Best IEMs between $100-300?
Nov 28, 2009 at 9:31 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 28

ok1907

100+ Head-Fier
Hi everybody. I have been looking for new IEMs for a few days and I thought that I should get some assistance from more experienced friends here.I have some decent headphones but I don't have any great iem right know(cx300 II and sony ex90lp). So, I think that most IEMs in $100-300 should be better than those two earphones I have. Anyway, I listen to every kind of music and I enjoy being able to hear and distinguish every detail. Therefore, my iem must sound the way that trebles,mids and bass can be heard very clearly. Actually, I love bass and I can call myself a basshead but I can't tolerate poor quality bass(the thing I don't like about cx300 II) because that gives me a headache
biggrin.gif
I have westone 1, westone um2, sennheiser IE6,IE7,IE8, ATH-CKS70, monster turbines on my mind.The Westone 1 is said to be better than um1 in all aspects and earphonesolutions.com says that the sound is warmer and the bass is stronger than the UM1 and its respond to eq changes is better. ATH-CKS70 earphones are very good in every range and bass is of good quality according to some people but are they as good as the other earphones in mids and trebles? By the way, soundstage being spacious is very important for me.

I will write their prices in Turkey so that you can compare them in sq and price/performance ratio.

Westone 1: $139
Westone UM2: $300
ATH-CKS70: $110
Senn IE6: $170
Senn IE7: $225
Senn IE8: $300
Monster: $155

Thanks in advance
wink_face.gif

Nov 29, 2009 at 1:02 AM Post #3 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by cyberspyder /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If you buy from the FS forum here...you can prolly pick up a UM3X.

x2, buy from here and you should be able to get the UM3X/W3 for less than $300.
Also consider the RE0.

Nov 29, 2009 at 1:21 AM Post #4 of 28
How am I gonna buy from the forum? I don't know where I can buy RE0 from. What do you think about Future Sonics Atrio M5?

Nov 29, 2009 at 1:46 AM Post #8 of 28
actually here's a pair of um3x for sale right now that's within your budget even if you paid for international shipping: http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f10/fs...ade-w3-457533/

someone's also selling ie7's if you wanna save some money...but i figure if your budget is $300, why not get the best you can. and plus if you ever get the itch to upgrade (which seems to happen to everyone here), then there's not really much higher you can go unless you go for customs, i think.

Nov 29, 2009 at 1:57 AM Post #9 of 28
Or you want to do a sidegrade, instead of an upgrade.

Nov 29, 2009 at 2:53 AM Post #11 of 28
32 Ohm, an actual head fi store recently opened here in Portland and I went today to try out IEMs after just discovering it. I tried everything on your list, plus Westone 3, REO and several others. I spent almost 3 hours using the same source - Sony X 1050, ibasso D4, 320 mp3s. I listened to Porcupine Tree - Arriving Somewhere but Not Here, Dream Theater - The Count of Tuscany, A-ha - The Foot of the Mountain, and some acoustic Al Di Meola on all.

Know what was my favorite IEM in the store? Grado GR8

I wasn't expecting much from the GR8, but reluctantly tried them anyway and was very surprised. I ended up switching back and forth between the GR8 and Westone 3 and to my ears the GR8 sound not just a little better, but a lot, and for $100 less than Westone 3.

Westone 1 was one of the worst sounding IEMs in the store imo, harsh and lifeless.

There were a couple that I wanted to try that they didn't have such as FX500, but no matter what I tried, I kept going back to the GR8 and thinking, "How can it get any better than this with an IEM and portable rig?"

Imo, Grado really captured their signature sound the best they could for an IEM. I'm just glad I found out about 32 Ohm before I ended up with something I wouldn't have been happy with. Because judging by the lack of talk about the GR8 on this forum, I wouldn't have bought them. Sure the GR8 doesn't look like much, but it's not about looks, it's about sound. Leave it to Grado.

Nov 29, 2009 at 3:21 AM Post #12 of 28
IE8 seems like your cup of tea

Nov 29, 2009 at 4:31 AM Post #13 of 28
to dongringo, some of those do require a burn-in period for the best sound. i don't know if all the hp's you listened to were burned in or not, so that could change how you think about them. i'm not disagreeing with you b/c i've never heard the gr8's but just saying

Nov 29, 2009 at 4:39 AM Post #14 of 28
I'm glad to hear someone found the Grado GR8s to deliver a high-end sound, and it got me interested in them. I wonder if they are discounted anywhere, like earphonesolutions? And I wish that 32 Ohm was opening a store in Philly. I may buy and try, since I do really love my SR-80s, which I have had for a decade.

Nov 29, 2009 at 5:02 AM Post #15 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by dongringo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
32 Ohm, an actual head fi store recently opened here in Portland and I went today to try out IEMs after just discovering it. I tried everything on your list, plus Westone 3, REO and several others. I spent almost 3 hours using the same source - Sony X 1050, ibasso D4, 320 mp3s. I listened to Porcupine Tree - Arriving Somewhere but Not Here, Dream Theater - The Count of Tuscany, A-ha - The Foot of the Mountain, and some acoustic Al Di Meola on all.

Know what was my favorite IEM in the store? Grado GR8

I wasn't expecting much from the GR8, but reluctantly tried them anyway and was very surprised. I ended up switching back and forth between the GR8 and Westone 3 and to my ears the GR8 sound not just a little better, but a lot, and for $100 less than Westone 3.

Westone 1 was one of the worst sounding IEMs in the store imo, harsh and lifeless.

There were a couple that I wanted to try that they didn't have such as FX500, but no matter what I tried, I kept going back to the GR8 and thinking, "How can it get any better than this with an IEM and portable rig?"

Imo, Grado really captured their signature sound the best they could for an IEM. I'm just glad I found out about 32 Ohm before I ended up with something I wouldn't have been happy with. Because judging by the lack of talk about the GR8 on this forum, I wouldn't have bought them. Sure the GR8 doesn't look like much, but it's not about looks, it's about sound. Leave it to Grado.

Could you comment on the IE6?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back