Best IEM for beginners (under $30)
Oct 14, 2022 at 12:32 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 21

thisisalbi

New Head-Fier
Hi guys , I am just beginning my journey into IEM. I am more of a melophile per say but previously nit-peaked a lot in buying earphones/headphone/tws but never tried IEM before.

I am currently restricting my budget to $ 30 dollar as I recently have ordered Airpods Pro 2 . I am confused If Blon bl03 still the best in this price range or is there a new Champ ? I am actually quite concern about the wire and ear tips' poor review of blon. I don't want to replace it just after buying! You people 's help will be really appreciated .

Oct 14, 2022 at 12:45 AM Post #2 of 21
Would need some further info before the community can fine-tune their suggestions:

1) What music genres do you listen to?
2) What is your preferred sound signature? Basshead? Treblehead? Neutral? Treble-sensitive?
3) What source are you using to drive the IEMs?
4) Is isolation a priority?

Oct 14, 2022 at 12:58 AM Post #3 of 21
Would need some further info before the community can fine-tune their suggestions:

1) What music genres do you listen to?
2) What is your preferred sound signature? Basshead? Treblehead? Neutral? Treble-sensitive?
3) What source are you using to drive the IEMs?
4) Is isolation a priority?
To be Frank , as I mentioned I am quite new to audiophile genre , so pls allow me to use some non techy terms. Ok so ,
1. I listened to Pop and classics mainly but more open to any genre .

2. Not basshead for sure. I like bass in a way that it should come when it needs , not over powering any other thing. I like sound more bright , with clear vocals , overall a warm feeling music . Though all this may sound like I am a total flat EQ person but I also like The V set up as I find it adds a little depth into it. (may be my interpretation is kinda off )
3. I don't have any extra amp , I am using my smartphone, is IQOO 9se , a midrange premium phone with Ig moderately good hardware and flagship chipset so I am guessing the DAC (built in one ) is not too much poor. Also I am going to use it with my macbook air M1 and iPad basic .

I am using Spotify premium, yt music premium and some downloaded flac as my source of audio files.
4. Well , as it's my first IEM , I don't how much isolation of instruments is considered to say it good or bad. Take this point as neutral , I don't offcourse like a mix up so much that I can't separate between any instruments but whatever makes an IEM great enough for listening and maybe better than the Airpods Pro (?).

Oct 14, 2022 at 1:00 AM Post #4 of 21
To be Frank , as I mentioned I am quite new to audiophile genre , so pls allow me to use some non techy terms. Ok so ,
1. I listened to Pop and classics mainly but more open to any genre .

2. Not basshead for sure. I like bass in a way that it should come when it needs , not over powering any other thing. I like sound more bright , with clear vocals , overall a warm feeling music . Though all this may sound like I am a total flat EQ person but I also like The V set up as I find it adds a little depth into it. (may be my interpretation is kinda off )
3. I don't have any extra amp , I am using my smartphone, is IQOO 9se , a midrange premium phone with Ig moderately good hardware and flagship chipset so I am guessing the DAC (built in one ) is not too much poor. Also I am going to use it with my macbook air M1 and iPad basic .

I am using Spotify premium, yt music premium and some downloaded flac as my source of audio files.
4. Well , as it's my first IEM , I don't how much isolation of instruments is considered to say it good or bad. Take this point as neutral , I don't offcourse like a mix up so much that I can't separate between any instruments but whatever makes an IEM great enough for listening and maybe better than the Airpods Pro (?).

For your budget considerations, I would advise the Salnotes Zero. Neutral bright set with above average technical performance. Does most areas well, and it is a really good beginner set at 20 bucks.

Do take note there are many other budget IEMs called Zero (eg Truthear, Tanchjim, BGVP), the one we are talking about is the SALNOTES Zero.

Oct 14, 2022 at 1:03 AM Post #5 of 21
For your budget considerations, I would advise the Salnotes Zero. Neutral bright set with above average technical performance. Does most areas well, and it is a really good beginner set at 20 bucks.

Do take note there are many other budget IEMs called Zero (eg Truthear, Tanchjim, BGVP), the one we are talking about is the SALNOTES Zero.
I am wishing to pay a little more till 30 dollar price bracket. For the salnotes , I hear quite lot of negative comments, can you pls compare it with moondrop CHU? Any other option in 30 dollar price range ? Also what's about the blon 03 ? Has it lost its popularity and are these (CHU and zero ) better than blon ?

Oct 14, 2022 at 1:10 AM Post #6 of 21
I am wishing to pay a little more till 30 dollar price bracket. For the salnotes , I hear quite lot of negative comments, can you pls compare it with moondrop CHU? Any other option in 30 dollar price range ? Also what's about the blon 03 ? Has it lost its popularity and are these (CHU and zero ) better than blon ?

