Best IEM for under 80
Jul 17, 2011 at 4:07 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

speecialedwin

New Head-Fier
Hi all,

I'm new to the forum. I'm looking to purchase a pair of IEMs to wear around campus for under $80. I was thinking of picking up the Klipsch S4s (cause they got high cnet ratings) but I'm still not completely sure. Right now I'm using Shure e2cs but they're breaking down as the wiring inside the cable disconnects when I curl the wire in certain positions. I'm also concerned about the Klipsch S4 because they have thin wiring and if the thick wiring on the e2cs are failing how long will it take for the thin wires to fail?

I listen to mostly R&B, Pop, and occasionally classical music. Some artists might include Bruno Mars, Eminem, Beethoven, Far East Movement, Mariah Carey, OneRepublic, etc.

Right now, since I'm new to listening to good sound, I'm mainly looking for balanced sound.

What are your suggestions? Thanks!

Jul 17, 2011 at 12:37 PM Post #3 of 11
If you want detailed sound, go for the RE0. It won't have enough bass for R&B and such,'but it should be exceptional for classical. If not, go for the Brainwavs mentioned above or the Monster Turbines. Ignore everything else from Monster except te Turbine series and the Miles Davis

Jul 17, 2011 at 6:46 PM Post #4 of 11

Quote:
i assume you mean US$80?

Brainwavz M3

Yeah, US$80

Quote:
If you want detailed sound, go for the RE0. It won't have enough bass for R&B and such,'but it should be exceptional for classical. If not, go for the Brainwavs mentioned above or the Monster Turbines. Ignore everything else from Monster except te Turbine series and the Miles Davis

Since I don't listen to classical music on a daily basis, I'm leaning more towards the Brainwavs M3 and the Monster Turbines. Which one is better? Does one of them have a thicker cord or last longer? I'm sure the sound is amazing on both.
Wikipedia: Last, a form in the approximate shape of a human foot, used in shoemaking »(image missing)%3D%3D[/img]

Jul 17, 2011 at 7:52 PM Post #6 of 11

Quote:

I listen to mostly R&B, Pop, and occasionally classical music. Some artists might include Bruno Mars, Eminem, Beethoven, Far East Movement, Mariah Carey, OneRepublic, etc.

Given your taste in music, I thought the Klipsch S4 would have been perfect for you. I find my S4's not overly bass heavy and vocals come through great. The highs are clear and defined without being harsh (only after a minimum of 30hrs burn-in though!). I have had no problems with the cable, as long as you treat them carefully, like with anything electronic/electrical in nature, they should be just fine.

Also, if you are concerned about quality/durability, I have read Monster Turbines one of the most poorly built IEM's, I think there is even a thread about the quality.

Jul 17, 2011 at 8:04 PM Post #7 of 11

Quote:

Given your taste in music, I thought the Klipsch S4 would have been perfect for you. I find my S4's not overly bass heavy and vocals come through great. The highs are clear and defined without being harsh (only after a minimum of 30hrs burn-in though!). I have had no problems with the cable, as long as you treat them carefully, like with anything electronic/electrical in nature, they should be just fine.

Also, if you are concerned about quality/durability, I have read Monster Turbines one of the most poorly built IEM's, I think there is even a thread about the quality.

Right now I'm mostly worried about Monster Turbines being fakes, but now that you brought up the build issue I'm thinking twice. The Klipsch are also considerably cheaper on Amazon. Would I have to worry about fakes with the S4?

Jul 17, 2011 at 8:07 PM Post #8 of 11
If you're passing the S4's up due to concerns about failing components - the Turbines are the last iems you should consider.  Quality Control seems to be a big issue at Monster, and the pair of original turbines I've had also suffered from ungluing of the housing.  I've owned both, and preferred the S4 s/s / build.  They were much more comfy in ear too,   

Jul 17, 2011 at 11:32 PM Post #9 of 11

Quote:

Right now I'm mostly worried about Monster Turbines being fakes, but now that you brought up the build issue I'm thinking twice. The Klipsch are also considerably cheaper on Amazon. Would I have to worry about fakes with the S4?

If you buy the Turbines off amazon at the sale price they are at right now, you get a nice deal and they should be real.

Jul 18, 2011 at 1:02 AM Post #11 of 11
There is no best and even then the S4 is imo not even one of the best. Unless you've tried every top option in this range, I wouldn't go so far. Read joker's multi-iem thread and base your decision on the information you can gather. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back