Best IEM's for sleeping
Dec 23, 2009 at 1:13 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

sixshades

New Head-Fier
Hi,
I've been used to falling asleep with with my flac tunes playin through my Cowon D2+ and some iem's for a while now and I was wondering if anyone knows of a good step up in quality for the IEM's whilst still being able to lie on a pillow. Whilst my ultimate goal is audio quality I have to doff my cap to the fact that comfort is the most pressing factor in using earphones in bed.
I have used Sennhieser Cx300's and Sony MDR-EX71SLB for a while now and seem to prefer the Sony's for comfort but their sound is ok, not great. The CX300's have more bass but are a little muddied to my ears.

I was wondering if anyone knows of a good step up in quality whilst still being able to lie on a pillow with the IEM's in place. There are obviously lots of IEM's that sound great but a lot of them protrude quite a bit from the ear canal compared to the ones I've mentioned. I'm open to opinions to find the happy median between comfort at rest and sound purity. If it helps, I like to mix my music between female vocals such as Eva Cassidy, Susan Boyle and the guitar riffs of Pink Floyd and Metallica.

Oh, and after this, I want the moon on a stick please, thanks
wink.gif

Dec 23, 2009 at 1:34 AM Post #2 of 13
Soundmagic PL50 is pretty much perfect for sleeping. I've also managed to sleep in the side in the lower-end PL30 and the Meelectronics Ai-M6.

All three are upgrades over the CX300, especially the PL50 and M6.

Dec 23, 2009 at 2:31 AM Post #3 of 13
I regularly fall asleep with a pair of Jays q-JAYS in my ears. They are extremely small, and don't protrude out of my ears at all. Not to mention that I love how they sound. Only problem I have is that one of my cats chewed on the cord while I was asleep, so I have some unsightly electrical taped on the cord now
frown.gif

Dec 23, 2009 at 2:54 AM Post #4 of 13
I would also suggest the Audio TechnicaCK10 which are extremly small and meant to be worn over the ears. They are next on my list and one of the main reasons for getting them in addition to their great sound and comfort is the ability to easily pass out...er...sleep with them still in.

Dec 23, 2009 at 3:05 AM Post #5 of 13
UE 700's are even smaller than the jays, making them the smallest dual driver phones I know of. However, I wasn't a fan of the sq. But wow, they were tiny! I really had nothing to grip on when I was putting them on and off. The friend who I tried it from said that he slept all the time in them.

Dec 23, 2009 at 4:29 AM Post #6 of 13
I sleep with my Westone UM1s... and the Shure SE530. Still have not taken the plunge and bought my own tho.. But thats the only style I can sleep on my side with cause they are so flush.. nothing protrudes out at all. and when I lay on a not super giving pillow they don't jam into my ear.. Too bad the UM1s have no bass at all =(

Dec 23, 2009 at 5:31 PM Post #9 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by homer_555uk /img/forum/go_quote.gif
ETYMOTIC ER6I - highly regarded on head-fi if you do some searches

These don't for me for the purpose of sleeping. Maybe it's the size of the driver housing or the angle in which they go into my ear canal, but if I rest the side of my head on my pillow it pushes the tips deeper into my ears which is mighty-uncomfortable.

I would get the Q-Jays myself for this purpose if they weren't so darn expensive.

Dec 23, 2009 at 7:11 PM Post #10 of 13
Since I found no price preferences, I'd suggest IE8 - low-profile and can have wonderful, soft, laid back sound that's ideal for night sessions.

Dec 24, 2009 at 9:13 AM Post #12 of 13
Hey guys, thanks to all of you for the recommendations.
I guess I will go through all of your suggestions, read their reviews and see which ones take my fancy/I can afford.
Thanks again.

Dec 24, 2009 at 2:18 PM Post #13 of 13
Just in case: last night I felt asleep with my brand new Ai-M9, and I noticed when I slightly woke up at four o'clock in the morning. No ear pain or whatever, I just removed them and went to sleep again. Very very very comfortable, and I could sleep on one side without problems.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back