Best iems for me (Money is no issue)
Jul 13, 2008 at 3:56 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 22

FALC0NR14

Head-Fier
Hello,
I am in the market for new iems and I've come out witha few choices.
They are:
Etymotic ER-4P with APureSound cable and custom tips
Shure SE530 with custom tips
Ultimate Ears Triple.fi 10 with custom tips
LiveWires
SuperFreQ
Now I could afford UE 11's but since I'm 14 I'll grow out of them pretty quickly.
The need for custom tip is because my left ear canal is smaller than my right
and even wearing the small black shure olives is painful after about 10 mins.
I have thought about taking a risk and buying a pair of SE530's with stock but
I don't know if they'll be comfortable. BTW I listen to pretty much only rock like Iron Maiden, Metallica, Rolling Stones, Guns N' Roses, Velvet Revolver, Nirvana .......etc.
Thanks for reading,
FALC0NR14.

Jul 13, 2008 at 6:03 PM Post #2 of 22
if you dont want customs, maybe the livewire and superfreq should be off your list aswell, the etys require a warm source or a amp to really shine, the TF10 pro vs the SE530, well, the SE530 is more fun and warm, but at the same time its darker and less accurate then the UE TF.10 pro, i own the UE triple.fi 10, and i can tell you that getting good tips for it is 1st priority, while the shures will do fine with some foam tips (olives), but i guess its not much of a worry if you plan to use custom tips.

i had the same choice, and i took the triple.fi 10, sometimes i wonder if i would want something more fun, but then the song changes and i forget my doubts,

Jul 13, 2008 at 6:28 PM Post #3 of 22
If you're 14 it's quiet common that one side of you (legs, hands or ears in this case) will grow faster than the other but usually it equals out at about 17-18, so you're ears will be about the same size by than probably.
You don't necessarily need to go custom, there are smaller tips out there than small olives (so you don't need to throw away an expensive custom made tip every 6 months or so).

Jul 13, 2008 at 7:01 PM Post #4 of 22
well, since you are that young, i would not do custom. i would also not do shure, as they are easy to break. go with the triple.fi. the removable cable is good for longevity, and there are those tips 9i forgot what they are called) that seem to be well know for them, no the olives.

Jul 13, 2008 at 10:46 PM Post #6 of 22
Why not just go for the UE11 Pro? Then get them re-fitted, or buy a new pair when you grow out of them...
After all "money is no issue".
wink.gif
tongue.gif

Jul 14, 2008 at 7:34 AM Post #9 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by powertoold /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I don't think UE allows for refits after the initial fit guarantee. It's a shame.

Even if you pay for the job? I find that strange...

Jul 14, 2008 at 7:01 PM Post #11 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by FALC0NR14 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Does anybody actually know if ue will do a refit of the ue 11 if I pay them?

phone or email them. i should hope they do, they cant (shouldn't) expect people to pay 1100 ever 4 years.

Jul 15, 2008 at 1:23 AM Post #13 of 22
I'm not sure about UE, but I did email Todd from the FreQ a while back about refits later down the road and he mentioned that they would basically reuse the parts inside the FreQ model that you own and replace the shell, using your new impressions, for $50USD. That is pretty cheap for a product that is basically be reassembled.

On a side note, I cannot be happier with my FreQ Shows (with Music Makers Xover). They are the best IEMs I have ever heard, and they are better than the SuperFreQs I owned prior. They are also 1/3 of the price of the UEs...but I haven't heard the UEs either so I am not going to even attempt to say they are as good or better, but I will say that I cannot imagine the UEs being 3X better. My 2c

Jul 15, 2008 at 1:28 AM Post #14 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by Dino0987 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm not sure about UE, but I did email Todd from the FreQ a while back about refits later down the road and he mentioned that they would basically reuse the parts inside the FreQ model that you own and replace the shell, using your new impressions, for $50USD. That is pretty cheap for a product that is basically be reassembled.

Thanks for that bit of info. That really piques my interest in the FreQs. I was looking more at LiveWires before, though I like the new-style cable the FreQs have gone to.

Jul 15, 2008 at 12:25 PM Post #15 of 22
I have phoned and e-mailed them and they said that they could do minor things like shave some plastic off or add some or lengthen or shorten the canal part.
Although the FreQs do sound good as you can get them re-fitted. By the way whats the difference between the music lovers and music makers line?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back