Best IEMs for $300 (bass and clarity)
May 30, 2013 at 6:41 PM Post #16 of 26
Quote:
I'll take a look at JVC FXZ200.
I'm looking for more bass for sure, probably a bigger soundstage (i love lives). I do like how the ex510 sound : good bass and clarity (as you say : bright treble)
I looking for an overall improvement, like when I bought the EX510. I had $20 IEM before, and the difference was huge. At first I thought these $20 IEM were good, then I tried the EX510, and I thought "wow!"
Remember, I've never tried high end IEM. For me the EX510 are really good, I just want to know how does something better sound. That's why I asked if the difference was big. I tried EX310 ($50) and EX510 ($70) and I couldn't really notice a difference. I don't want the same to happen with $300 IEMs.
Thanks for you advises anyways!

uh... FXZ200 is not as bright as EX510. If you want more bass, consider FX700. It has big soundstage. Bass is ever so slightly softer than FXZ200. You probably won't notice unless you compare both side by side. FX700 has bright treble. But it doesn't have much isolation. It's slightly better at isolation than, for example, apple earbuds.

I agree there isn't much of a difference between EX310 and EX510.

Also, consider EX1000 if you want to keep the same sound signature. EX1000 has a huge soundstage. But the bass is definitely less than FX700. However, the bass is definitely as detailed. If you want soundstage on your IEM, probably FX700 or EX1000 is the way to go.

Let me know what you think. If more bass quantity is important, then go with FX700. The soundstage of FX700 is almost as big as EX1000.

Jun 1, 2013 at 5:43 PM Post #18 of 26
Quote:
Do you looked at heir audio 3.ai reviews?i didnt heard them but big guys told me that they are awesome.you can even pm massege the reviewers.

I don't think you guys should recommend customs to someone who's undecided on whether to spend $300 on an IEM. At least universals have a decent resale value. Or the op can get a used pair.

Jun 1, 2013 at 7:24 PM Post #19 of 26
Quote:

I don't think you guys should recommend customs to someone who's undecided on whether to spend $300 on an IEM. At least universals have a decent resale value. Or the op can get a used pair.

The Heir 3Ai is a universal version of a custom.  It is not a custom that's the similarly named 3A.

Jun 7, 2013 at 12:52 PM Post #21 of 26
Quote:
uh... FXZ200 is not as bright as EX510. If you want more bass, consider FX700. It has big soundstage. Bass is ever so slightly softer than FXZ200. You probably won't notice unless you compare both side by side. FX700 has bright treble. But it doesn't have much isolation. It's slightly better at isolation than, for example, apple earbuds.

I agree there isn't much of a difference between EX310 and EX510.

Also, consider EX1000 if you want to keep the same sound signature. EX1000 has a huge soundstage. But the bass is definitely less than FX700. However, the bass is definitely as detailed. If you want soundstage on your IEM, probably FX700 or EX1000 is the way to go.

Let me know what you think. If more bass quantity is important, then go with FX700. The soundstage of FX700 is almost as big as EX1000.

I need some decent noise isolation, like the EX510. Apple Earpods are good when I'm outside so I can hear cars and people talking to me. I really like the design (l"ow-profile shape" + "Over-the-ear configuration") of the IE80 and and the especially the SE535 (+good noise isolation). My EX510 are not comfortable laying in bed.. 
And, as I said, I don't want only fat bass (I don't really know what you mean by fat bass, but if it's "full and warm" and beats by dr dre then it's not what I'm looking for). I do want powerful bass, like in concerts or when you use a good sound system with subwoofer. EX1000 are a bit overpriced for me (800USD - 600EUR in France). 

Thanks for your help ! (btw I listen to Coldplay too, and I don't really like how the V-MODA Crossfade LP sounds if that helps..)

@nNAVID : I couldn't find them on Amazon..

Jun 7, 2013 at 1:16 PM Post #22 of 26
Quote:
I need some decent noise isolation, like the EX510. Apple Earpods are good when I'm outside so I can hear cars and people talking to me. I really like the design (l"ow-profile shape" + "Over-the-ear configuration") of the IE80 and and the especially the SE535 (+good noise isolation). My EX510 are not comfortable laying in bed.. 
And, as I said, I don't want only fat bass (I don't really know what you mean by fat bass, but if it's "full and warm" and beats by dr dre then it's not what I'm looking for). I do want powerful bass, like in concerts or when you use a good sound system with subwoofer. EX1000 are a bit overpriced for me (800USD - 600EUR in France). 

Thanks for your help ! (btw I listen to Coldplay too, and I don't really like how the V-MODA Crossfade LP sounds if that helps..)

