Best IEM's in terms of sound:price ratio
Apr 26, 2007 at 7:07 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 51

jayzen

New Head-Fier
Hie there,

Was burgled yesterday..... got tons of stuff stolen including my new laptop, mp3 player, my Sennheiser CX300 and Shure E5C.

*groan*

Right..... so now I'm looking for a new pair of IEMs. I don't have a budget but i don't want to jump on the most expensive IEM out there as well. I can go all out just like I did before with the Shure E5C, or even anything cheap but has an overall excellent sound signature, like the Sen CX300.

Reason why I'm not totally ready to jump on the top end ones, is becoz' I don't like the Shure E5C sound....... those who said it was warm.... I'd say it was muddled...... gone were all the details I normally hear even on my cheapo old Sonys MDR-XD200.

That was why I ended up with the Senns CX300.... didn't believe the hype anymore about paying top Euro for something that produced (IMHO) subpar results. I was totally surprised with the CX300 being able to produce enough detail and yet wasn't overwhelmed with booming bass.

So, what I'd like to ask is for your recommendation/opinion on:

1) non-mold IEMs
2) no Shure E5C "warm" (what I would call :muddy") sound signature
3) what in your opinion is the best IEM in terms of detail and just enough bass, and the best sound/price ratio ie. value for money.

Apr 26, 2007 at 7:25 AM Post #4 of 51
I'd say the Shure E1, but as this one is discontinued, you might try the follow-up: the E3C. The E1 has excellent midrange, high freq. response and accurate bass. The E3C takes on this road, very different from the E2C en E5C. From what I've heard, the E4C has a more energetic soundsignature, but you lose the coldness/analytical side. To me, the E1 sounds a bit like the Ety ER4, but without the harshness (tiny sound). Both are cold and analytical sounding though. I'd stay away from the UM2, cause it sounds a lot like the E5C. The super.fi 5 pro probably isn't for you either.

Apr 26, 2007 at 7:40 AM Post #5 of 51
For what its worth, I have a Cowon D2, like you are thinking of getting.

I just spent all day at the 2007 Head-Fi meet listening to over 10 IEMs with the D2.

To my ears, the Superfi.5Pro's were the winners on almost all levels, and I bought a pair. I'm really liking them with the D2. A great match for the D@, imho.

I posted my (funky) review & comparisons on this forum:
http://www.head-fi.org/forums/showth...hlight=electro

Apr 26, 2007 at 1:42 PM Post #6 of 51
Shure E4 at $180 is a good deal. Great clarity and detail with adequate bass. Some of the other new Shure SE models may also be worth a look and, of course the Super Fi Pro, also at around $160.

Apr 26, 2007 at 4:09 PM Post #7 of 51
Crossroads Mylarthree, also known as Mylarones X3 seem to offer good value. I ordered a pair from www.jaben.net for 57 USD including worldwide shipping. I'll post my own impressions as soon as they get here.

They're all the rage in Singapore and those who have heard them seem to really enjoy the SQ. Since I've not heard them myself yet I can't personally recommend them, but they certainly seem worth looking into at that price point.

Thread about them: http://www.head-fi.org/forums/showthread.php?t=236356
I hope I'll like them as much as the guys in Singapore
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 26, 2007 at 4:36 PM Post #8 of 51
I would have to go with the Shure E4c, still impresses me today even though I have the E500

Apr 26, 2007 at 4:44 PM Post #9 of 51
Quote:

Originally Posted by in_the_membrane /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Crossroads Mylarthree, also known as Mylarones X3 seem to offer good value. I ordered a pair from www.jaben.net for 57 USD including worldwide shipping. I'll post my own impressions as soon as they get here.

They're all the rage in Singapore and those who have heard them seem to really enjoy the SQ. Since I've not heard them myself yet I can't personally recommend them, but they certainly seem worth looking into at that price point.

Thread about them: http://www.head-fi.org/forums/showthread.php?t=236356
I hope I'll like them as much as the guys in Singapore
smily_headphones1.gif

I agree, I haven't heard them myself but from what people are saying they seem to be an excellent value for the price (esp. if you like a little extra bass with your earbuds).

BTW, I am sorry to hear about your loss.

Apr 26, 2007 at 6:23 PM Post #12 of 51
Quote:

Originally Posted by electro house /img/forum/go_quote.gif
For what its worth, I have a Cowon D2, like you are thinking of getting.

I just spent all day at the 2007 Head-Fi meet listening to over 10 IEMs with the D2.

To my ears, the Superfi.5Pro's were the winners on almost all levels, and I bought a pair. I'm really liking them with the D2. A great match for the D@, imho.

I posted my (funky) review & comparisons on this forum:
http://www.head-fi.org/forums/showth...hlight=electro

Oh cool! Thanks very much for that link..... it's definitely helped me narrow down my options. I was hoping for some1 from the forum who has the D2 as well, so they can suggest which IEM they have successfully paired up with the D2.

Apr 26, 2007 at 6:28 PM Post #13 of 51
Quote:

Originally Posted by sidewinder /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'd say the Shure E1, but as this one is discontinued, you might try the follow-up: the E3C. The E1 has excellent midrange, high freq. response and accurate bass. The E3C takes on this road, very different from the E2C en E5C. From what I've heard, the E4C has a more energetic soundsignature, but you lose the coldness/analytical side. To me, the E1 sounds a bit like the Ety ER4, but without the harshness (tiny sound). Both are cold and analytical sounding though. I'd stay away from the UM2, cause it sounds a lot like the E5C. The super.fi 5 pro probably isn't for you either.

Does the E4C sound very different from the E5C? Is it as muddy as well?

I found no matter what settings and EQ I changed with my iRiver iHP-120, I found the mids were still recessed. Overwhelmed by the bass. And if I changed the flanges, they'd have okay mids but waaaaaay too forward highs, that they caused sibliance and hurt my ears.

Apr 26, 2007 at 6:32 PM Post #14 of 51
The just-released Future Sonics Atrio m5 is pretty startlingly good. I've loved the older model EM3 for years now, and on my first listen the Atrio beat the EM3 handily. The Atrio has about a much detail as the Etymotics ER6 (but isn't as sibilant), as well as full, natural bass response that you won't get on almost any other IEMs (supposedly the Shure E500 might match or beat it, but that's significantly more expensive and has more drivers). My Atrio isn't even fully burned-in yet, and I'm already thoroughly impressed but the expansive soundstage, high end detail, and low end response. Definitely worth consideration if you like having realistic-sounding bass from your IEMs.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back