Best IEMs .. for $150-$250+
Mar 12, 2012 at 12:38 AM Post #16 of 39

Quote:
It all comes down to preference, doesn't it? 

Let me clarify. I feel like the TF10's unnatural, plasticky timbre and it's recessed mids render it useless for all but electronic genres. Even then, the EPH performs better than the TF10 at EDM. Ergo, my initial statement still stands.

Mar 12, 2012 at 1:12 AM Post #19 of 39
Well then we'll just have to agree to disagree then. I agree with you on the timbre thing, but it isn't too bothersome for me. Also the mids ain't that recessed; they're more forward than the mids on the M50 and no one's calling those useless. They're more forward than the FX700s as well, but not by much

Mar 12, 2012 at 1:16 AM Post #20 of 39

Quote:
Well then we'll just have to agree to disagree then. 

Fair enough. I guess we all value different things in audio 
beerchug.gif

Mar 12, 2012 at 1:52 AM Post #21 of 39
It all comes down to preference
tongue_smile.gif
  But I would go for the Atrio M5 with the MG7 drivers. They can be had for as little as 115$ on amazon.

Mar 12, 2012 at 5:17 AM Post #22 of 39

Quote:
Well then we'll just have to agree to disagree then. I agree with you on the timbre thing, but it isn't too bothersome for me. Also the mids ain't that recessed; they're more forward than the mids on the M50 and no one's calling those useless. They're more forward than the FX700s as well, but not by much

Agree, the TF10 is one of the more neutral V-shaped IEMs. Not neutral, but one of the "more" neutral V-shaped. 

Mar 12, 2012 at 5:18 AM Post #23 of 39

Quote:
Let me clarify. I feel like the TF10's unnatural, plasticky timbre and it's recessed mids render it useless for all but electronic genres. Even then, the EPH performs better than the TF10 at EDM. Ergo, my initial statement still stands.

Then that is a matter of your preference. Just because you like something more doesn't necessarily mean it is better. 

Mar 12, 2012 at 8:36 AM Post #24 of 39

Quote:
Then that is a matter of your preference. Just because you like something more doesn't necessarily mean it is better. 

A recessed midrange is one thing. Unnatural timbre (in the tf10's case, it sounds like a plastic/metallic sheen over the sound, especially the highs) is another. Both are shortcomings, the latter moreso than the former.

Mar 12, 2012 at 8:44 AM Post #25 of 39

Quote:
A recessed midrange is one thing. Unnatural timbre (in the tf10's case, it sounds like a plastic/metallic sheen over the sound, especially the highs) is another. Both are shortcomings, the latter moreso than the former.

I can see you're a dynamic driver fan, that is completely normal. Most balanced armatures don't have as natural a sound as dynamic drivers, you will find that "plastic/metallic sheen" in most balanced armatures. Balanced armatures just do not compete with dynamic drivers in terms of naturalism. 

Mar 12, 2012 at 8:47 AM Post #26 of 39
I certainly never heard a metallic sheen over the treble in the TF10. In fact, I think it has some of the best armature treble I've heard; effortless and airy.  The TF10 for $150 or less is a fine deal. 

Mar 12, 2012 at 9:06 AM Post #27 of 39

Quote:
I can see you're a dynamic driver fan, that is completely normal. Most balanced armatures don't have as natural a sound as dynamic drivers, you will find that "plastic/metallic sheen" in most balanced armatures. Balanced armatures just do not compete with dynamic drivers in terms of naturalism. 

Quote:
I certainly never heard a metallic sheen over the treble in the TF10. In fact, I think it has some of the best armature treble I've heard; effortless and airy.  The TF10 for $150 or less is a fine deal. 

​
 ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Mar 12, 2012 at 10:45 AM Post #28 of 39

Quote:

​
 ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I actually prefer how natural sounding Dynamic Drivers is compared to Balanced Armatures, so I understand your feelings. Had trouble moving from the Turbines to a Balanced Armature at first. But Balanced Armatures just gives a more detailed and clear sound that Dynamic Drivers usually can't give. Cheers. 

Mar 12, 2012 at 1:12 PM Post #29 of 39

Quote:
I to think the TF10 would be good for the music you like and the Yamaha EPH-100 is not a bad choice either.  Its bass has a better texture to it than the UE and a bit more rumble.

To Jocelyn84, the GR07 isn't really that good for EDM because of how neutral the sound signature is.  It just lacks what a lot of people call "the wow factor" and I have to agree though it is a very technically sound IEM.

I dunno about that, i own the TF10 and the GR07, and although i prefer TF10 for EDM, the GR07 does have sub-bass to die for.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back