best IEM for comfort while sleeping?
Sep 7, 2007 at 5:18 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 20

spurlints

New Head-Fier
So, I'm really happy with my (relatively) new SR60s, but I live in a pretty noisy dorm--no roommate, but still lots of sound leaks through the walls http://hfimage.head-fi.org/smilies/mad.gif
mad.gif

Therefore, when I save up the money, I'd like to get some IEMs that I can listen to while I go to sleep. I lay on my side (directly on the ear!), so I guess I would have to find one that doesn't protrude at all. Also, it would have to be really comfy so my ears wouldn't start aching after 7 or 8 hours!

Maybe the only thing that fits this description would be customs? The only custom that I could really afford would be Livewires, and I'm not sure that would be a good idea 'cause of their sensitivity.

Obviously, I need something that isolates really well too, but I'm not sure that varies a whole lot among in-ears?

BTW, my budget is limited to about $300, and sound quality is also a big concern! http://hfimage.head-fi.org/icons/icon10.gif
icon10.gif
Thanks!

Sep 7, 2007 at 5:25 AM Post #2 of 20
FWIW, I love my FX33's with Shure Orange Foamies. I have not listened to them while sleeping, cause I NEED to hear my alarm to wake me up. They don't stick out very far at all from my ears, YMMV.

Sep 7, 2007 at 6:16 AM Post #5 of 20
I only tried a couple of IEM awhile ago but both were painful, I don't like pushing anything into my ear canal... though it seems you don't have that problem so yeah, uh, sorry for this useless post.
tongue.gif
I plan to get a Shure IEM in a while for use with my ipod (sick of stock buds...) and will try to adapt.

Sep 7, 2007 at 7:45 AM Post #6 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by spurlints /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So, I'm really happy with my (relatively) new SR60s, but I live in a pretty noisy dorm--no roommate, but still lots of sound leaks through the walls http://hfimage.head-fi.org/smilies/mad.gif
mad.gif

Therefore, when I save up the money, I'd like to get some IEMs that I can listen to while I go to sleep. I lay on my side (directly on the ear!), so I guess I would have to find one that doesn't protrude at all. Also, it would have to be really comfy so my ears wouldn't start aching after 7 or 8 hours!

Maybe the only thing that fits this description would be customs? The only custom that I could really afford would be Livewires, and I'm not sure that would be a good idea 'cause of their sensitivity.

Obviously, I need something that isolates really well too, but I'm not sure that varies a whole lot among in-ears?

BTW, my budget is limited to about $300, and sound quality is also a big concern! http://hfimage.head-fi.org/icons/icon10.gif
icon10.gif
Thanks!

The Shure SE310 (better sound) or Etymotic ER6i (disappears more easily in the ear) - the E2c/E4c/E500 not quite as good if you sleep on your side, but doable (I have done it).

Sep 7, 2007 at 3:38 PM Post #7 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by CLum /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Aren't you worried about possibly not hearing a fire alarm and dying.
blink.gif

umm, no...lol there's a fire alarm close above my head, and I'm pretty sure nothing would isolate that well
tongue.gif

Anyways, the FX33s is always an attractive option b/c they're pretty cheap, and the SE310s are also b/c I already wanted some!

Sep 7, 2007 at 3:49 PM Post #8 of 20
Maybe you have to consider the Westone UM2. Thanks to the upcoming Westone 3 I think that there will be a lot of UM2 at the For Sale Trade
smily_headphones1.gif

With the foamies I can easily sleep all night with them inside my ears.

Sep 7, 2007 at 4:11 PM Post #9 of 20
Jays d/q-JAYS monitors and shure e2cs fit completely inside my ears when I sleep on them at night.

Word of caution... I accidently fell asleep with my e2c one time. I never listen at loud volumes, just barely above the channel imbalance point on the volume knob. my FM radio has a 30 minute timer that shuts it off at that time. I woke up in the middle of the night with tinnitus and ringing in both ears.
blink.gif
blink.gif
blink.gif
I think, the +/- pressure levels physically created in my ear canals is what caused it, as I rolled around. I normally don't roll around much in my sleep, but this is the only thing I can think of.

Now I am much more cautious, and listen to my PK1 at night in case I fall asleep with them on.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back