Best IEM for classical? Looking for a warm IEM
Jun 11, 2009 at 2:35 AM Post #16 of 45
What NC8000 said.

Otherwise, my TripleFi 10's sound just wonderful with classical music, very detailed, yet on the warmer side of clinical. Great instrument separation and good soundstage for an IEM. Instruments have a lovely 'body' to them.

But, if you're into extended treble, ER4P. Triple flange tips also ensure a ridiculous amount of isolation from external noise.

Jun 11, 2009 at 7:34 PM Post #18 of 45
Quote:

Originally Posted by comuneros /img/forum/go_quote.gif
And what about the Yuin? Latelly seems threre are very little interest about Yuin earbuds. Are the Yuin (PK1) not recommended?

Is that all you have to say? Not even a polite 'Thank you for comments/ recommendation'

Jun 11, 2009 at 7:48 PM Post #19 of 45
^^What was the point of that post? No need to call the guy out bec he didn't thank you all right away - there is not even a shade of rudeness in his post either... He had another another question, so he asked it. I am sure he would have expressed his thanks when we were done discussing...

Anyway, I will toss my 2c in on the suggestions: I am not a huge classical music connoisseur/pro, but I will say that the little classical I listen to sounds excellent out of my Audeo PFE's. They do a nice job of balancing detail/warmth, so they might be just what you are looking for.

I had some experience with the Senn. IE7's and while the soundstage was pretty excellent, I am not sure they are what you are looking for. I didn't find them overly detailed and the bass was HUGE and boomy to the point it drowned out the mids.

Jun 11, 2009 at 7:59 PM Post #20 of 45
^^ No, his post wasn't rude, but when someone bothers to reply, even providing links and useful advice the least OP could do, I think, is to say 'Thank you' before going on to ask for extra advice. But, hey, that's probably me (and some others, I guess)

Jun 11, 2009 at 9:36 PM Post #21 of 45
I find that a portable amp might not improve raw SQ - especially on the move when you have distractions and other noise - but when in a quiet spot sitting still the biggest difference is the clarity and cleanness of an amp via line out versus the headphone port.

with 160GB classic I get much less electrical and HD noise via LOD+amp rather than headphone out with my UM2s. on the move it's pretty irrelevant though.

Jun 11, 2009 at 10:26 PM Post #22 of 45
Quote:

Originally Posted by nc8000 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Haven't heard any of the others but an ER4 with a well burned in APS cable is magical for classical

I second that. My ER4s are freakin' amazing for classical. Especially for strings.

Jun 11, 2009 at 10:38 PM Post #23 of 45
Quote:

Originally Posted by Menisk /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I second that. My ER4s are freakin' amazing for classical. Especially for strings.

Yep, the ER4 is a good choice for classical. Very coherent and smooth. To these ears the more balanced version is the 4S, but that's my own preference, and I know many other's on Head-Fi like the 4P. If you can, spring for custom molds from Westone, style No. 34, which helps minimize the discomfort associated with universal fit issues, and eliminates the variation in SQ due to the different ear tips (e.g. foam, rubber, etc.).

Jun 11, 2009 at 10:59 PM Post #24 of 45
Quote:

Originally Posted by Rdr. Seraphim /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yep, the ER4 is a good choice for classical. Very coherent and smooth. To these ears the more balanced version is the 4S, but that's my own preference, and I know many other's on Head-Fi like the 4P. If you can, spring for custom molds from Westone, style No. 34, which helps minimize the discomfort associated with universal fit issues, and eliminates the variation in SQ due to the different ear tips (e.g. foam, rubber, etc.).

x3. To me 4S sounded more refined and neutral than 4P. Right after that would be PFE's which sound about 90% similar to ER-4's but with better comfort. To me at least.

Jun 11, 2009 at 11:16 PM Post #25 of 45
Quote:

Is that all you have to say? Not even a polite 'Thank you for comments/ recommendation'

I appreciate all your comments and help, but I was waiting a recomendation/comment about YUIN phones (I ask about them in my first post) to thanks everybody. Sorry if I have been unthankful.

I have read carefully all what you have written. The recommendations are very different:

ER4 (perhaps not very warm)
TripleFi 10's
Klipsch Custom 3's
IE8
UM3X and ES3X

Now I have more doubts than at the beginning
wink.gif
There isn't consensus but yours opinion (and ALL the post that I have read) have helped me a little. One think that you have not commented is the sonic difference between IEMs and the earbuds like PK1. If anyone has an opinion about this...

