Best IEM's I can get for under $90?
Jun 16, 2011 at 10:53 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

SR71

New Head-Fier
I'm looking for some good IEM's that are under $90, have good sound quality, are comfortable, durable, have good bass, and be compatible with my iPhone, and I figured this forum would be the best place to ask! :)

So, can anyone lead me in the right direction? Right now I've got my eye on the Bose IE2's as they have excellent reviews on Amazon and are in the $90 price range.

So, if you've got any recommendations, please share them by posting in this thread!

Jun 17, 2011 at 1:47 AM Post #7 of 16
I'd suggest you try the Spider RealVoice.  Combined with real Sony Hybrid tips they get pretty good bass.  Also,Spider has great customer service and if you don't like them, you can return them in 30 days.

Jun 17, 2011 at 10:00 AM Post #9 of 16
You can also get the Meelec CC51P. They come with a microphone and should be compatible to your iPhone. Also they are a really cheap at amazon.com (= 55$):

http://www.amazon.com/MEElectronics-Clarity-Headphone-Microphone-Smartphones/dp/B004OBZ2YU/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1308318945&sr=8-1

Soundwise I would say they are far superior to the Klipsch S4, which had way too much sibilance and harshness for my taste. This might lessen after some serious burn-in, but I could not wait that long when I had them -> I returned them.

The bass should be strong enough for you. The cable is pretty thin, but seems durable enough for me. The shirt clip is atrocious and you should be careful when removing it. Apart from that the plug has an okayish good strain relieve and the ceramic housing does not only look good but is harder than any plastic you can normally find on IEMs. The price (55$) is more than right!

Here a review: http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/556373/meelectronics-cc-51p-review (you can find some more using the search function of the forum)

Jun 17, 2011 at 10:09 AM Post #10 of 16

Quote:
I'd suggest you try the Spider RealVoice.  Combined with real Sony Hybrid tips they get pretty good bass.  Also,Spider has great customer service and if you don't like them, you can return them in 30 days.

2x, and mine is for sale :)

Jun 17, 2011 at 3:40 PM Post #11 of 16
I ended up buying the [size=x-small]NuForce NE-700X along with the Comply T-400 Series Foam Tips. I'll post in this thread when I get them and I'll tell you guys how I like em![/size]

[size=x-small]Also, for those that are wondering, I bought both through Amazon and the total price was $80, which I think is great since I've heard such good things about these headphones. :)[/size]

Jun 17, 2011 at 8:44 PM Post #12 of 16

Quote:
You can also get the Meelec CC51P. They come with a microphone and should be compatible to your iPhone. Also they are a really cheap at amazon.com (= 55$):

http://www.amazon.com/MEElectronics-Clarity-Headphone-Microphone-Smartphones/dp/B004OBZ2YU/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1308318945&sr=8-1

Soundwise I would say they are far superior to the Klipsch S4, which had way too much sibilance and harshness for my taste. This might lessen after some serious burn-in, but I could not wait that long when I had them -> I returned them.

The bass should be strong enough for you. The cable is pretty thin, but seems durable enough for me. The shirt clip is atrocious and you should be careful when removing it. Apart from that the plug has an okayish good strain relieve and the ceramic housing does not only look good but is harder than any plastic you can normally find on IEMs. The price (55$) is more than right!

Here a review: http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/556373/meelectronics-cc-51p-review (you can find some more using the search function of the forum)

If I don't like the NuForce NE-700X, I'll buy those ones and see how they are, but based on the reviews for the NuForce NE-700X, I'm probably going to love them. :)

Jun 18, 2011 at 2:31 AM Post #13 of 16
I've heard all three and definitely prefer the Spider's.

Nuforce 700x is solid  but using the stock tips the bass really overpowered the very recessed midrange.  I never bothered to try other tips because there was too much bass for my taste.  Usually bassier IEM's tend to be dark sounding, but I thought these tended towards clarifty.  However they seem to be a bit more prone to sibilance then most IEM's I've heard and if you have medium or smaller ear canals, you may have problems with them staying in.

The Meelectronics CC51P emphasizes treble and bass but IMHO it just doesn't sound very good.  Wearing them for an an hour was kind of nauseating.   I thought it produced bass somewhere between the Spider RealVoice using stock tips and real Sony Hybrid tips.

The Spider RealVoice were pretty neutral although with real Sony Hybrid tips, they do get quite a bit of lower bass (too much for my taste).  I preferred using the stock tips but there appears to be a rather large size difference between the M and L tips, so I really couldn't get a really good fit.  However, Spyder's customer service rep, Tiffany, said she will send me a pair of tips between the M and L sizes as soon as they arrive from their supplier in China.  Also, these can't be worn over ear. 

Jun 18, 2011 at 4:09 AM Post #14 of 16
I have a pair of Klipsch S4s and I love them. Granted, I haven't had the chance to use the IEMs mentioned from from personal experience, these are amazing. I'm still in the process of burning them in but I am amazing and how these sound. They are crisp and clear but with a nice amount of bass. I'd definitely recommend them.

Jun 18, 2011 at 5:30 AM Post #15 of 16
I got some of the Nuforce NE-700X's and so far very happy with them.  Still using the stock tips but considering purchase of some Comply tips.  Nuforce also has a stellar reputation for customer service which impressed me, but it's all in the sound with which I'm quite pleased from my iPod Touch 4g and my MacBook Pro.  On the MacBook Pro am listening now to some lossless files through the Fidelia music app.  All of which seem to sound very good on the 700x's.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back