Best IEM for "Metalhead" using Cowon S9
Dec 18, 2009 at 11:10 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

looli

New Head-Fier
I am buying IEM headphones to use them with Cowon S9. I am an audiophile and my budget is around 500EUR or even higher... I play drums so I will use them for live/studio monitoring/recording, non-professional music production and of course (mostly) for a home, portable/sport use. Music styles: metal, rock, grunge, tribal, progressive, industrial,... (some of the bands: Meshuggah, Cannibal Corpse, Tool, The Mars Volta, Deftones, NIN,...)

What I want to hear from my gear is natural, warm, crisp and not overdistorted sound; as linear frequency response as possible; dynamics of all instruments, especially in lower and higher mids; decent bass punch and kick drum attack; presence in highs... and I don't like hiss.

I would appreciate not to use an AMP but if it is necessary for better sound...

Please advise me which IEM or IEM + AMP would suit my needs best? What would you suggest if the budget wouldn't be limited?

Thank you.

Dec 18, 2009 at 12:14 PM Post #3 of 9
I listen mostly to death/black/thrash metal on my Sony x1050 with Fiio E5-amped Head Direct RE0, bassboost enabled. Meshuggah's "Obzen" and Gojira's "From Mars to Sirius" sound absolutely stellar. Very neutral IEM's and with a little help in the bass from the Fiio they are great for distorted guitar and the sometimes tight and compressed metal-productions. They even sound great with the more analog, dynamic black metal sound of, for example, Wolves in the Throneroom and Drudkh. Check out the reviews on the RE0! Should be right up your alley. And for $80 they are an absolute steal. You can add a Ibasso D4 or even an iQube and still be within your budget.

The ultimate way to enjoy my metal 320kbps rips is with an amped Grado though. They seem to be made for that stuff. Totally immersive and crushing.
devil_face.gif

edit:
Just read your comment about your budget. As a musician, I'd look into the customs if I were you. JH Audio 10X3 can be had for +/- 500 euro I think.

Dec 18, 2009 at 7:19 PM Post #4 of 9
Thank you all for your replies. I've already heard all the best about IE8 but I would probably prefer IEMs with 3 drivers. I would really like to hear all the instruments in the mix... The problem is I can nowhere listen to all those iEMs. I read some reviews for JH Audio 10X3 and it seems they are really great IEMs. But I would prefer not to have custom made IEM. So I am thinking about Westone.

I am asking you what is the actual (hearing) difference between Westone 3 or UM3X? Which one would suit me best?
Would you suggest an AMP to use with Westone?
What about se530 or Sleek Audio? I've heart 530 has not a "good" bass but the Cowon S9 with BBE+ has a great bass. So maybe they can somehow compensate each other?

Dec 18, 2009 at 8:29 PM Post #5 of 9
I can't help you with the Westones since I have never owned one. They seem generally well received by rock music listeners. I do think that a Head Direct RE0 with a decent amp (Ibasso, RSA?) will suit a metalhead much better than a se530. The amp will bring out some extra bass and increase it's soundstage. Add to this the RE0's great detail and wonderful neutrality, crank up the volume to 11 and you have the perfect metal IEM if you ask me.
smily_headphones1.gif
Also, I borrowed a Sleek Audio SA1 from a friend but didn't like it. The modular design is cool but it sounded veiled and "light" to me. The SA6 seems much better. Still, I believe the RE0 + good amp is a better value. Good luck! \m/

Dec 18, 2009 at 10:20 PM Post #6 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by looli /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thank you all for your replies. I've already heard all the best about IE8 but I would probably prefer IEMs with 3 drivers. I would really like to hear all the instruments in the mix... The problem is I can nowhere listen to all those iEMs. I read some reviews for JH Audio 10X3 and it seems they are really great IEMs. But I would prefer not to have custom made IEM. So I am thinking about Westone.

I am asking you what is the actual (hearing) difference between Westone 3 or UM3X? Which one would suit me best?
Would you suggest an AMP to use with Westone?
What about se530 or Sleek Audio? I've heart 530 has not a "good" bass but the Cowon S9 with BBE+ has a great bass. So maybe they can somehow compensate each other?

You sure that three BA's beat a Dynamic driver?
smile_phones.gif

Dec 18, 2009 at 10:31 PM Post #7 of 9
I'm a metalhead with the UM3X. Do it. Now.

The bass is deep, tight, and punchy with a really quick attack. The frequency response sounds pretty linear, with maybe a bit of hump in the mids (guitars sound freaking awesome). Everything sounds crisp and realistic. They sound the best when they're cranked, especially with a good amp; no distortion at high volume.

If you're looking for an amp, I highly recommend adding the RSA Shadow to the setup. The Shadow gives the bass a bit more slam, with absolutely no distortion or flab. Drums sound killer with this combo.

I have the Sleek SA6 and they sound fantastic, but the UM3X crush them.

Also, from descriptions I've read around here, between the W3 and the UM3X, the UM3X have the more linear sound signature with a tighter bass.

Long live metal. \m/

Dec 19, 2009 at 4:56 PM Post #8 of 9
Thanks MetalGeek! You really helped me to decide. I have just ordered UM3X and can't wait to get it
smily_headphones1.gif
. I also read some other impressions and reviews of the Shadow and it seems fantastic... So, quite probable I'll buy one myself as well!

Dec 19, 2009 at 7:07 PM Post #9 of 9
please post your impressions here,i am interested if you will like um3x or not,

Users who are viewing this thread

Back