best iems for under $500 with no amp ?
Oct 1, 2007 at 12:20 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

JayJayz

100+ Head-Fier
i want a super portable rig and i do have an amp but i couldnt really be assed taking it around everywhere.

i will just use the headphone out of an ipod. ive been looking at the er4's the triple.fi's and the e500's.

help me decide, i listen to alot of electronica namely trance etc.

Oct 1, 2007 at 12:42 AM Post #3 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by penger /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well if you like listening to trance and techno, the E500's are a good choice given the bass presence they provide.

well, i have to strongly disagree here. it is an enormous misconception that the sole criterion for a good techno music headphone is bass and bass only. this simply isn't true. with trance and techno, where bass is present throughout the entire song, you want the bass to be extremely tight and punchy but not overpowering in any way, as it will completely obscure the rest of the music. this happens with the e500s, especially because the highs are already recessed. when you throw the bass quantity of the e500s into the mix, dance music sounds extremely one dimensional.

the shures are definitely great for certain music, just not as a primary headphone for electronic music. in my opinion you want to find something as balanced as possible. unfortunately, with IEMs, outside of the UE-10 pro i haven't been able to find it.

Oct 1, 2007 at 12:45 AM Post #4 of 11
ER-4Ps are just too good to be ignored.

Oct 1, 2007 at 12:59 AM Post #5 of 11
Maybe you should wait for the community's impression on the q-jays, or bite the bullet and try it yourself. They're supposed to have the ER4S sound signature with great bass to match--I think that combo would be next to heaven indeed.

Oct 1, 2007 at 1:39 AM Post #6 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by penger /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well if you like listening to trance and techno, the E500's are a good choice given the bass presence they provide.

i definitely have to agree here. I've owned my E500's for two months now and I'm a huge techno fan... big time, its basically all I listen to. They have great bass extension.

Oct 1, 2007 at 1:45 AM Post #7 of 11
I don't listen to a lot of techno, so I can only comment on the e500's in a general sense. I think that they hold up very well without an amp. I just tried them with and without an amp and they don't lose nearly as much impact without am amp as my other phones.

Oct 1, 2007 at 1:49 AM Post #8 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by greydragon /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Maybe you should wait for the community's impression on the q-jays, or bite the bullet and try it yourself. They're supposed to have the ER4S sound signature with great bass to match--I think that combo would be next to heaven indeed.

I think you just described my Livewires customs, which at $249 + $15 for impressions meets the OP's budget.

For the OP, I have Shure E500 and I too recommend those, not because of bass only for electronic or techno, but because they have everything including the nice punch in the bass..

Oct 1, 2007 at 1:52 AM Post #9 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by Logman /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I don't listen to a lot of techno, so I can only comment on the e500's in a general sense. I think that they hold up very well without an amp. I just tried them with and without an amp and they don't lose nearly as much impact without am amp as my other phones.

i'm going to be honest, i personally cannot hear a difference between the E500's amped through a tomahawk and not. Absolutely none really. It's not because I'm deaf either, I can hear a clear difference between my HD650's amped by my tomahawk and not. The moral of the story is that the E500's are great without an amp IMO.

Oct 1, 2007 at 2:05 AM Post #10 of 11
Don't forget, the Tomahawk has a 1:1 gain for IEM's, so they don't boost from the headphone jack, they are useful when driving headphones from the Ipod's line out via the dock connector. But, it wont sound better than the source, it will only sound as good as your ipod, hence the same if using headphone out.

Oct 1, 2007 at 2:08 AM Post #11 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by HeadphoneAddict /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Don't forget, the Tomahawk has a 1:1 gain for IEM's, so they don't boost from the headphone jack, they are useful when driving headphones from the Ipod's line out via the dock connector. But, it wont sound better than the source, it will only sound as good as your ipod, hence the same if using headphone out.

yeah, i'm using a turbo dock and really can't hear a difference

Users who are viewing this thread

Back