Best IEM Under 300
Apr 7, 2020 at 9:16 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 24

Gioacchino

100+ Head-Fier
Best iem under 300, preference excellent detail and excellent soundstage, bass in the average .. What do you recommend? , listening from smartphone without any external dac, I hope to take one but not at the moment

Apr 7, 2020 at 9:32 AM Post #2 of 24
Heard a few and to me, under 500€, Etymotic ER4XR it's the best of them.
Maybe a little above 300€ but worth it.
If you can't stretch, Etymotic Er3SE is also good in my opinion.

Apr 7, 2020 at 9:41 AM Post #3 of 24
[QUOTE = "silvahr, post: 15546255, membro: 448565"]
Ne ho sentito parlare e per me, a meno di 500 €, Etymotic ER4XR è il migliore.
Forse un po 'sopra i 300 € ma ne vale la pena.
Se non riesci ad allungare, Etymotic Er3SE è anche buono secondo me.
[/CITAZIONE]
Stavo anche considerando la Sony X-BAN3, non so se ne hai sentito parlare

Apr 7, 2020 at 9:55 AM Post #4 of 24
Best iem under 300, preference excellent detail and excellent soundstage, bass in the average .. What do you recommend? , listening from smartphone without any external dac, I hope to take one but not at the moment

Check out the Audiosense T800 and LZ A6.

I don't have the LZ A6, but it has lots of good reviews on headfi and has its own dedicated thread.

The T800 is an 8 BA knowles set, about $298 USD, wide soundstage, excellent details, clarity and imaging. Good isolation. May be a bit bright, so not the best if you are treble sensitive. Bass is a BA bass though it sounds like a DD bass due to the vented subwoofer, but is not at basshead levels.

Good luck in your search!

Apr 7, 2020 at 10:15 AM Post #5 of 24
[QUOTE = "baskingshark, post: 15546278, membro: 516219"]
Dai un'occhiata all'Audiosense T800 e alla LZ A6.

Non ho la LZ A6, ma ha molte buone recensioni su headfi e ha il suo thread dedicato.

Il T800 è un set di 8 BA, circa $ 298 USD, ampio palcoscenico, dettagli eccellenti, chiarezza e imaging. Buon isolamento. Potrebbe essere un po 'luminoso, quindi non il migliore se sei sensibile agli acuti. Il basso è un basso BA anche se suona come un basso DD a causa del subwoofer ventilato, ma non è ai livelli dei bassi.

Buona fortuna nella vostra ricerca!
[/CITAZIONE]
Un grande favore potresti spiegare le differenze tra BA e DD? molte grazie

Apr 7, 2020 at 10:17 AM Post #6 of 24
Check out the Audiosense T800 and LZ A6.

I don't have the LZ A6, but it has lots of good reviews on headfi and has its own dedicated thread.

The T800 is an 8 BA knowles set, about $298 USD, wide soundstage, excellent details, clarity and imaging. Good isolation. May be a bit bright, so not the best if you are treble sensitive. Bass is a BA bass though it sounds like a DD bass due to the vented subwoofer, but is not at basshead levels.

A huge favor could you explain the differences between BA and DD? thanks a lot

Apr 7, 2020 at 10:24 AM Post #7 of 24
A huge favor could you explain the differences between BA and DD? thanks a lot

BA = balanced armature
DD = dynamic driver

IEMs usually contain a DD or BA driver or a mixture of both (hybrids). There are other less common driver types such as piezos, electrostatic, planar etc but DD and BA are the commonest configurations.

DD sets tend to give better timbre and better subbass extension/quantity/decay than BA sets. So in general DD sets tend to sound more natural and reproduce acoustic instruments better. So if u listen to a lot of classical, jazz, acoustic genres, DD may be a better option.

BA sets generally give better technicalities such as instrument separation, imaging, details, clarity compared to equivalently priced DD sets, but the BA sets tend to have poorer timbre and lesser subbass extension/decay. So if you like music that is more complex and has competing instruments or synthetic instruments, a multi BA set may help.

