Best IEM for industrial!
Nov 15, 2011 at 6:58 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

Aigen

New Head-Fier
Hello dear head-fi'ers!

My name is Anastasia and I am obsessed with my favorite music )))))))))))))
[Post]industrial is quite difficult to play back correctly because it's a mix of styles with a specific sound that can't be described just as "heavy electronics". There are a multilayer sonic landscapes (e.g. Skinny Puppy and some of an ambient bands), there is raw minimalistic percussion (e.g. Throbbing Gristle or Einsturzende Neubauten), there are aggressive high-speed guitars&drums (e.g. Ministry) and finally power/rhythmic noise and dark folk!)))) 

My Sleeks SA6 are slowly dying after 3 years of use...So I want to find something that will be significantly better. I bought SA because my friend recommended it and I haven't listened to other IEMs of ths class. I love the detalisation, the truthful, clear way it plays but sometimes there is not enough impact and a lower goose-bumps-inducting bass. OK, at least they dont't lie like some other earphones.
The perfect IEM for me must be detailed, speedy, not too bright or coloured and with a good amount of bass where it's needed. Comfortable fit and removable cable is a big plus too. I am happy with Nationite and don't want to bother with amp or modding.

The main candidates are Westone UM3X and Earsonics SM3. The budget is $500. That do you think??? That else can you recommend???
If some of you heard a truly amazing IEMs that seem to suit my needs but cost much much more- please tell about it too! At least maybe I'll find it here to listen an to remember as a perfect reference))))))   Ah, how sweet are all these customs!....
BTW official UE site says that Nitzer Ebb, Ministry and SP use UE monitors on stage. I'm not sure if it is true or does it mean UE is good for listeneners if it's good for the artists but.....it's a pity that legendary classic TF10 are too huge and UE11 are too expensive.

Please excuse me for such a looooooooooong and hyperdetailed question!
atsmile.gif

A frustrated audiophile waiting for a black friday sales is a scary thing.
I would even add one about full-sized headphones if this forum wasn't divided by earphone types........

Nov 15, 2011 at 1:58 PM Post #2 of 4
I have the Westone UM3X and think they are great on Nine Inch Nails, for what that's worth.  They have a tight bass, not bloated.  There is a bit of mid-range emphasis, so when I listed to hip hop (for instance) I find myself focusing on the vocals more than I do with other iems.  You can get these from Earphone Solutions for close to $300 with the AMPD discount code.  I also have the Sennheiser IE8's.  Those have a stronger bass and a wider soundstage.  I love both of these iems, and think you would probably do great with either!  I have not heard the SM3's, so if you get those, please post your thoughts.

Nov 16, 2011 at 9:15 PM Post #3 of 4
Westone 3s have extended treble and bass that make music much more fun and enjoyable than some iems. It has very powerful bass where needed and lots of energy in the treble. I have never heard um3x and sm3 but from what u heave heard, it is very flat sound signature and may sound boring. (again, i never heard so forgive me if im wrong)
The ue customs are monitors for professional use. They can be good for a listener but they are made to produce a flat frequency response and will not have boost in bass or anywhere in the frequency. It may sound boring and not fun where as bass boosted iems sound fun and makes your music much more enjoyable for some.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back