Best IEMs for $300 (bass and clarity)
May 20, 2013 at 6:30 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 26

louis54000

New Head-Fier
Hi everyone! 
I'd like to buy new IEMs for around $300. I mostly listen to rock/metal rap sometimes and "melodic dubstep" (Linkin Park, Deftones, Papa Roach, Eminem). I really enjoy bass (subbass?), so I thought IE80s ($280) were good (and it has i think a huge soundstage) but I'd like the sound to be clear too (not too much mid bass I guess).  I use that Loudness EQ on my iPhone when I can, but I usually listen to music without EQ because I use a third party app (Deezer). On my PC I have a THX software, where I use "Crystalzer" and "Speaker" (enhances bass, "crossover frequency" at 63kHz).
And I use them 5 hrs a day and sleep with them, so they have to be comfortable. 
Here are the IEM I have already used : MDR-EX310LP, MDR-EX510LP and Apple Earphones (I currently use the EX510LP and MDR-XB700 headphones.)
So the source will be my iPhone 5 and my PC (on board audio on a Z77A-GD55, 320kbps MP3). (Maybe sould I buy an external sound card?)
So what do you think about the IE80s? Any other suggestions? Thanks!

May 20, 2013 at 6:40 AM Post #3 of 26
IE80 for sure from a LP fan

May 27, 2013 at 7:44 PM Post #8 of 26
Lets not forget JVC FX700, JVC FXZ200. FX700 is the way to go if you want more treble presence. But the isolation can be an issue. However, IE80 doesn't isolate that well either. FXZ200's bass is the most punch and deep.
I would not recommend monster turbine Pro series since the build quality is not that great despite their life time warranty. Not sure if you have already order IE80s, So I'll end my suggestions here.
I listen to mainly punk/pop rock and some hip pop, so not too far from your music taste.

May 30, 2013 at 1:38 PM Post #9 of 26
I didn't order yet.. I still have to convince by self to do it... I'm gonna ask a silly question : how big would the difference be between my $70 EX510LP and these $300 IEMs? 
@Mini0510 : I don't want too much treble either, I just need clarity and solid bass (and sub bass) : I wan't my head to blow up, but still have a good clarity. 

May 30, 2013 at 3:54 PM Post #10 of 26
Quote:
I didn't order yet.. I still have to convince by self to do it... I'm gonna ask a silly question : how big would the difference be between my $70 EX510LP and these $300 IEMs? 
@Mini0510 : I don't want too much treble either, I just need clarity and solid bass (and sub bass) : I wan't my head to blow up, but still have a good clarity. 

Depends on which $300 IEM you're buying. IE8 aren't really known for their clarity, and there are better options. JVC FX700 and Sony EX series/7550 are better options vs the Senns clarity wise. Sony XB90EX and Atrios are great cheaper options, with the former better in clarity and the latter better in bass (some of the fattest bass I've heard in an IEM). The more expensive options (JVC, EX) improve clarity, refinement, and detail.

May 30, 2013 at 4:23 PM Post #11 of 26
Quote:

I agree with tseliottt.

If you use 320kbps mp3 or better and a good source, the difference can definitely be noticeable. iPods are ok. The last 2-3 generations of ipod/iphone is good enough. If you just want solid bass and good clarity, then go with either Monster Turbine Pro Gold or JVC FXZ200. These do have alot of quantity of bass.

Since you have EX510, we can help you more if you tell us what improvement do you want. In my opinion, EX510 has average quantity of bass, good mids, bright treble. Quality aside, tell me if you want more or less bass/mids/treble. Or you are happy with the sound signature. Let's talk about quantity first, then quality.

May 30, 2013 at 4:41 PM Post #12 of 26
i think best thing that you can buy is heir audio 3.ai.these things also have removeable cable.awesome isolation and comfort and lookings.maybe they have too bass for some guys but not more than ie8 i think.also their sound is vshaped.i recommend you to look at their review in site.hope you get what you want..

May 30, 2013 at 5:30 PM Post #13 of 26
Quote:

I agree with tseliottt.

If you use 320kbps mp3 or better and a good source, the difference can definitely be noticeable. iPods are ok. The last 2-3 generations of ipod/iphone is good enough. If you just want solid bass and good clarity, then go with either Monster Turbine Pro Gold or JVC FXZ200. These do have alot of quantity of bass.

Since you have EX510, we can help you more if you tell us what improvement do you want. In my opinion, EX510 has average quantity of bass, good mids, bright treble. Quality aside, tell me if you want more or less bass/mids/treble. Or you are happy with the sound signature. Let's talk about quantity first, then quality.

I'll take a look at JVC FXZ200.
I'm looking for more bass for sure, probably a bigger soundstage (i love lives). I do like how the ex510 sound : good bass and clarity (as you say : bright treble)
I looking for an overall improvement, like when I bought the EX510. I had $20 IEM before, and the difference was huge. At first I thought these $20 IEM were good, then I tried the EX510, and I thought "wow!"
Remember, I've never tried high end IEM. For me the EX510 are really good, I just want to know how does something better sound. That's why I asked if the difference was big. I tried EX310 ($50) and EX510 ($70) and I couldn't really notice a difference. I don't want the same to happen with $300 IEMs.
Thanks for you advises anyways!

May 30, 2013 at 6:19 PM Post #15 of 26
Generally, the step from consumer gear to low-end quality headphones is the biggest jump. Regular consumers only care about hearing the chorus. The refinement that higher end headphones offer is definitely there, but it's not as apparent. All the criticisms and comparisons you hear on head-fi are the result of a/b testing, and to be honest, if you aren't obsessively comparing like many do on this website, you'll be fine with any of the cheaper options. In fact, the fattest bass can be found in the reasonably priced stuff, as strict audiophiles tend to frown at that much coloration.

Just remember diminishing returns is very much in effect on head-fi.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back