Best IEM for acoustic music: Ety ER-4P / UE Triple Fi / Klipsch Image / Shure SE530?
Aug 5, 2008 at 11:55 PM Post #31 of 40
Quote:

Originally Posted by dogteal /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I just wanna throw my .02 in since I own a pair of Shure SE530s and had a pair of ER4Ps which I have gave to my brother after purchasing the Shures.

Ok in regards to value, (best bang for the buck) especially if you are going to pay retail, the Ety ER4Ps just are unbeatable. The resolve upper mids with a smidgen more detail than do the Shure SE530s. In almost every other regard though the Shures have them beat just by the tiniest amount. The Shure sound fuller (the bass is definitely not over the top though) and give more space between the notes and instruments, just a better soundstage in general. the Shures are also hands down more comfy, but you pay for that since the Etys have them beat on isolation.

Dogteal -- thanks for that comparison. I'm using Ety 6is and I'm a bit surprised to hear that the 4ps compare quite so well with the twice as expensive 530s.

Is that unamped as well as amped?

Thanks,

Aug 6, 2008 at 3:36 PM Post #32 of 40
Quote:

Originally Posted by Hatmann /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Dogteal -- thanks for that comparison. I'm using Ety 6is and I'm a bit surprised to hear that the 4ps compare quite so well with the twice as expensive 530s.

Is that unamped as well as amped?

Thanks,

This was listening from my computer through my Corda 2move portable amp.

I still do like the bass and lower mids on my SE530s enough to justify it for me, it just rounds them out perfectly. Though that might not be as big an issue if you are mostly listenning to acoustic, although it does give the strings a "fatter" sound.

Aug 8, 2008 at 9:36 AM Post #33 of 40
Hmmmm. I'm beginning to wonder whether I should get a pair of ER-4Ps to compare with my Shure E500s, TF 10s, SF 5 pros and Shure E4Cs.

Of all these I prefer the E500s and the SF5s. I've kind of gone off the 10s - Not warm enough, so I suppose the ER-4Ps may not be for me.....

Anyway, if anyway wants to check the phones out give me a shout and we may be able to sort something out

Aug 8, 2008 at 1:00 PM Post #34 of 40
If you like warm, I couldn't really recommend ER-4P - I don't find them cold, and their bass is lovely, deep & clean, but if you are a fan of Shure-like warmth and SE530 prominent bass...

IMHO, uh-uh.

Aug 8, 2008 at 1:58 PM Post #35 of 40
Quote:

Originally Posted by steviebee /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If you like warm, I couldn't really recommend ER-4P - I don't find them cold, and their bass is lovely, deep & clean, but if you are a fan of Shure-like warmth and SE530 prominent bass...

IMHO, uh-uh.

Cheers for the advice Stevie. I'm kind of interested in the great detail they possess and how they compare to the others, but probably not enough to splash the cash!
smily_headphones1.gif
How do you find them against the 10s?

Aug 8, 2008 at 2:40 PM Post #36 of 40
Triple Fi are, in comparison, quite coloured (in a pleasing way! Lovely euphonic presentation to my ears), very bassy - enough for me, I would not want more... & have an effortless sound. Er-4P/S are very clean, very enjoyable & allow you to 'see' into the music. Their bass is, for me, damn near perfect. They do not have the soundstage of The Triples & can sound a little 'thin' sometimes, and can really reveal bad rips/recordings. Triple Fi have a fuller, 'fun' presentation that continues to surprise me. I've had a quite a few sleepless nights listening to Triple Fi -too damn enjoyable to put down!

Both offer different presentations - I'm a Triple Fi nut, but I do love my ER-4 as well...

Aug 11, 2008 at 5:14 AM Post #38 of 40
Some of the Shures sound really nice with small acoustic ensembles, the best example being solo piano. I think they sound natural as a speaker, which is not necessarily the same as a flat response. Somehow the overtones feel more natural, even if it's not exactly the same as the natural instrument. I think this is what some people are describing as sound stage. With more information, such as an orchestra, they start to lose clarity, maybe because all those speaker-natural overtones from different instruments separate too far from what the orchestra sound like. If you mostly listen to acoustic music, and particularly small ensembles, I wouldn't write off the Shures. Otherwise, I'm a die-hard Ety fan until I dare spring for the ue11.

Aug 11, 2008 at 6:18 AM Post #39 of 40
Thanks for your comments - I do find my Etys pretty good so will be keeping them. What I upgrade to is still up in the air, but the more brands I try the better idea I will have.

Cheers
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back