Best IEM for ~$100? Here is what I need:
Apr 13, 2013 at 9:50 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

mindstormer

New Head-Fier
I am on my computer for the majority of the day--at least 10 hours. I currently use the ATH-AD700 headphones all day long.

- I watch movies and tons of Youtube videos as well as listen to a wide variety of music (though nothing too extreme--mostly classical, pop, alternative music, etc.), so the IEM shouldn't be lacking in any areas in terms of range (but based on what I listen to, I'm guessing I like mid to upper range?). Overall sound quality must be high, obviously. 

- I commute every day, so I need the IEM to be very durable (I would read reviews of certain popular IEMs and don't even consider them because users claim they break in a few months). I've spent $50 on a Seinheisser earphone and it broke in less than year--I don't plan on shelling $100 every year on a set of earphones. 

- Because I commute, I'm guessing I want some noise-cancellation (is that the right term? or noise-isloation?).

- Lastly, the IEM should be comfortable because I plan on wearing it for the majority of the day.

Thanks. Any recommendations are welcomed and I will be reading the reviews of the recommended IEMs. Ask me any questions if necessary--I will be refreshing this page frequently. I really want to order one ASAP considering I'm currently using some $5 earphone as a temporary replacement. 

Apr 13, 2013 at 10:15 PM Post #2 of 11
For  $100.00, you can get a GH-ERC-DMS which is the cheapest TWFK earphone there is. With Comply tips, they provide some of the best sound I have heard from an ear phone, you also get 1 year warranty(though in Japan only) 

They are very durable although I covered the cable with embroidery floss. They provide excellent isolation and comfort. They might not be the best for crappy youtube videos ( especially if you listen to music from youtube ) but they are good for movies. 

I think they are the best value you can get but you might want to check the RE-400 by Hifiman! 

Best luck with your purchase.

Apr 14, 2013 at 11:25 PM Post #4 of 11
Any more recommendations? (Or any experiences with the ones recommended above)? It's very hard to research for IEMs because there's just so many of them and reviews are so subjective and often bias.

Apr 15, 2013 at 1:12 AM Post #6 of 11
Quote:
I am on my computer for the majority of the day--at least 10 hours. I currently use the ATH-AD700 headphones all day long.

- I watch movies and tons of Youtube videos as well as listen to a wide variety of music (though nothing too extreme--mostly classical, pop, alternative music, etc.), so the IEM shouldn't be lacking in any areas in terms of range (but based on what I listen to, I'm guessing I like mid to upper range?). Overall sound quality must be high, obviously. 

- I commute every day, so I need the IEM to be very durable (I would read reviews of certain popular IEMs and don't even consider them because users claim they break in a few months). I've spent $50 on a Seinheisser earphone and it broke in less than year--I don't plan on shelling $100 every year on a set of earphones. 

- Because I commute, I'm guessing I want some noise-cancellation (is that the right term? or noise-isloation?).

- Lastly, the IEM should be comfortable because I plan on wearing it for the majority of the day.

Thanks. Any recommendations are welcomed and I will be reading the reviews of the recommended IEMs. Ask me any questions if necessary--I will be refreshing this page frequently. I really want to order one ASAP considering I'm currently using some $5 earphone as a temporary replacement. 

First off - http://www.head-fi.org/t/596233/buying-portable-or-in-ear-headphones-seeking-guidance-dont-start-a-new-thread-ask-for-advice-here
http://www.head-fi.org/t/478568/multi-iem-review-278-iems-compared-astrotec-am-800-dx-60-added-03-31-13-p-659#post_6492044

How do you usually break the IEMs? Do the drivers just go out or is it just cable failure. If it's the latter, would look extra hard at the RE-400 as I have them right here and the strain relief, while good, is leaving me fairly worried, as well as the angle of the jack. Comfort and sound wise they seem to be the ticket though. They also do much better shallowly inserted (not that the nozzles won't let you go especially deep anyways). 

Apr 15, 2013 at 12:50 PM Post #7 of 11
For my previous IEM, the right side just began to stop working unless I twist the cable at a certain way and hold it there. Eventually, both sides stopped working regardless of what I did. I'll look into your recommendations.

One question though--a reason why I didn't look into the guide with the reviews of a bunch of IEMs is because I always assumed that like other things (computer parts), prices fluctuate a lot and things get out-dated easily. I've been googling some popular ones I've heard of and I see some threads dating back to 5+ years, so I'm skeptical on whether the IEM is still better than the newer ones today. 

Apr 17, 2013 at 2:56 AM Post #8 of 11
I have narrowed down to HiFiMan RE262, VSonic GR07, and HiFiMan RE-400 Waterline, really would like more responses regarding these 3 IEMs. I chose them solely because they provided the best sound/$ ratio. Are all 3 suitable for my needs?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back