Best IEMs for < £200?
Apr 25, 2010 at 7:16 PM Post #16 of 44
I recommend Ortofon e-Q7 as the best all arounder. It will be a sizeable step up from something like q-jays and the UE700, if you don't mind a warm sound with neutral bass, slightly forward mids and gently rolling off upper treble.

Apr 25, 2010 at 7:35 PM Post #17 of 44
I feel that the problem with the Ortofons is the shape and the fit... I think they're too big and awkward to fit appropriately in my ear. The silicon inserts look pretty poor, and although good things are always said about them, the con always comes back to the fit of them.

Apr 25, 2010 at 7:38 PM Post #18 of 44
Quote:

Originally Posted by ZimmerX /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I feel that the problem with the Ortofons is the shape and the fit... I think they're too big and awkward to fit appropriately in my ear. The silicon inserts look pretty poor, and although good things are always said about them, the con always comes back to the fit of them.

Buy em, try em, swap em or sell em if you dont like em. I love my Ortos, so you can't have mine, but I reckon they're worth a shot, and you'll have 5p left to buy some sweets with.

Apr 25, 2010 at 7:48 PM Post #20 of 44
Haha, that's a bit of a lengthy process to decide whether they'll fit or not. In this, I'd rather not take the risk and go for an earphone that is renown for its decent fit.

Apr 25, 2010 at 8:09 PM Post #21 of 44
Fit with IEMs is a very personal thing becuase everybody's ears are different in size and shape as well as sensitivity. If an IEM is comfortable for many, that doesn't mean that it will be comfortable for you. Personally, I thought Shure SE530 is very uncomfortable, while UE Triple.fi is quite comfy. But most people will tell you otherwise.

Apr 25, 2010 at 11:03 PM Post #22 of 44
+1 for Westone 2. Best cable. Very good fit.

Apr 26, 2010 at 9:48 AM Post #23 of 44
I assume the Westone 3s are the same size as the 2s, but with 3 drivers? I'd be willing to push myself an extra £40 for much better sound quality if that is what it comes to.

Apr 26, 2010 at 10:17 AM Post #26 of 44
Ah-ha, eBay. If only I had Paypal.
biggrin.gif

Apr 26, 2010 at 10:33 AM Post #27 of 44
Quote:

I assume the Westone 3s are the same size as the 2s, but with 3 drivers?

The W2 housing is smaller than the W3

Quote:

£226 Westone 3
£180 Westone 2

Approximately...

Don't forget you will probably be hit with import duty on top of that.

Apr 26, 2010 at 12:13 PM Post #29 of 44
I'd recommend the Sennheiser IE8s. £160 here. Excellent built quality, no faults after more than a year of daily use! Unlike any Shure earphones I've had (E2C, E3C, E5C, SE530), which break after a few months of use.

Apr 26, 2010 at 1:26 PM Post #30 of 44
It looks as if the W2s are really the best bet...
@ Posede - the main gripe with the IE8s is the isolation and fit... Everything I've read about them suggests they don't have the best fit and their isolation is poor for a high end IEM. I've always loved the build quality of Sennheiser and think they're fantastic, but I hear too many negatives about the IE8...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back