Hybrids combine the best of both worlds usually with a DD bass and some BA drivers in the mids/treble, though they may have crossover or coherency issues at the budget segment.

My advise if you are not sure of what your preferred sound signature is, is to get some cheaper CHIFI sets that are < $50 USD and discover what you prefer. It would not be wise to jump straight into a $300 USD IEM as this is considered MIDFI and u may not like the sound signature and waste your money. Or if u can, at least read more reviews or audition these midfi sets before pulling the trigger.

Apr 7, 2020 at 10:52 AM Post #8 of 24
BA = balanced armature
DD = dynamic driver

IEMs usually contain a DD or BA driver or a mixture of both (hybrids). There are other less common driver types such as piezos, electrostatic, planar etc but DD and BA are the commonest configurations.

DD sets tend to give better timbre and better subbass extension/quantity/decay than BA sets. So in general DD sets tend to sound more natural and reproduce acoustic instruments better. So if u listen to a lot of classical, jazz, acoustic genres, DD may be a better option.

BA sets generally give better technicalities such as instrument separation, imaging, details, clarity compared to equivalently priced DD sets, but the BA sets tend to have poorer timbre and lesser subbass extension/decay. So if you like music that is more complex and has competing instruments or synthetic instruments, a multi BA set may help.

Hybrids combine the best of both worlds usually with a DD bass and some BA drivers in the mids/treble, though they may have crossover or coherency issues at the budget segment.

My advise if you are not sure of what your preferred sound signature is, is to get some cheaper CHIFI sets that are < $50 USD and discover what you prefer. It would not be wise to jump straight into a $300 USD IEM as this is considered MIDFI and u may not like the sound signature and waste your money. Or if u can, at least read more reviews or audition these midfi sets before pulling the trigger.

Thanks

Apr 7, 2020 at 11:12 AM Post #9 of 24
BA = balanced armature
DD = dynamic driver

Anyway I listen to a little bit of everything from hip hop to classical, but frankly what I am looking for in a headphone is a bright acoustic guitar sound and a fairly defined and powerful drum stroke, obviously like everyone I like powerful bass, but let's say that an emotion that can give me the detail a guitar or a violin are unbeatable .. You are very right saying to try iem chifi but let's say that while earning very little per month, I don't know the half measures and I have saved this figure for a long time, according to you from what I said what would be more appropriate for me? BA or DD, or hybrid? I know it's very personal but I wouldn't mind your help

Apr 7, 2020 at 11:18 AM Post #10 of 24
DD is using a miniature speaker design with cone and coil

Typically a DD IEM sounds:
  • a little slower
  • a little less resolving
  • more natural
  • often has less accurate soundstage positioning, but can be very wide
  • can have more powerful bass (moves more air)
  • They usually have a venting hole and therefore isolate less
  • But the venting hole also prevents a vacuum in your ear, which many people find umcomfortable
Balanced Armatures or "BA" were originally developed for hearing aids, are very small and very fast, but cannot cover as much frequency as a DD and cannot mov that much air.
A BA IEM typically uses several BA drivers for different frequencies with a crossover circuit. That makes them more difficult to tune well.

Typically a BA IEM sounds:
  • detailed and fast
  • resolving
  • technical
  • often too fast to sound natural
  • may sound a little brittle and grainy
  • may sound thinner
  • may have a better soundstage
  • often has less bass extension
  • almost always has less power/slam in the bass
Both technologies can produce amazing IEMs, but I feel that in the lower price range it is easier to find a well balanced DD IEM than a well balanced BA IEM.
Here's a decent video to explain the main differences:

Apr 7, 2020 at 11:36 AM Post #11 of 24
DD is using a miniature speaker design with cone and coil

Typically a DD IEM sounds:
  • a little slower
  • a little less resolving
  • more natural
  • often has less accurate soundstage positioning, but can be very wide
  • can have more powerful bass (moves more air)
  • They usually have a venting hole and therefore isolate less
  • But the venting hole also prevents a vacuum in your ear, which many people find umcomfortable
Balanced Armatures or "BA" were originally developed for hearing aids, are very small and very fast, but cannot cover as much frequency as a DD and cannot mov that much air.
A BA IEM typically uses several BA drivers for different frequencies with a crossover circuit. That makes them more difficult to tune well.