Thanks to all!

Jun 11, 2009 at 11:58 PM Post #26 of 45
Quote:

I have read carefully all what you have written. The recommendations are very different:

TripleFi 10's
Klipsch Custom 3's
IE8
UM3X and ES3X

wink.gif
There isn't consensus but yours opinion (and ALL the post that I have read) have helped me a little. One think that you have not commented is the sonic difference between IEMs and the earbuds like PK1. If anyone has an opinion about this...

Thanks to all!

IEM's will generally have tighter bass than earbuds. If earbuds have bass it's generally a bit loose and boomy, whereas IEM's, because they seal in your ear, can have a tight controlled bass sound. (There are exceptions to that rule, but I think that's true of everything above.)

The short answer to the lack of consensus is that nothing on the list above is bad. They are likely all excellent. It's just a matter of what your preference for sound is. That may not be very helpful, but if you choose something on the list above and you're not directly comparing it to something else on the list, you'll likely be very happy.

Jun 12, 2009 at 12:29 AM Post #27 of 45
Quote:

I appreciate all your comments and help, but I was waiting a recomendation/comment about YUIN phones (I ask about them in my first post) to thanks everybody. Sorry if I have been unthankful.

TripleFi 10's
Klipsch Custom 3's
IE8
UM3X and ES3X

wink.gif

Thanks to all!

I've owned PK1 and TF10 before but I thought the ER-4S's were better at resolving classical music. TF10's sounded too colored for classical music and didn't sound anything like that of real instruments whereas PK1's sounded somewhat neutral but lacked soundstage and seperation between instruments. Both were properly amped but none responded as well as ER-4S's did. Of course, this is just my opinion.

Jun 12, 2009 at 2:18 AM Post #28 of 45
Quote:

Originally Posted by analogbox /img/forum/go_quote.gif
TF10's sounded too colored for classical music and didn't sound anything like that of real instruments.... Of course, this is just my opinion.

I disagree. You're probably right in saying that the Etys are more accurate, but to say that the TF10 renders instuments badly or unnaturally is an exaggeration to say the least. To me, they sound fantastic for classical. Brass instruments, in particular, are amazingly real.

Jun 12, 2009 at 4:23 AM Post #29 of 45
Quote:

Hi,

I'm looking for an IEM with a sound similar to my AKG 412P: very noticiable and extended treble, good midrange, very open soundstage, warm, euforic. I prefer a bright but refined sound. I could spend between 200 - 400 Euros. I listening mainly classical (Barroque over all), folk and pop. I don't like dark headphones with a tiny sounstage, my kind of sound is warm, with extended and good presence of treble, refined sound, good (very open) soundstage and warm and detailed midrange. Very important for me: I don't want highs rolled off.

Do you think that IE8 is suittable for me? I'm gonna use a Sony walman (probably with some EQ) as source. Perhaps the EQ can compensate certain lack of treble in the IE8. Or perhaps is preferible the Westone 3? Any other I must consider?

Another option is a high grade Yuin (I know that these are not IEM) but perhaps the sound is more similar to my AKG 412P. What Yuin I must consider for the sound I'm looking for? (pk1, pk2, ok1 u ok2)

As I have already said my souce will be a Sony walman.

Thanks for your help.

Sounds like the UM3x

Jun 12, 2009 at 4:38 AM Post #30 of 45
Quote:

Originally Posted by Duckman /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I disagree. You're probably right in saying that the Etys are more accurate, but to say that the TF10 renders instuments badly or unnaturally is an exaggeration to say the least. To me, they sound fantastic for classical. Brass instruments, in particular, are amazingly real.

Everybody's hearing is different so you could be right in saying that they sound fantastic on classical. But when I compared them side by side with phones which I think are neutral phones such as HD600 and K501, and strictly speaking about sound and sound signature only, TF10 had the most colored sound, the bass was too emphasized and the mid was lacking somewhat. I was listening to mostly string works such as Bach and Tchaikovsky's violin concertos. Even compared to PFE's, they just didn't sound true to me. On the other hand, they excelled in rock music and sort of reminded me of Grado SR-325's but with more bass.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back