Best IEMs for my needs under $200?
Oct 19, 2011 at 6:50 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

AudioGuile

New Head-Fier
So, my beloved Ety hf2's finally broke (the right speakers went out) after two years, so I have no warranty either. I've fallen back on using the Klipsch S4, but for all the hype I saw about them I'm still no more thrilled with them than I was when I upgraded to the hf2. I find them to be decent all around, but the bass is quite heavy and everything seems either overpowered by it or just lacking detail (mids and highs). I'm sorry if this sounds completely wrong--I don't want ot offend anyone :wink:--but this observation was only made more clear to me by the Etys. I'm definitely not a bass head, although I listen to alot of metal and rock, and I really enjoy crystal, pure mids and highs. I do like bass, but everything in moderation if you know what I mean. Anywho, I have UP TO $200 to spend, but would be happy with spending less (I want to start saving for a new laptop sometime). With these preferences in mind and comparing against the S4, what would you guys think about:

Fischer Audio DBA 02
HiFiMan RE0
Another pair of Etys (hf5 maybe?)

Although I loved the etys, I'm having the upgrade-itch, and so here I'm kind of split. I guess I'm asking: would the DBA 02 really be an upgrad over the hf2s, and if not, would I be sacrificng too much by settling for the RE0? 

If any more of my preferences etc. would help you in your recommendation I'd be happy to give them, and please feel free to suggest anything else that is in this price range.

Thanks for your time!

AG

Oct 19, 2011 at 7:30 PM Post #2 of 13
The Etymotic HF5, ER4P, CK10, Sony EX600, DBA-02 and PFE112 are recommended.

Oct 19, 2011 at 8:06 PM Post #3 of 13
check the new Feels 900Pro
cost under 100US and are promising
DBA02 are hard to find and probably out of production by now.
There are new SBA-03 out there from Fischer
best option for you are Ortofon e-q5 but this are priced over your budget.
Ck10 are also highly recommended but priced even higher then eQ5

Oct 19, 2011 at 8:31 PM Post #4 of 13
Hey thanks for the responses. I'll check out those Feels 900s. The pfe112 look interesting, and I see what you mean about finding the dba 02. If I could find it though, would it be noticably better than the hf2/3/5? How would it compare to the pfe112 ZARIM? Ill look around for some dba 02s meanwhile. If you guys have any experience: Do you think just buying a 'portable' cans be a worthwhile alternative? Say the Senn. HD 25-1 ii? I know i would be sacrificing isolation and portability, but would there be a favorable tradeoff sound-wise?

Thanks

Oct 20, 2011 at 12:27 PM Post #5 of 13
The DBA 02 is also sold as the Brainwavz B2 these days -- different manufacturer, but same hardware.  About a 95% sound match between the two, but much easier to find the Brainwavz B2 variant.  You could try that.  Haven't heard either of them, personally, but the reviews are generally positive.

VSonic GR07 is also highly recommended.  I have these myself (upgraded from the Ety HF5) and I'm really enjoying the increased "fun" factor.  Isolation isn't great, so (personally) I would look elsewhere if isoloation is of the utmost importance to you.  Otherwise, they have it all -- clarity, low-end, fun, and good build.

I don't think that the RE0 will feel like an upgrade to you -- in any capacity.  Perhaps slightly improved clarity (debatable), but worse in most other aspects -- build, isolation, low-end, etc..

You could also consider the Klipsch X5 or X10, if you're able to find a good used pair.  I recently acquired some X10's and I'm rather enjoying them.  They ended up costing me about $160, which is pretty much the price crowd they should be hanging in.  Buying new ones for $350 is outrageous.

Lastly, the HF5s are sonically the same as the HF2/HF3 -- just without phone controls.  That wouldn't be an upgrade at all.

Oct 20, 2011 at 12:46 PM Post #6 of 13
Oct 20, 2011 at 2:05 PM Post #7 of 13
I would say the EX600 or GR07 would work the best for you. I can't comment on the sound from the GR07 as I haven't heard them, but almost everyone on Head-fi loves them. That should speak for itself lol.

