Best IEMs for around £60...
Mar 29, 2008 at 8:16 PM Post #16 of 32
I just read up some more. I read on another forum that the CK7s were amazing, even better than the ER-6is. Better bass, slightly improved clarity, and so on. Also, the C700s are known to be rather large. These true?

Thanks for your help guys, really appreciate it.

Mar 29, 2008 at 10:38 PM Post #17 of 32
I would give the ER-4Ps a try. I have found them to be accurate as long as I get a good seal when putting them in...

Mar 29, 2008 at 10:56 PM Post #18 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by kevo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I would give the ER-4Ps a try.

But the budget is only £60.

Mar 29, 2008 at 11:32 PM Post #19 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jaska /img/forum/go_quote.gif
But the budget is only £60.

I must have missed the budget...

The closest for the ER-4Ps was about £84 from Amazon...

Mar 30, 2008 at 6:49 PM Post #20 of 32
I plan on buying today or tomorrow, so just a final question and bump.

I will add the Sony NW-HD1 as a source, which luckily has an equalizer. The Shuffle is actually quite bassy, so I don't think that there will be any major issues there.

I will finally ask, how do the others that Mansize_tissue (noticed you were on [H] too!) listed compare to the Etys? I presume that the others are a bit more bassy but the highs don't quite reach the Etys clarity, and the mids are around the same for all of them (ie, relatively punchy)?

Thanks!

Mar 30, 2008 at 8:13 PM Post #21 of 32
if you are not a complete and utter basshead i would strongly recommend procuring jvc's fx300. it falls within your budget and combines deep-ish tight bass with special regard to clarity. mids are a bit recessed, though i find that lends itself well to some hiphop tracks. isolation is ok not great so may be a factor in your decision.

Mar 30, 2008 at 9:31 PM Post #22 of 32
I quite fancy having the mids as well, cus I do listen to other stuff as well. The mids are probably the most important part for me. Bass is kinda important, but I don't it want too strong. I want it balanced with the others. Thanks for the suggestion though. Any other opinions?

Thanks!

Mar 31, 2008 at 7:03 PM Post #25 of 32
ultimate sf3 is as good as 5pro (less bass).but much cheaper.

Mar 31, 2008 at 8:31 PM Post #26 of 32
Thanks for the replies. Seeing as I have heard a lot of good things about the Denons (apart from the fit, which is apparently good if you get it right). How much more bassy is the C551 to the C700? And how much more clear is the C700 to the C551? Is the difference in both cases big or small?

Thanks.

EDIT: I also forgot to add, how does the C700 do for size. To me, they look MASSIVE, while the C551 looks average in size. Is the extra size of the C700 going to be an issue? Is it that much bigger?

Mar 31, 2008 at 8:51 PM Post #27 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by lamboman /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks for the replies. Seeing as I have heard a lot of good things about the Denons (apart from the fit, which is apparently good if you get it right). How much more bassy is the C551 to the C700? And how much more clear is the C700 to the C551? Is the difference in both cases big or small?

Thanks.

I can't really speak of the difference between them, since I haven't heard the C700s, but I can tell you that the C551s sound amazing to me. The bass response is just right (that is, it's pretty much perfect with flat EQ on my Sony NWZ-A818, or plugged into my Firewire soundcard). Definitely not too bassy in any way, just the right amount of punchy and tight bass. The mids and highs are also great. Everything can be heard very clearly, and overall the SQ is a huge leap over anything else I've ever owned. Now, I'm sure the C700s are a bit clearer in the highs (while also being a bit weaker in the bass), but I'm very doubtful that they're so much better to justify the higher price (here in Sweden they are about twice as much as the C551s).

Fit/comfort-wise, the C551s are the better choice for sure. Just look at them and compare their size:

C551
denon-c551-crave.jpg

C700
denon_ah_phones-thumb.jpg

They are exactly as wide, but the C700s are much longer.

Mar 31, 2008 at 8:54 PM Post #28 of 32
Thanks for the reply. They are the same price here in the UK actually, any further opinions? Also, in my last post, at the same time as RoadHazard replied, I edited it to add another question (damn), about the size. If they are similar in size to a Shure IEM, for example, they are probably all right, as I can get a good impression of the Shures. Thanks again!

Mar 31, 2008 at 10:06 PM Post #30 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by lamboman /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks for the reply. They are the same price here in the UK actually, any further opinions? Also, in my last post, at the same time as RoadHazard replied, I edited it to add another question (damn), about the size. If they are similar in size to a Shure IEM, for example, they are probably all right, as I can get a good impression of the Shures. Thanks again!

Well, if they're the same price, most people will probably tell you to go for the C700s. It's a higher end model after all.

Well, no, the Denons are not the same size as Shure IEMs, they are quite a bit larger/wider. The Denons are not really IEMs at all, but rather canalphones. The difference is that you don't insert them deep into your ear canals like you do with IEMs. The only parts that are actually inserted into your ear canals (unless you have abnormally wide ones) are the tips. The rest of the phone (the housing) rests in your ear. This leads to them having worse noise isolation than IEMs (but still good enough for me, and probably for most people if you get a good seal), but they will probably be more comfortable for most. I don't really feel them in my ears at all after a short while. The larger housing and dynamic drivers (as opposed to IEMs which use armature drivers) also allow for canalphones to have much better bass response without costing a fortune.

Compare the size difference for yourself:

Shure SE210
4345-SE210BlackonwhiteHI.jpg

Denon AH-C551
denon-c551-crave.jpg

As you can see, the Denons are quite a bit "fatter".
(The tips of both the Shures and the Denons are most likely the same size, the images are not exactly the same scale.)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back