The BLON BL-03 is V shaped (harman with a midbass bump) and is a level shy of basshead levels. The bass bleeds quite bad and intrudes into the midrange, so I wouldn't recommend it based on your initial statement of preferring less bass and more treble. The BL-03 is also a bit darkish in the upper treble. It has excellent timbre, very thick note weight, but is quite weak in technicalities. Also the fit is very polarizing, as it has a very short nozzle, so most people need to do mods or buy aftermarket longer nozzle tips to get a good fit, all of which adds to costs.

Between the Moondrop CHU and Salnotes Zero, tonally, the two are similar, but the Chu is hotter in the lower treble. The Chu also has a markedly more nasal and metallic timbre than the Zero. Technically, the Chu is slightly worse - being weaker in imaging, instrument separation, and soundstage.

The deal breaker though, may be that the Chu has a non-detachable cable, which may be a point of failure down the line. Between the 2, I'd take the Salnotes Zero any day.

If there are some areas to nitpick regarding the Zero, they are:
- Lack of bass quantity, not for bassheads
- May be fatiguing and sibilant, not ideal for treble-sensitive folk
- Sterile tuning, with thin note weight
- Possible fit issues

Another option to consider and read about is the Astrotec Vesna. Quite a nice balanced set, there's a more expensive detachable version and a cheaper non-detachable version. Average technically, bullet-shaped. Needs a bit of amplification to scale better though.

Oct 14, 2022 at 2:14 AM Post #7 of 21
The BLON BL-03 is V shaped (harman with a midbass bump) and is a level shy of basshead levels. The bass bleeds quite bad and intrudes into the midrange, so I wouldn't recommend it based on your initial statement of preferring less bass and more treble. The BL-03 is also a bit darkish in the upper treble. It has excellent timbre, very thick note weight, but is quite weak in technicalities. Also the fit is very polarizing, as it has a very short nozzle, so most people need to do mods or buy aftermarket longer nozzle tips to get a good fit, all of which adds to costs.

Between the Moondrop CHU and Salnotes Zero, tonally, the two are similar, but the Chu is hotter in the lower treble. The Chu also has a markedly more nasal and metallic timbre than the Zero. Technically, the Chu is slightly worse - being weaker in imaging, instrument separation, and soundstage.

The deal breaker though, may be that the Chu has a non-detachable cable, which may be a point of failure down the line. Between the 2, I'd take the Salnotes Zero any day.

If there are some areas to nitpick regarding the Zero, they are:
- Lack of bass quantity, not for bassheads
- May be fatiguing and sibilant, not ideal for treble-sensitive folk
- Sterile tuning, with thin note weight
- Possible fit issues

Another option to consider and read about is the Astrotec Vesna. Quite a nice balanced set, there's a more expensive detachable version and a cheaper non-detachable version. Average technically, bullet-shaped. Needs a bit of amplification to scale better though.
Okay thank you. As the Astronech Vesna is not available I am rooting for the Salnotes. Also does it need to have a DAC ? I am not willing to buy one for now.

Oct 14, 2022 at 3:14 AM Post #9 of 21
Okay thank you. As the Astronech Vesna is not available I am rooting for the Salnotes. Also does it need to have a DAC ? I am not willing to buy one for now.

The Salnotes Zero is relatively easy to drive, amplification is not 100% necessary, though with some juice, dynamics improve and the bass is tighter.

Oct 14, 2022 at 5:28 AM Post #10 of 21
The Salnotes Zero is relatively easy to drive, amplification is not 100% necessary, though with some juice, dynamics improve and the bass is tighter.
As I find out there's no inline mic with it , is there any alternative with inline mic ? I don't want to change the cable just right now and CHU is not a possible option as there will not be any future upgrade as the wire is fixed.

Oct 14, 2022 at 9:06 AM Post #11 of 21
As I find out there's no inline mic with it , is there any alternative with inline mic ? I don't want to change the cable just right now and CHU is not a possible option as there will not be any future upgrade as the wire is fixed.

From an audiophile perspective, I'm not a fan of cables with mic, as they may be a point of failure down the line, plus sometimes resistance is a bit higher on the side with the mic. I understand some may want the mic for zoom meetings and calls though.

FWIW, u can easily buy a detachable cable around $10 or so with a mic on Aliexpress.

Oct 14, 2022 at 9:47 AM Post #12 of 21

Quick google search shows your phone does not have 3.5mm jack. How are you planning to connect the iem? Does ipad have 3.5mm? I see the M1 has one.

Oct 14, 2022 at 10:20 AM Post #14 of 21
You can really pick any of the available iem's mentioned here to start you off. They are all good entry level iem's. My vote goes to Salnotes Zero(it was my starter set). Whichever you pick, idea is to get a baseline set for your preference based on the sound signature of the one you picked. You can then stick with one you have or step it up to next level based on your preference.

Nov 11, 2022 at 6:55 PM Post #15 of 21
[..]

FWIW, u can easily buy a detachable cable around $10 or so with a mic on Aliexpress.
I'm also interested, what cable should I search for?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back