Best IEMs for use in the office
Jan 8, 2017 at 5:27 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

malibuboats91

Head-Fier
Hi everyone...I recently upgraded to the iPhone 7 and am in the market for some IEMs that have a 3.5mm jack for use at work with my computer. Last year at this time I tried out the RHA MA750iSoundMAGIC E10S, and Sennheiser Momentum IEMs and ended up sticking with my EarPods due to the fact that I could still hear when people wanted to get my attention when I had both earbuds in (I work in a cubicle so my back is to the isle). I think that is because the EarPods are not sealed off or geared towards keeping sounds out. Now given my situation of selling my old EarPods I was considering getting AirPods, but from what I've read I wonder if I'd be better off waiting before going wireless. Does anyone have any other suggestions for IEMs that would be good for use in the office and have decent bass? Or should I just order the AirPods? Any help would be much appreciated! 

Jan 8, 2017 at 5:54 PM Post #2 of 10
  Hi everyone...I recently upgraded to the iPhone 7 and am in the market for some IEMs that have a 3.5mm jack for use at work with my computer. Last year at this time I tried out the RHA MA750iSoundMAGIC E10S, and Sennheiser Momentum IEMs and ended up sticking with my EarPods due to the fact that I could still hear when people wanted to get my attention when I had both earbuds in (I work in a cubicle so my back is to the isle). I think that is because the EarPods are not sealed off or geared towards keeping sounds out. Now given my situation of selling my old EarPods I was considering getting AirPods, but from what I've read I wonder if I'd be better off waiting before going wireless. Does anyone have any other suggestions for IEMs that would be good for use in the office and have decent bass? Or should I just order the AirPods? Any help would be much appreciated! 

You just need to be cognizant of the fact that if you go wireless, you will be sacrificing sound quality when compared to wired. In my opinion, if you are talking about a solid set of phones/IEMs, the difference is significant. So, that's a decision you need to make at the outset.

Jan 8, 2017 at 5:58 PM Post #3 of 10
  You just need to be cognizant of the fact that if you go wireless, you will be sacrificing sound quality when compared to wired. In my opinion, if you are talking about a solid set of phones/IEMs, the difference is significant. So, that's a decision you need to make at the outset.

That's my concern because I'm somewhat of an audiophile. At home I have a few different sets of headphones, but typically use my V-Moda M100s. The issue comes in when I'm looking for something at the office where I need to be able to hear when someone says my name. I'm pretty jumpy so I pretty much shoot through the roof when someone taps me on the shoulder lol. Given my needs, any suggestions? Thanks!  

Jan 8, 2017 at 6:21 PM Post #4 of 10

That's my concern because I'm somewhat of an audiophile. At home I have a few different sets of headphones, but typically use my V-Moda M100s. The issue comes in when I'm looking for something at the office where I need to be able to hear when someone says my name. I'm pretty jumpy so I pretty much shoot through the roof when someone taps me on the shoulder lol. Given my needs, any suggestions? Thanks!  

Gotcha. Well, if I were in your situation, I would either go with something like the AirPod or something where I could hear what was going on around me. For me, that would mean traditional, old-fashioned earbuds. Fortunately, there are some good ones now. I like The Venture Electronics (VE) Zen 2 or Monk. There is also the Shozy Cygnus and the TY HI-Z 650. Some of these are only gettable on aliexpress, fyi. There are tons more--you can read about them on Head Gear under earbuds, if you wish. Given everything you have outlined, something like the aforementioned is what I would go with. If you change your mind and decide you don't need to hear around you, I would go with a nice closed can based on your target price. Hope that helps.

Jan 8, 2017 at 6:37 PM Post #5 of 10
  Gotcha. Well, if I were in your situation, I would either go with something like the AirPod or something where I could hear what was going on around me. For me, that would mean traditional, old-fashioned earbuds. Fortunately, there are some good ones now. I like The Venture Electronics (VE) Zen 2 or Monk. There is also the Shozy Cygnus and the TY HI-Z 650. Some of these are only gettable on aliexpress, fyi. There are tons more--you can read about them on Head Gear under earbuds, if you wish. Given everything you have outlined, something like the aforementioned is what I would go with. If you change your mind and decide you don't need to hear around you, I would go with a nice closed can based on your target price. Hope that helps.

Thanks! I wonder what other people who sit in cubicles wear. I didn't like the fact that my ears felt sealed off making it hard to hear people. When I'd only have one in I'd feel kinda off balance if that makes sense. 

Jan 8, 2017 at 7:51 PM Post #6 of 10

Thanks! I wonder what other people who sit in cubicles wear. I didn't like the fact that my ears felt sealed off making it hard to hear people. When I'd only have one in I'd feel kinda off balance if that makes sense. 

Sure. Most people that we hear from here on head-fi who are in cubicles wear isolating headphones (Over-ear or IEMs). For some reason, they aren't as concerned about being able to hear. Some are, for sure. But most wear closed for the quiet they afford.

Jan 8, 2017 at 7:57 PM Post #7 of 10
Sure. Most people that we hear from here on head-fi who are in cubicles wear isolating headphones (Over-ear or IEMs). For some reason, they aren't as concerned about being able to hear. Some are, for sure. But most wear closed for the quiet they afford.

The guys I work with call me squirrel because I'm so jumpy when they come up behind me lol.

Jan 9, 2017 at 8:56 AM Post #8 of 10
Generally, I never use dynamic driver IEMs(earbuds or in ears) in office environment. They usually have vents in them that leaks sound. I try to stay with BA IEMs/CIEMs. 

If you're feeling wireless, I say go for it. I'm an avid fan of BT iems, and think they're just as capable as their wired counterparts in the price range.

Jan 9, 2017 at 9:21 AM Post #9 of 10
Generally, I never use dynamic driver IEMs(earbuds or in ears) in office environment. They usually have vents in them that leaks sound. I try to stay with BA IEMs/CIEMs. 

If you're feeling wireless, I say go for it. I'm an avid fan of BT iems, and think they're just as capable as their wired counterparts in the price range.

Any wireless suggestions?

Jan 9, 2017 at 9:30 AM Post #10 of 10
Any wireless suggestions?

HBS910 is my main suggestion if you want clean and flat sound.
If you're into warmer sound, the SBH80.

I've tried both in a little cubicle and they don't leak any sounds and isolate enough for office use. I'm working on a review for the HBS910, but you can find my review for the SBH80 if you search it here on head-fi.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back