Typically a BA IEM sounds:
  • detailed and fast
  • resolving
  • technical
  • often too fast to sound natural
  • may sound a little brittle and grainy
  • may sound thinner
  • may have a better soundstage
  • often has less bass extension
  • almost always has less power/slam in the bass
Both technologies can produce amazing IEMs, but I feel that in the lower price range it is easier to find a well balanced DD IEM than a well balanced BA IEM.
Here's a decent video to explain the main differences:

Hybrids like the sony X-BAN3 and other models can be a good union or it is a fair union of bass and treble that cannot compete with DD and BB respectively, in a nutshell the hybrids are good for everything but do not excel in certain frequencies ? Or they are the solution considering that I listen to a bit of everything, even if I prefer the detail and the soundstage to powerful bass

Apr 7, 2020 at 11:58 AM Post #12 of 24
Hybrids like the sony X-BAN3 and other models can be a good union or it is a fair union of bass and treble that cannot compete with DD and BB respectively, in a nutshell the hybrids are good for everything but do not excel in certain frequencies ? Or they are the solution considering that I listen to a bit of everything, even if I prefer the detail and the soundstage to powerful bass

Hybrids can sound very good, as can pure DD and pure BA IEMs.

Based on your preference of a good soundstage and good detail from a phone I would pick the modded JVC FD02 from my selection to let you listen.
The XBA-N3 would be another interesting candidat, but I fear it might be too bassy for your preferences.
Cheaper alternative the Moondrop Starfield - safe bet, but behind both of the above. (I had the Moondrop Kanas Pro and the FD02 was my upgrade from it)

The Audiosense AQ3 has been reviewed very well by portafi (youtube) and I think he is a very good and trustable reviewer.
Maybe too risky for you.

Apr 7, 2020 at 10:03 PM Post #13 of 24
Anyway I listen to a little bit of everything from hip hop to classical, but frankly what I am looking for in a headphone is a bright acoustic guitar sound and a fairly defined and powerful drum stroke, obviously like everyone I like powerful bass, but let's say that an emotion that can give me the detail a guitar or a violin are unbeatable .. You are very right saying to try iem chifi but let's say that while earning very little per month, I don't know the half measures and I have saved this figure for a long time, according to you from what I said what would be more appropriate for me? BA or DD, or hybrid? I know it's very personal but I wouldn't mind your help

If u are ok to try some cheaper CHIFI, these are some cheap CHIFI (< $50 USD) that have good reviews on headfi and audio sites, that may suit your criteria and are quite all rounders:

1) KZ ZSX (Terminator)
2) CCA C12
3) TRN V90

These are all hybrids and they seem to be sidegrades of each other, just with slightly different tuning. CHIFI has come a really long way from before, now they are not too far away from some western brands in sound quality, for a fraction of the price, and would be a good place to start. I hope the others can give their advise too. Though of course read reviews and audition if u can before buying!

Apr 7, 2020 at 10:59 PM Post #14 of 24
Apr 8, 2020 at 3:06 AM Post #15 of 24
I'll throw in a recomendation for the Moondrop Blessing 2, it's just a tiny bit over your budget. I read your question from Sunday with the stuff about the Meze's. The Blessing 2 would be a good pair to get an extremely well detailed listen while retaining a natural feel.

It also seems like you like a very forward presentation judging by how you described it in that post. I haven't tried them, but I'd bet the Etymotics mentioned above will definitely get you there. I would just be wary of the bass response of the Etys.

I agree with the point above about stock though, but mostly because shipping times might be crazy.

Best of luck!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back