Best IEMs for under $30?
Feb 22, 2013 at 11:22 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

djsavage

New Head-Fier
Don't worry, I've done a bit of searching around on this site before making this thread
biggrin.gif

Before I name what I have found, I'll let you guys know my music tastes. These IEMs will be used only with my Samsung GS3, I have headphones for my PC. I listen mostly to Rock, Metal, Melodic Deathcore, punk, SKA, and a bit of dubstep/DnB. I love listening to music while I workout, it helps me pump up for the heavy weights, hence the Melodic Deathcore/metal music :)
I'm not too worried about build quality, as most of these already have pretty good quality and durability, but I do care if they are really uncomfortable or fall out easy. It just drives me insane if the IEMs fall out during a heavy squat set.
Budget under $30, but if there is a pair just a little bit above that I can try to work something out :wink:
After searching some threads I've found the following

Monoprice 8320
JVC HAFX1X Xtreme-Xplosivs
JVC HAFX40B
Philips SHE3580
Sennheiser CX 300
Soundmagic E10

Which ones would fit my tastes the best? Are there any other good ones that would fit my tatses?Thanks in advance fellow Hi-Fiers!

Feb 22, 2013 at 11:47 AM Post #2 of 13
The monoprice is a great little iem for its price, but I'm afraid it'll be outclassed by its more expensive brethren. Its noticeably slow and blurred. Comfort/falling out is also an issue unless you get memory foam tips or do custom molds.
Not to make your job harder but you might want to add the Sony mh1(c) to your list. What I would suggest is find somewhere with a good return policy and try a couple out

Feb 23, 2013 at 1:47 AM Post #4 of 13
I've owned the Soundmagic E10 which are pretty amazing, CX 300 not as good as the E10's & the VSonic Gr02 Bass ($36) which is better than both so VSonic GR02 Bass > SoundMAGIC E10 > Sennheiser CX 300. Also forgot to add Do You Even Lift mate?

Feb 23, 2013 at 3:46 AM Post #6 of 13
Okay let me rephrase it. The bass on the VSonic GR02 BE Knocks your head back and forth & I'm assuming OP likes his bass since he listens to dubstep, soundstage wise is leaning more towards a club than a rave/concert, also the Vocals are clearer than the E10's, definitely clearer than the CX 300 IMO the CX 300 sounds like trash compared to the Vsonic's. I'm not really good at describing Lows-Mids & highs but I do OWN the three of the pairs & the VSonic GR02 Bass definitely trumps the two although the E10's not by much. I enjoy the bass & Vocals on the Gr02 more than the Soundmagic E10's though.

For $36 the VSonic GR02 is definitely a steal, heck I would pay double for them. I haven't read a single bad comment regarding the price to sound ratio. Very generous with the ear tips as well (14 PAIRS). As a frequent gym goer myself these are perfect for the gym as they isolate very well if you use the hybrid tips & make me lift like a maniac brb 440lbs deadlift for reps with ease light weight buddy.

Feb 23, 2013 at 10:34 AM Post #7 of 13
Currently have the list narrowed down to MEElectronics M6 vs VSonic GR02 Bass Edition.
I did look at the Sony MH1C's and they are just out of my price range. And to clarify, I mostly listen to bands such as All That Remains, Bullet For My Valentine, Five Finger Death Punch, Trivium, Raintime, Disturbed, Avenged Sevenfold, and Red. I also like Linkin Park, Three Days Grace, Thousand Foot Krutch, Rise Against, Papa Roach, Pillar, Green Day, and Foo Fighters. I also listen to SKA such as Reel Big Fish and Streetlight Manifesto. I'm just starting to get into that genre, but it seems like it sounds good with any sort of IEM :D And lastly I listen to A BIT of dubstep/DnB. It's mostly the bands that I stated above. I love the fast metal guitar and the sick drum solos along with the double bass pedals, I don't listen to full out screamo. There are lyrics being sung in my music so I'd like to be able to hear that also, that's why its melodic death metal :D It just gets me pumped. And yeah Fixation, I do lift bro :)

Feb 23, 2013 at 2:58 PM Post #9 of 13
I don't have any input regarding the M6 vs the GR02, but in the event you get the M6, make sure you get the black version and not the clear version. There is an issue with the clear cable where it stiffens up when exposed to moisture (sweat). This happened to mine and I had to get a replacement. They're good for the price though.

Feb 23, 2013 at 6:12 PM Post #10 of 13
Quote:
I don't have any input regarding the M6 vs the GR02, but in the event you get the M6, make sure you get the black version and not the clear version. There is an issue with the clear cable where it stiffens up when exposed to moisture (sweat). This happened to mine and I had to get a replacement. They're good for the price though.

Thanks for the tip :)

Feb 23, 2013 at 7:13 PM Post #11 of 13
I haven't tried the M6 but I've read people prefer the sound of the gr02 more than the m6. Take a look at Joker's "Multi IEM Thread" the Gr02 bass gets a 7.6 in sound quality & a 10/10 in value whilst the M6 only got a 5.6 in sound quality & a 9/10 in value. The build quality on the M6 looks pretty good for frequent gym abuse though but I picked the VSonic Gr02 bass over the m6 because sound quality comes first & build quality on them are actually pretty good as well.

Feb 24, 2013 at 5:15 AM Post #12 of 13
I have to say that the GR02s would be the way to go, they feel pretty solid for the price and sound amazing as well. I go jogging a lot and these don't fall out as long as you wear them over ear.

Feb 25, 2013 at 1:47 AM Post #13 of 13
I think in terms of bass quality, the GR02 has the M6 beat out, but in terms of quantity? I'm not quite sure.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back