Best IEM for beginners (under $30)
Nov 11, 2022 at 7:00 PM Post #16 of 21
Its more than your budget but the TRN ST5 is a really great set for the price, especially for pop music.

Nov 11, 2022 at 10:03 PM Post #17 of 21
I'm also interested, what cable should I search for?

You can search "NiceHCK cable" on Aliexpress. They actually do OEM for other cable companies and are quite well regarded. I won't talk about cables changing the sound signature (that's a big can of worms on forums), but the NiceHCK cables are pretty decent in terms of haptics, microphonics, suppleness. Also measure pretty low on resistances. They have sub $10 USD cables all the way to pricier ones.

My personal favourite is the 8 core copper cable of NiceHCK, but this one does not have a mic.

Nov 12, 2022 at 7:53 AM Post #18 of 21
Its more than your budget but the TRN ST5 is a really great set for the price, especially for pop music.
But what specific term should I search for? If I search cable for IEMs I come up with cables specific for a particular model and not the Salnotes
You can search "NiceHCK cable" on Aliexpress. They actually do OEM for other cable companies and are quite well regarded. I won't talk about cables changing the sound signature (that's a big can of worms on forums), but the NiceHCK cables are pretty decent in terms of haptics, microphonics, suppleness. Also measure pretty low on resistances. They have sub $10 USD cables all the way to pricier ones.

My personal favourite is the 8 core copper cable of NiceHCK, but this one does not have a mic.
Awesome! This is very helpful! The only doubt I have is on the cable's connector that plugs in the IEM, some IEMs have the connector that differs from the other (NX7 2Pin, QDC 2Pin, 0.78 2Pin, ecc, ecc)? What should I look for the Salnotes Zero?

Nov 12, 2022 at 8:49 AM Post #19 of 21
Awesome! This is very helpful! The only doubt I have is on the cable's connector that plugs in the IEM, some IEMs have the connector that differs from the other (NX7 2Pin, QDC 2Pin, 0.78 2Pin, ecc, ecc)? What should I look for the Salnotes Zero?

Ya unfortunately, 2 pin connectors have many variants for their terminations.

For the Salnotes Zero, choose a 0.78 mm 2 pin option. Actually, the Salnotes Zero's stock cable is okay in my book, I don't think you should spend too much on a cable for it (the IEM cost 20 bucks also), since there are other areas that give more changes in the sound in the audio chain - eg eartips, source, music files etc.

Nov 12, 2022 at 9:24 AM Post #20 of 21
Ya unfortunately, 2 pin connectors have many variants for their terminations.

For the Salnotes Zero, choose a 0.78 mm 2 pin option. Actually, the Salnotes Zero's stock cable is okay in my book, I don't think you should spend too much on a cable for it (the IEM cost 20 bucks also), since there are other areas that give more changes in the sound in the audio chain - eg eartips, source, music files etc.
I completely agree, there's not much sense in spending money on a cable for a cheap IEM, but since the Salnotes Zero doesn't have a mic I thought of just buying a new cable with the mic buit in, then I just saw that the cheapest I could find is about 20$, that doesn't make any sense considering that I just bought the Zero for 16.99$.
I think I will do without it :sweat_smile:
Any tip for the ear...tips?:smile:

Last edited:
Nov 12, 2022 at 9:28 AM Post #21 of 21
I completely agree, there's not much sense in spending money on a cable for a cheap IEM, but since the Salnotes Zero doesn't have a mic I thought of just buying a new cable with the mic buit in, then I just saw that the cheapest I could find is about 20$, that doesn't make any sense considering that I just bought the Zero for 16.99$.
I think I will do without it :sweat_smile:
Any tip for the ear...tips?:smile:

The stock tips are also quite usable, but if you want to tame the treble a bit (and increase the bass), do consider foam tips or silicone tips like the Final E black tips. But once again, the Final E tips retail at about 15 bucks, so it is really quite questionable if you should pay for tips that cost around the same as the IEM!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back