Best IEM for what I need...
Jan 3, 2008 at 5:03 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

Necromanti

New Head-Fier
I have been need of some new in-ear headphones for a while now, and I find it so difficult to find the right ones for me. I've been searching this forum for answers, but thus far, I have found none.

Price is not an issue. I want the absolute best that I can get. It would be nice to have an option of 3 or 4 headphones to choose from.

I'll be using the headphones for music (on a computer and iPod), for games and for movies. I primarily need them for music, as the rest will be fine if they are good for music. I mainly listen to game music that is instrumental (Castlevania SOTN/LoI/CoD/etc., Shadow of the Colossus, Odin Sphere, Final Fantasy, Okami, Valkyrie Profile and so forth), which is usually orchestrated and/or electronic. A lot of it has baroque/classic influences, with some techno or god knows what.

I don't know how to describe the music that well, as it is fairly varied at times, so I harshly butchered some songs into a 3 minute and 17 second file to give a rough idea... I also wish there was some non-game music I liked.

Stream it here.

Anyways, as I said, price is not the issue here. I just want the best I can get.
smily_headphones1.gif
Thank you in advance for any help.

Jan 3, 2008 at 5:17 PM Post #2 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by Necromanti /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Anyways, as I said, price is not the issue here. I just want the best I can get.
smily_headphones1.gif
Thank you in advance for any help.

AHA! The UE-11 it is!
biggrin.gif

Ultimate Ears UE-11

BTW, welcome to Head-fi!

Jan 3, 2008 at 5:20 PM Post #3 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by Matteman /img/forum/go_quote.gif
AHA! The UE-11 it is!
biggrin.gif

Ultimate Ears UE-11

BTW, welcome to Head-fi!

X2 The ue-11 will sound amazing with this type of music and pretty much any other music.

Jan 3, 2008 at 5:29 PM Post #4 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by Necromanti /img/forum/go_quote.gif
smily_headphones1.gif

The best IEM now is also the most expensive
rolleyes.gif

Jan 3, 2008 at 6:55 PM Post #5 of 9
if price is no object, don't be tempted to just go out and buy the most expensive ones you can find. Even the priciest set can sound bad if it doesn't fit right... and fit is important for IEMs. Read a lot of reviews and try some out if you can before you drop a lot of $$$ on an expensive pair.
A $100 pair of IEMs that fit right will sound better than a $500 pair that doesn't.

Jan 4, 2008 at 12:20 AM Post #6 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by bsharpnack /img/forum/go_quote.gif
if price is no object, don't be tempted to just go out and buy the most expensive ones you can find. Even the priciest set can sound bad if it doesn't fit right... and fit is important for IEMs. Read a lot of reviews and try some out if you can before you drop a lot of $$$ on an expensive pair.
A $100 pair of IEMs that fit right will sound better than a $500 pair that doesn't.

The UE11 doesn't fit right?
rolleyes.gif

I'll try listening to some,but never read the reviews, so many personal bias there
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 4, 2008 at 12:30 AM Post #7 of 9
As the UE-11 are custom they would fit better than anything else. Sometimes it takes a bit of time getting a perfect fit, but once you get it then they are the best phones I have ever listened to. I perfer them to the limited full sized cans I have heard.

Jan 4, 2008 at 4:45 PM Post #8 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by Lil' Knight /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The UE11 doesn't fit right?
rolleyes.gif

I'll try listening to some,but never read the reviews, so many personal bias there
smily_headphones1.gif

I was really referring to any high-dollar earphones in general, not specifically the UE11 customs.

Jan 4, 2008 at 5:02 PM Post #9 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by bsharpnack /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I was really referring to any high-dollar earphones in general, not specifically the UE11 customs.

Yeah, but the thing with customs is that if it doesn't fit perfectly, you send them back to get them adjusted.

The ear canals do change over time though, and this is an issue that have to be taken into consideration, especially if you are under 20 years old. I think you can have them refitted after a few years or so, but I'm not sure what it'll cost.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back