The EX600's are my personal favorites in the sub-$200 price category, I think they got bumped recently to a straight $200 on Amazon, but I'm sure you can find it for less somewhere else. To my ears, it has a very balanced sound. The bass has really good impact, the mids are very good and smooth, and the highs are slightly extended. I would say the best thing about the EX600's is the unique sound-signature it has: it's spacious yet "romantic" (like james444 described.) It's very different to say the least. I found it works very well for every genre. 

The GR07's are suppose to have more bass quantity, so you may want to take that into consideration.

Oct 20, 2011 at 2:27 PM Post #8 of 13

Quote:
I found some Klipsch X5 on Ebay for about $125 new.  Might be a good fit for you.

that's quite the find, at first when i saw it i thought wow, that will be gone. at this time 9 left. i got my x5s maybe two years ago. the first week i had them they got stepped on, by me. they are tough!
when the cable split a very small drop of superglue stopped further damage; they still look great and sound good. these compared to the hf5 and x10s one thing comes to mind and that's x5s are easy to get a hold of and take out of your ears. if i needed another set i'd be all over that link!

Oct 20, 2011 at 10:33 PM Post #11 of 13
I had a pair of DBA's which I loved but they lasted all of 6 weeks till one of the channels went out. In my quest to replace them I ended up getting a set of HF5which I was very impressed with except for the quantity of bass.  I was just about to pull the trigger on a set of B2's when I found a company selling the EX600's for $125 on a daily special and I went for them. At first I was not impressed but after 25 hours they started getting better and now with well over 100 hours on them I am in love.  I still wear my HF5's especially if I am working around out doors and running the lawn mower or weed wacker or running to the market, the EX's are a little crazy looking. I may have to try a set of B2's but I am very happy with the EX600 especially for $125. 

Cheers,
jim

Oct 22, 2011 at 3:09 PM Post #12 of 13
Hey, thanks for all the replies! Sorry for getting back so late (school). I guess I missed a couple great deals, hehe. Again, thanks for all the suggestions--I'll look into the EX600 and the GR07. One thing that might not have been clear--I do listen to metal and rock etc., but I also listen to alot of electronic music as well as more symphonic metal (female vocals, symphonies/strings). If that wasn't clear before, would you guys suggest anything different? -y0-? 

Also, isolation is really nice if I can get it. I'm used to being closed off from the world with my Etys, but something close would be acceptable too. I'd like to be able to use this on a plane, for example.

Anyways, I'll check out the EX600, GR07, Brainwavz B2, and it looks like the RE0 is ruled out (thanks yipcanjo). 

Thanks again,
AG

EDIT: Would the EX600 be worth it if I could get for the same or under the price of the Brainwavz B2, do you guys think? It does look kinda crazy and maybe not as super-porable as regular iems, but I'm just wondering in terms of sound quality. Thanks!

Oct 22, 2011 at 3:28 PM Post #13 of 13

Quote:
Hey, thanks for all the replies! Sorry for getting back so late (school). I guess I missed a couple great deals, hehe. Again, thanks for all the suggestions--I'll look into the EX600 and the GR07. One thing that might not have been clear--I do listen to metal and rock etc., but I also listen to alot of electronic music as well as more symphonic metal (female vocals, symphonies/strings). If that wasn't clear before, would you guys suggest anything different? -y0-? 

Also, isolation is really nice if I can get it. I'm used to being closed off from the world with my Etys, but something close would be acceptable too. I'd like to be able to use this on a plane, for example.

Anyways, I'll check out the EX600, GR07, Brainwavz B2, and it looks like the RE0 is ruled out (thanks yipcanjo). 

Thanks again,
AG

Out of all the earphones I've had, the Ortofon e-Q5 was my favorite. I liked it much better than the GR07 and it handles all types of music even better. Vocals sound fantastic. The only thing is that it costs about $250 from Dimitri @ Musica Acoustics which is $50 over your budget. That's the sale price though, might be worth it to spend the extra $50. It also has pretty good isolation as well. I can't comment on any of the Sony's since I've never heard any of them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back