Best IEM's for detail from my list -- some help?
Jun 25, 2011 at 10:55 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

wdahm519

500+ Head-Fier

[size=medium]
Hey guys, I've gotten addicted to detail. I need more detail in my portable set up now. I'll be running an iPod with Apple Lossless files only, and a self-built amp which sounds pretty neutral so nothing to worry about there. I read a ton about different IEM's. I made a list, I refined that list, and then deleted the most expensive ones (the ones that were about $380+ since I just bought HD650's and Silver Dragon cable).

My list is:

Earsonics SM2 DLX
Etymotic ER4s
Fischer Audio DBA-02
HiFiMan RE252 (262 any better?)
Ortofone e-Q5 (read they're a little better than e-Q7's?)
Westone UM3x
Westone 3

My question is, what is the most detailed IEM that has the best soundstage on this list? If you can think of something significantly better (I've probably read about it), and under $400, please let me know! Thanks.
[/size]

Jun 25, 2011 at 11:46 PM Post #3 of 7
Definitely the ER-4

Jun 25, 2011 at 11:53 PM Post #4 of 7
One complaint I've heard with the ER4s is that while it BOASTS detail, a lot of it is just harshness and is not friendly to listen to.  Is this at all true?  Is there something 99% as detailed with increased musicality?

EDIT:  I'm basically falling in love with the UM3x and I need to know if its going to satisfy the level of detail I'm looking for.  I've read its soundstage is about average if not sub-par, but that doesn't really bother me too much.  I prefer details over soundstage, smoothness over harshness, stuff like that.  

Jun 26, 2011 at 1:00 AM Post #5 of 7
Give the e-Q5 a try too, very smooth and refined sounding (never harsh or dry to my ears) yet able to present all the details.

Jun 26, 2011 at 1:31 AM Post #6 of 7
to my naive ears e-Q7 always appeared  to be more ditailed  then its sibling e-q5
It is also on Sale today at MusicaAcoustics site
I would suggest e-Q7 specially at sale price

Users who are viewing this thread

Back