Best IEM's for about $80?
Mar 22, 2010 at 4:29 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 18

Raguvian

1000+ Head-Fier
I've been doing a lot of researching about what headphones to get for about $80 and still can't make up my mind. I listen to mostly rock and rap and bass heavy music and I do like my bass. I don't use headphones for working out or biking, but would like to use them when I occasionally go skiing so they should be pretty durable. Otherwise they will be used mostly in the library or around the house, or walking around between classes.

I was thinking of the Shure E2C, Etymotic ER6I and the RE0. However, I've heard of quality/durability issues with both the RE0 and the ER6I and that both of them don't deliver all that much bass. I want something that will last at least 2 years and I'm kind of concerned with the wire issues of the ER6I and crappy warranty(although, I am fairly decent at soldering so maybe I could try resoldering them if they die by then). I really like the way the ER6's look, and the RE0 looks very plain to me.

Microphonics aren't really a concern to me as I will wear the phones under my shirt and over the ear.

Thanks!

Mar 22, 2010 at 5:01 PM Post #2 of 18
This is my first post, so Hi everyone!

I have been creaping these boards for awhile now gathering info.

Anyway, to the OP, I think your best bet would would Klipsch S4.

Mar 22, 2010 at 5:17 PM Post #3 of 18
If you prefer bassy sound & deep bass that you feel more than hear - then you really should not bother about balanced armature IEM's & instead look at dynamic driver solutions from Sennheiser and Denon.

For $80, its a tough call - top it up with a few more bucks & you can look at Sennheiser CX95 (avoid their gaming variations) & Denon C551 or even a Yuin Pk2 if you don't mind a regular earphone.

The Denon scores in deeper bass & higher highs - although not necessarily in instrumental quality, but its mids lack the character of the CX95.

Also the Denon is heavy & will pain your ears in an hour while the Senn CX95 just disappears for hours unless you lug on the wire.

And the CX95 is widely regarded as a flat response dynamic driver IEM & that is also how I felt it when I was using it.

So, its really up to you taking the plunge !!!
L3000.gif

Mar 22, 2010 at 5:37 PM Post #4 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by adktitan /img/forum/go_quote.gif
This is my first post, so Hi everyone!

I have been creaping these boards for awhile now gathering info.

Anyway, to the OP, I think your best bet would would Klipsch S4.

I also looked at the S4 but some reviews say that the cables are too thin and weak. I'm considering it, though.

How would the ER6I sound amped? I'm not looking for thundering bass but the reviews I've read about the ER6I say that the bass in songs isn't even there, which is unacceptable... I like everything else about the phone besides the lack of bass and the durability (which seems to be a problem with most IEM's it seems).

Mar 22, 2010 at 6:40 PM Post #6 of 18
Cable durability was not an issue for me either when I owned the the s4. My triple fi cable is already being sent back for durability issues.

Mar 22, 2010 at 7:03 PM Post #7 of 18
OK, now I'm trying to decide between the S4 or saving up more and buying the Panasonic HJE900. The Panasonics seem to have some good bass as well, and I really like the replaceable headphones and the way they look. They seem very durable as well.

They are available for $115 off of J&R Music.

Mar 22, 2010 at 7:15 PM Post #8 of 18
RE0 has the best overall sound quality for under $100 by a long shot IMO. But it is not a bass heavy IEM - it is neutral, accurate sounding. The bass is adequate, but the impact won't impress you with your genres. The bass is very, very detailed though.

Mar 22, 2010 at 7:51 PM Post #9 of 18
I will mention also that if you do decide to go with the S4, I belive the 50 hours or so of "cook" time, was not just in my head, but actually made a difference sonically, so be patient with them. Good luck.

Mar 22, 2010 at 11:43 PM Post #12 of 18
the cable on the s4 is thin, but it probably won't break on you. i haven't had any problem with mine.

Mar 22, 2010 at 11:52 PM Post #13 of 18
I'm actually in the process of sending my S4 in for replacement/repair. Bought them in mid December and the rubber split where the cable meets the earbud. No sound at all. I've treated these things very well.

Mar 23, 2010 at 12:47 AM Post #14 of 18
You should also consider the AT CKS70's, with your requirement for solid bass presence. They don't isolate the best, but they have tremendous impact, and I find them pretty smooth with great soundstage. They sort of remind me of a more inexpensive version of the Sennheiser IE8.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back