Best IEM for rock music around 50-60 USD
Aug 10, 2013 at 11:06 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

SittesJoe

New Head-Fier
Hey guys,

I`m new to this forum, but I hope the expertise of the old members will help me. I do not consider myself being an audiophil,however I like to get the best for my money and don`t mind lookingn for the best deal.

So, my old Sennheiser CX300 just reached the end of it`s lifecycle , and I should look for a replacement soon. I would like to find the best deal for a maximum of 60 USD for rock music. I only listen to instrumental rock and metal music, mainly the classics from the 60s up until to the 80s. Some names: Creedence clearwater revival, Foghat, Kansas, Black Sabbath, Guns n Roses, Kiss, Ozzy, ACDC, Bad Company, Metallica. Hope this will help to describe my taste.

Besides, of course I do listen to modern rock music, mainly southern rock, grunge, like 3 doors down, Tracer, Sarea, Seether, Korn.

I`m looking for the best available in-ear monitor for these kinds of music, which I will listen from Htc one x smartphone with Poweramp.

Could you please offer me something which would satisfy my needs? I do not have heavy requirements, however would prefer if the earphone would not end in a 90 degree jack. The jack slot is on the top of my phone, which I carry in my pocket and using a 90 degree jack easilbreaks the cable as per my experience.

Thank you for the advices

Aug 10, 2013 at 3:28 PM Post #2 of 12
The sennheisers are great for rock in my opinion. You could try the Klipsch s4is which on amazon are going on a great sale. They sound fantasic with rock if I may say so. After messing with the EQs, I was able to find something which made them sound MILES beyond their price range with rock music. Keep on looking around definitely but think about these though. I know that they are overrated, but at their current sale price I think its a worthy buy.
I understand that you have an android phone. You could try the klipsch s4as but these are a bit more expensive. THe s4s are raising in price too. THe s4is (even though they are made for an apple device) are very cheap right now. Even if you wont be able to use the in line remote, you will be saving a lot of money on the device itself. You should consider this before you buy.
Hope I was helpful and just ask me any questions you have
Nusho

Aug 10, 2013 at 10:42 PM Post #3 of 12
The sennheisers are great for rock in my opinion. You could try the Klipsch s4is which on amazon are going on a great sale. They sound fantasic with rock if I may say so. After messing with the EQs, I was able to find something which made them sound MILES beyond their price range with rock music. Keep on looking around definitely but think about these though. I know that they are overrated, but at their current sale price I think its a worthy buy.
I understand that you have an android phone. You could try the klipsch s4as but these are a bit more expensive. THe s4s are raising in price too. THe s4is (even though they are made for an apple device) are very cheap right now. Even if you wont be able to use the in line remote, you will be saving a lot of money on the device itself. You should consider this before you buy.
Nusho

Thank you for the tip. Actually I`m a little bit lost between the models because in some places I read that an armature iem is better for instrumental music, others vote for dynamic....and both line has it`s bestbuys :)

Aug 10, 2013 at 11:29 PM Post #4 of 12
Yea the BA and Dynamic debate. Dynamic drivers will give you much fuller bass at lower price points because they use air. BA drivers dont meaning that the detail is unparralleled (engineers dont need to factor in the variability of the air) while the soundstage and attack/decay is exceptional. BUT at your price point you will not get a worthy BA driver (at least from what I have come across). Stick with dynamic i would say. Rock also relies on heavy drum punches and that livens up the music. Dynamic would be better even if you can find BAs in this price range. 

But yes instrumental and pure vocal and almost any kind of music goes straight down to BA (Especially if you buy an iem with multiple drivers in each earpiece so one driver controls the lower end and the others higher ends -- it varies but u get the picture). But i assume that ur rock will really go across the sound spectrum. You will have a lot of low ends, powerful low and high mids, good treble (but for rock i dont think it will reach that high). In your price range go for dynamic and dont worry about it too much. But a lot of people say that dynamic drivers require burn in (I agree too. My klipsch s4 is proof) so you will have to allot some time. 
Btw a lot of people say you should do burn in on volume levels much higher than ur normal listening volume, but i beleive it should be the same if not LOWER. From my experience, this had made the sound more liquid and controlled (but the burning in process takes more time).
Hope this was helpful
Nusho

Aug 11, 2013 at 8:51 PM Post #7 of 12
Everywhere I read, all the professional forums say that the entry level sennheisers - compared to the current choice of difference manufacturers - are cheap craps.....the cx300 is a 5-6 year old modell, guess in the meanwhile there was some improvement in iems

Apr 18, 2016 at 9:55 AM Post #9 of 12
Hello everyone,

Unfortunately after a few years I have to bring up the question again.....I went through Meelec A161, VSonic VSD3S and Vsonic VSD5 in the last couple of years, but as my VSD5 just dies a few days ago, and need a good replacement for it.
Honestly, I was perfectly satisfied with the VSD5, but just thought there might be a better deal out of the market....being an almost 2 years old design.

So, what I'm looking for is:
- an IEM for rock music - all gender- nothing special on the technical part, mainly from spotify best quality or poweramps + 320 kbps MP3 from my phone
- over-the-ear design (VSD series are just perfectly comfortable)
- MMCX type replaceable cable
- price range around 60-70 USD (around 100 SGD)
- similar sound shape like the VSD5. The VSD3 was a bit too harsh for me, liked the clearness of the VSD5.

Simply busing a new VSD5 is still an option, but honestly I lost some trust in VSonic in terms of build quality....so if there is something out on the market with similar capabilities, but with more robust (e.g metal) design, what should I look for?

thanks in advance

Apr 18, 2016 at 11:34 AM Post #10 of 12
If you have your own over-ear guides, I'd recommend SoundMAGIC E10, which is absolutely knockout for rock and which has excellent build quality. Great isolation. Can't go wrong with the E10. Very reasonably priced, too.

Apr 18, 2016 at 12:52 PM Post #11 of 12
Nusho

+1 on the Klipsch S4 series.

I picked mine up a few years ago for around $50 (maybe less) on amazon when they were on sale. I haven't messed with the EQ much but I threw on a pair of complys (complies? however you spell that) and I must admit, for the cost the performance isn't bad at all.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back