Best IEM's as Classified by Genre
Feb 10, 2019 at 6:14 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

Ricky64

100+ Head-Fier
Curious what characteristics in an iem are valued as per the genre..and then which iem's best reproduce those desired characteristics...

I love hard bop jazz....this means usually a piano, acoustic bass, drums, tenor sax, etc., often recorded in a small to medium studio or club. I value timber, greater weight (thickness), and dynamics the most. I would rather have the instruments have larger size in a smaller soundstage...

I could contrast this to classical, where I would value a larger soundstage, lack of congestion with complex passages, and depth (third dimension) would be most valued. Note thickness and dynamics would be less valued.

So...
-What is a list of genres?
-What are the reproduction characteristics most desired for each genre?
-Which iems are then the best matches for each genre?

(I understand that this may be an exercise in herding cats....)

Feb 10, 2019 at 11:52 PM Post #2 of 14
I am not going to classify the best IEMs by genre...because that requires listening to at least ten songs of different genres for at least five IEMs, and I never did that, but I should have, as it is a good idea.

However, considering you listen to lots of instrumental jazz (yes, it is a more basic form of hard bop jazz; read on), I can recommend a starter IEM and more advanced, but more expensive IEM, but all are wooden IEMs, as they are the best at jazz. For starters, the Magaosi BK50 Pro is a great IEM for this genre, is a great sounding all-rounder and is typically ~$30. A more advanced IEM is a JVC HA-FW02, where timbre and bass thickness has more defined volume. If you want a more versatile and advanced IEM, the JVC HA-FW01 will allow more air to travel within the sound signature. Have money to toss? The JVC HA-FW10000 is there to satisfy your hunger for the best of wooden IEMs.:)

Feb 10, 2019 at 11:56 PM Post #3 of 14
I hope someone puts in the effort to create this list. My experience is limited; but I agree that no one IEM excels at all genres. Choosing IEMs for superior genre performance is a valid and realistic concept resulting in a understandable outcome.

Feb 11, 2019 at 11:23 AM Post #4 of 14
This is a worthy thread topic. I think the models might need to be tiered by price. I don't have much experience other than the models I have purchased.

Feb 12, 2019 at 11:29 AM Post #6 of 14
729FF6E1-3792-4DDA-BD8D-EDA7D8B314A8.png
Periodic Audio has a dedicated section on their website called Selectatron which allows you to pick up to three genres that you listen to and it'll tell you which specific model IEM is best for those choices. A cool idea honestly.

https://periodicaudio.com/selectatron/

Their list is maybe as good as we would need for this thread?

Feb 12, 2019 at 12:39 PM Post #8 of 14
It will never be a totally complete list but in any form it will offer a level of understanding. Probably the most common IEMs will get listed, then it will grow to be more comprehensive.

Still much of this borders on subjective opinion. But there are clear-cut personality differences between IEMs which perform in a specific genre. A good example of this study is the back and forth in the “Headphones for Metal” thread. It seems that even some headphones can qualify for musical mini-subgenres?

On a surface level at least it gives a perspective buyer a clue in an ocean of options. Plus all of use to a point already know the attributes in the IEMs we own. We have IEMs for specific genres listened to. So many already have a small personal list. Possibly a better way to get this information would be to ask in the title “what genres do your IEMs excel in?”

That way folks start to put a casual database together then a moderator goes into the lists posted and starts to correlate the database into something understandable. Just some ideas?

Last edited:
Feb 12, 2019 at 12:46 PM Post #9 of 14
I hope someone puts in the effort to create this list. My experience is limited; but I agree that no one IEM excels at all genres. Choosing IEMs for superior genre performance is a valid and realistic concept resulting in a understandable outcome.
Fully agree, no one IEM does it all and that is an important reason why I explore different types of music while I am working on a review, so I can say something sensible about what music certain IEMs work really well with. Basically I try my best to let the IEMs show me what they are best at and that has led to some interesting reviewing because I would end up rediscovering albums I might not have listened to in a while.

It is however still a very subjective exercise because some people will value different strengths for certain types of music. For classical music (symphonies) it might be sound stage and air for some people, while others emphasise tonality, so it will still be important to know the preferences of the person who made the list. Really interesting and informative though.

Feb 12, 2019 at 12:55 PM Post #10 of 14
With some folks only listening to two or three genres their personal lists will show a limited range. Still finding what they know can be of value. Keeping in mind here how all of this is a matter of opinion. After a while truths can start to be coralated. The importance of this is no one person knows everything. The Ah-Ha moment happens when a specific IEM not often thought about gets chosen often and enthusiastically for being tailored to a genre.

Feb 12, 2019 at 12:59 PM Post #11 of 14
We know of IEMs which seem to stay well rounded, but there has to be gold in those certain IEMs which nail a genre. Also it seems the choice of IEMs IS sudject to change, with certain models going in and out of fashion. Again that also becomes a matter of opinion with some thinking various IEMs are classic, with another group feeling they are outdated.

Feb 12, 2019 at 1:03 PM Post #12 of 14
Not sure who wants to volunteer to make the spread sheets, but obviously you need information first. Lol

Again there probably needs to be more of a loose question put out which would allow folks to quickly and casually put down a couple models with correlation to genres.

Feb 12, 2019 at 1:24 PM Post #13 of 14
I think this could be invaluable. It could help so many people. I'd love to have a list of best iems for death/black metal. It would have saved me do much time

Users who are viewing this thread

Back