Best IEM with heavy bass and full rich warm sound for techno and movies under $1400, advise please
Oct 29, 2013 at 3:18 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

Helix1

New Head-Fier
I am not an expert in music by any means. I do not and have no intend to use an inline amp. I plug in to my iPhone 5 and macbook pro mainly while traveling, and I travel for a living, a lot that is. > 100K air miles a year.

I love my little Bose IE2 for sound signature, rich warm and low. Right now most of you will stop reading. I know, like I said, I am an average consumer, no audiofile by any means. However, the Bose do not provide any isolation agains surrounding environments.

I own a SE535. What I like about it: Great noise suppression. Great comfort (triple flanges tips). I fly from Dubai to DC, 14 hours and they comfortably provide me with isolation from the outside while listening to music and watching movies. However, they lack the bass, fullness and deep sounds I am looking for while their highs are literally hurting my ears at higher volumes. No EQ (Audioforge) setting can make them sound nice and warm enough for my amateur taste. 

Currently I am trying to compare and decide between the UM3X RC (replaced with UM PRO 30 ???) , Heir 5.0 and SE846. They all have the physical design I like and feel is most secure and comfortable of a fit then any other earphone I tried in the past of different design. the question is: which of those, or any other I am not aware off, will give me the most warm and heavy sound I am looking for while watching movies and listening to Tiesto  (loud, very loud electronic/trance music with thundering bass), reggae, 80's rock etc etc... 

I am trying to stay away from CIEM. The hassle of getting those makes them second to the IEM's while they IEM deliver superior noise reduction (37 vs 25 db). If, and If this appears the only solution, then the choice would be between the UM Merlin, JH16, Heir 8A and ES5. Delivery times and service/fitting centers will be a determining factor. Another downside of CIEM is they are harder to get in and out. While great under a flight helmet, for general use they are not preferred.

I bought the SE535 6 months ago. I should have gotten better advise and done more research to find a more compatible earphone for my taste and needs. I recognize that they are high quality monitors for experts and other applications then my travels. The last thing I need no is another barely used expensive IEM laying on the shelve not being used. Your help is appreciated.

Thank you so much 

Ron

Oct 29, 2013 at 11:09 PM Post #2 of 3
Ron, 

I'm afraid you'll need to get yourself a set of CIEMs; slicone or silicone coated models isolate and provide better comfort than anything else out there. For the absolute closest to the "Apple" experience, I recommend sticking with Ultimate Ears--they have offices all over the world and are great to deal with. 

Based on your listening preferences, a model like the UE 18 is most likely in order. It does have an accentuated bass response, which is needed to overcome the background noise on an aircraft.

Regards,
Kenneth

Users who are viewing this thread

Back