Best IEM for gaming?
Jan 17, 2019 at 2:45 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

LouisArmstrong

1000+ Head-Fier
I know IEMs aren't ideal for gaming - a full surround sound system or headphones are always preferred. In fact I
have an Atmos 7.1.4 system installed and for games that support it, the effect is simply amazing.

But I also game at late night and 7.1.4 isn't really viable, and I do a lot of gaming during that time using simply the headphone jacks on my Xbox One Elite (for both Xbox One X and PC gaming) or PS4 controller. They aren't particularly powerful to drive full sized headphones, therefore I want to know what IEMs you guys have used and have good results, as far as gaming is concerned. Thanks.

Jan 18, 2019 at 2:19 AM Post #2 of 5
I know IEMs aren't ideal for gaming - a full surround sound system or headphones are always preferred. In fact I
have an Atmos 7.1.4 system installed and for games that support it, the effect is simply amazing.

But I also game at late night and 7.1.4 isn't really viable, and I do a lot of gaming during that time using simply the headphone jacks on my Xbox One Elite (for both Xbox One X and PC gaming) or PS4 controller. They aren't particularly powerful to drive full sized headphones, therefore I want to know what IEMs you guys have used and have good results, as far as gaming is concerned. Thanks.
I just plug my HD700 into PS4 controller and set it at max volume. I don't find anything lacking and HD700 isn't that demanding. On the plus side, it's very light weight and comfortable for extended sessions.
If I had to use an IEM, I will pick the IE 800 - Very accurate imaging and plenty of oomph (at 60% volume).

Jan 21, 2019 at 8:06 AM Post #4 of 5
I have used and enjoyed the hifi boy os v3. Good soundstage, good imaging, good detail retrieval (actually, in my opinion, this is probably the most undervalued thing for gaming), cheap (you can afford to lose or break it), and not very sensitive to the source, which is a plus if you go to your friend's house to play PS4 or if you need to plug them directly on your computer.

In my experience, when we talk about games the sound of the game is more important than the IEMs/headphones. You can have outstanding IEM/headphones and not be able to point out the sounds perfectly. In other words, you buy a very expensive IEM and find out that you are not able to point out your enemies perfectly. Some games have crappy sound quality, be careful.

Last edited:
Jan 21, 2019 at 9:12 PM Post #5 of 5

I see you have EX1000, why dont you just use EX1000? for gaming of course we need very good soundstage and imaging, deep sub bass and clear mids for dialogs, steps, etc. And EX1000 goodness cover it all.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back