Best IEMs for up to 100$ for acoustic & rock
Sep 2, 2016 at 4:18 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

sela

New Head-Fier
Yes, I know there are many such threads, but I'm looking for the best IEMs for my preferences.

I am looking for IEMs that sound great with acoustic recordings: very transparent, neutral and detailed. I'm also looking for ones that are great all-around, especially for rock/alternative/indie, with bass which is present but not overblown.

I currently have MEElectronics M161P that I love, but I'm looking for an extra pair. Preferably something even better. For my headphone, I have HIFIMAN HE-400, which are amazing, but I don't think I can get similar sound with IEMs. I could increase my budget and go over 100$ if it is justified, but my impression is that beyond this price point it's diminishing returns, esp. when I plan to use these mostly unamped.

Few options I'm considering: Fiio EX1 (supposed to be the same as Dunu titan 1 but cheaper), 1MORE triple driver, SoundMagic E80.

Any one of these, or maybe something else?

Sep 2, 2016 at 7:59 AM Post #2 of 5
Was going to wholeheartedly recommend looking into the SoundMAGIC E80 until I saw it was already on your list. I used these IEMs as daily drivers for several months listening to primarily the exact same genres (acoustic & rock) and I don't think you can do much better for the money.

Hope this helps.

Sep 2, 2016 at 8:24 AM Post #3 of 5
The RHA ma750 is great for rock. Also has a 3year warranty and super solid construction. I wouldn't use them if you are super sensitive to treble (as I am) as they tend to be a bit bright, but they still have very good bass that definitely doesn't overpower the mids. Great detail as well.

Sep 2, 2016 at 5:48 PM Post #4 of 5
Ok, no final decision yet, but it looks like its likely to be the E80. I'm a bit concerned the ma750 might be a bit over-bright for me.

I've found some reviews comparing the E80 to the titan 1. Some liked the E80 better, and some found the titan 1 better. The E80 are cheaper and have better isolation, so they get extra points for that. It also looks like they are more neutral while the titan 1 are a bit v-shaped.

Still, I wonder how the 1More are compared to the other two.

Sep 13, 2016 at 2:56 AM Post #5 of 5
Update:

I eventually did buy the E80. At first, I tried them with my smartphone and was quite disappointed. They sounded much worse than my other IEMs. Almost lifeless.

I then decided to try them with a better setup, and connected them to my IHIFI 812V2. And boy, I was blown away! They sound amazing! Significantly better than my M161P.

It looks like the E80 are much less efficient than my other earphones, and my phone is a bit underpowered to drive them properly. And maybe these are also less forgiving with lower-quality source.

Looks like the next step would be to buy a portable DAC/amp for my phone. I'll start another thread for this.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back