@nNAVID : I couldn't find them on Amazon..

hmm, well, the FX700 isolates as much as apple earbuds.  The EX1000's bass quantity will probably be similar to EX510.
Looks like you can go with IE80. Forgot about that one. SE535 is kind of dark. It doesn't have the bright treble that EX510 has.

"And, as I said, I don't want only fat bass (I don't really know what you mean by fat bass, but if it's "full and warm" and beats by dr dre then it's not what I'm looking for). I do want powerful bass, like in concerts or when you use a good sound system with subwoofer"

Do you mean that you want impact but not a lot of rumble? IE80 and FX700 is similar to beats by dre in bass quantity. The quality is better though. You said you want more bass than EX510, but you don't want beats by dre bass. I don't know then. You want something in between?

anyways, for the difference between IE80 and FX700. I don't know the exact difference between the two since I only own FX700.
But here's what I do know from reading,
bass quantity and quality is similar. Obviously more bass than EX510. The IE80 and FX700 is considered the IEMs with the most bass.
mids are a bit laid back for the FX700. IE80 has more forward mids
treble, I'm not sure.

And IE80 has the bass adjustable feature. But some people say they don't fiddle with that since boosting the bass will cause some distortion.

Jun 7, 2013 at 2:23 PM Post #23 of 26
Last time I tried beats by dr dre it had less "impact bass" than my EX510, the sound was too warm, it really sounded like s**t(maybe something was wrong with his cans...).
Now yes I'm looking for bass impact, as you said. When I use my EQ on my (30 yrs) old speakers I always set it so it looks like a V (more 63Hz and more treble). 
And as I said, I like the IE80 because of it's shape. 
And what about the SE215, SE315 and SE425 ? (I really love the design and the build quality look really good for what I've read)

And just out of curiosity : what would be you're choice with $300 IEMs for Linkin Park, Coldplay...? 

Thanks (and I hope my english is not too bad :wink:)

Jun 7, 2013 at 5:09 PM Post #24 of 26
SE215, SE315 and SE425
Those are similar. Not much treble energy compared to EX510. I don't know if the beats were defective.

Seems like IE80 or FX700. But FX700 has more treble energy, which you said you like from EX510.
You said you EQ your old speaker to a more V shape. That's pointing to FX700. It's V shaped with laid back mids. Although mids are laid back, they are still clear and detailed.

Here's an impression by someone else

quoting eke2k6

To me the FX700's bass and soundstage is different from the IE8(0)'s.

The FX bass is more knock your teeth out with a hard punch, while the IE gives more of an enveloping type of bass. Also, the mids of the IE give it a different kind of soundstage from the FX, in that it's more euphoric. I don't really know how to put it without having the two side by side.

Lets recap

treble
FX700 wins a bit with more extension. IE80 is smoother treble.

mids
IE80 wins. More forward mids. FX700 has more laid back mids. Clarity and detail are probably similar. Maybe IE80 is more clear because the mids are more forward

bass
FX700 has more sub bass. So more rumble. Both share similar bass impact. Some people say FX700 goes deeper but I actually dont know. I haven't heard the IE80.
But I would say they are similar in impact.

soundstage. FX700 is big and tall maybe? I can't think of the correct word. IE80 offers a more out of the head soundstage. But it's not like real headphone though of course.

Isolation
IE80 wins by a bit. But if you are happy with EX510's isolation, you are going to be satisfied with IE80's isolation. FX700 isolates slightly less.
But this is not your main concern right? As long as they offer some isolation, you are ok.

timbre
Most here would say FX700 wins here. timbre is a bit subjective, so that's why I said most people.

Also, keep in mind that there are alot of fake IE80s out there.

By the way, I have a pair of FX700 for sale
http://www.head-fi.org/t/661354/jvc-ha-fx700-fx-700-fx-700

And here's IE80 by others for sale
http://www.head-fi.org/t/664800/selling-sennheiser-ie80-like-new
http://www.head-fi.org/t/660242/brand-new-sennheiser-ie80-sealed-in-box

Jun 7, 2013 at 6:03 PM Post #25 of 26
Ok, I think I'll go with the IE80 because it's cheaper (300USD was a maximum, I'm okay with spending less...), and available on amazon.fr unlike the fx700(good for warranty as I live in france), it has the form factor I like, isolates more (I definitely need more isolation than Apple Earpods), and you said  "out of the head soundstage" : that's good for live perfomances, right? 
Is there any sound difference between iE8i and iE80 ?
Anyway, thanks for your advice!   

Users who are viewing this thread

Back