to decent listening levels. I have no problem powering them from say...an ipod touch or classic. and use them fulltime with a Cowon C2. What Cowon player do you have? Because GR07 react differently with lower output impedance players.

Sep 6, 2012 at 8:29 AM Post #9 of 11
Quote:
Sorry I assumed you were in Amercia and can purchase them through Amazon for $168.00
GR07 (which I own) will require slightly higher volume amounts bringing them up to decent listening levels. I have no problem powering them from say...an ipod touch or classic. and use them fulltime with a Cowon C2. What Cowon player do you have? Because GR07 react differently with lower output impedance players.

I got Cowon i9. Btw, can i ship to Europe from Amazon.com? Because that's so cheap and even if shipment would cost a lot it would still be decent price lol.

yello131, gonna check them :)

Sep 6, 2012 at 9:08 AM Post #10 of 11
I got Cowon i9. Btw, can i ship to Europe from Amazon.com? Because that's so cheap and even if shipment would cost a lot it would still be decent price lol.

yello131, gonna check them :)

Not sure about Europe, but I recently came so close to replacing my lost TF10s from Amazon, that I got all the way through to the final page and even with 3day shipping was just on $200. Decided to buy W4Rs instead just in case the TF10s show up one day. At $168 they are great value and a nice earphone so long as you take the time to get the best fit. For me it was flip flop mode which is well documented here.

The EPH100 are a dynamic with good bass and mids but treble is a tad underdone. But that makes them an easy phone to listen to without tiring.

No experience with the others mentioned here.

Sep 6, 2012 at 10:14 AM Post #11 of 11
GR01 is so underrated around here. It is definitely one of the best under $200.

EDIT: price has went up above $200 in Amazon 
confused_face.gif
. Still below $200 on ebay.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back