Best IEM / CIEM for me 500 dollars or below.
Dec 5, 2012 at 1:47 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

KCxSmacker

500+ Head-Fier
Please have a look at my profile for my current headphones and music type. I love a darker sound and love bass, however I love a wide range of music and want something that will handle all genres. Recently I have been into Classical, k/j pop/rock.

I am look at the sure se535 as they have the 3 drivers per ear which seems like they would be godly, however is there another set you can suggest that could top them? CIEM maybe? I am usually more of a headphone guy, but I have the shure SE215s and like them. With my higher end headphones now I am wanting more from a set of IEMs. 

Thank you for you help ahead of time. If you want more information please let me know.

Zach

cheers

Dec 7, 2012 at 6:04 AM Post #3 of 14
Can't really comment on the best IEM for jrock Jpop since I haven't found one myself yet, but the SE 535 is most likely not what you're looking for. The bass for the se535 definitely lacks quantity and its really strong midrange makes rock feel a bit weird. If you want to go the safe route, you could try the UM3X (400$) also three divers. Slightly dark with really tight bass, probably not the most fun IEM, but I like it with just about any genre.

Dec 7, 2012 at 6:37 AM Post #4 of 14
The JVC FX800 has really good bass if that is what you're looking for. Not sure how much it costs, but it shouldn't be more than $500.

What kind of kpop/jpop do you listen to? I personally like Kara/SNSD, and I personally feel that the Westone 4R is best out of my headphone collection for this type of music. I think it costs $499, but not 100% sure.

Dec 7, 2012 at 7:11 AM Post #5 of 14
Quote:
Can't really comment on the best IEM for jrock Jpop since I haven't found one myself yet, but the SE 535 is most likely not what you're looking for. The bass for the se535 definitely lacks quantity and its really strong midrange makes rock feel a bit weird. If you want to go the safe route, you could try the UM3X (400$) also three divers. Slightly dark with really tight bass, probably not the most fun IEM, but I like it with just about any genre.

Thanks, I'm glad I did not order these to soon.

Quote:
The JVC FX800 has really good bass if that is what you're looking for. Not sure how much it costs, but it shouldn't be more than $500.

What kind of kpop/jpop do you listen to? I personally like Kara/SNSD, and I personally feel that the Westone 4R is best out of my headphone collection for this type of music. I think it costs $499, but not 100% sure.

Just getting into the genre but I like Kara, Utada etc. Still I want these to work for other genres too. Electronic, classical( strings mainly some piano), rock, alternative. Granted I do like my bass, but like to have a nice amount of treble/mids and highs. I will look into some of the suggestions and see what else is posted. I feel like a complete noob right now with IEMs compared to headphones. 

(also If you have some J/k pop you like let me know ^_^)

If I need to I can put a bit more in if customs will be comfy and sound better overall.  Maybe the Heir 3/4 A? 

Dec 7, 2012 at 8:37 AM Post #6 of 14
I have the SE 530's and I can echo that the 535 are unlikely to be a good fit for what you are looking for.

I have had the JH16s and those were absolutely godly for rock. My understanding is that the JH5's have a similar signature, and at $399 are within your budget. 

I am not personally into KPop, but being in Korea, it is unavoidable. Secret and 2NE1 are good girl groups with catchy songs.

Dec 7, 2012 at 11:08 AM Post #8 of 14
The dark soundsignature with good punchy bass are close match to Sennheiser IE8(discontinued but still available) and they are fun to listen, also shows good details in music. The other IEMs like RE272+ZO2, GR07, PFE232 and Sony EX1000 are recommended and they all can handle most genres music well.

Dec 7, 2012 at 11:19 AM Post #9 of 14
Quote:
I have the SE 530's and I can echo that the 535 are unlikely to be a good fit for what you are looking for.

I have had the JH16s and those were absolutely godly for rock. My understanding is that the JH5's have a similar signature, and at $399 are within your budget. 

I am not personally into KPop, but being in Korea, it is unavoidable. Secret and 2NE1 are good girl groups with catchy songs.

I am also into Kpop, but i just watch the girls group videos on youtube, with the sound muted. :wink:

More seriously, I just received my SE215 (priced at discount for 99$) and I love them. So I can just give you a positive opinion on the Shures.

Dec 7, 2012 at 1:11 PM Post #11 of 14
I notice many of these do not have detachable cables. With a lot of on the go use, would these eventually start to loose connection and need replacing? I always am concerned with on the go headphones about hurting the cable unless its easy to replace(Detachable).

Thanks for all the suggestions. Should give me a few to research over the week. 

cheers

Dec 7, 2012 at 6:28 PM Post #12 of 14
Quote:
I am also into Kpop, but i just watch the girls group videos on youtube, with the sound muted. :wink:

So I'm not the only one who does that. Good, good, makes me seem less creepy.

Quote:
Thanks, I'm glad I did not order these to soon.

Just getting into the genre but I like Kara, Utada etc. Still I want these to work for other genres too. Electronic, classical( strings mainly some piano), rock, alternative. Granted I do like my bass, but like to have a nice amount of treble/mids and highs. I will look into some of the suggestions and see what else is posted. I feel like a complete noob right now with IEMs compared to headphones. 

(also If you have some J/k pop you like let me know ^_^)

If I need to I can put a bit more in if customs will be comfy and sound better overall.  Maybe the Heir 3/4 A? 

You have the HE-400s, right? In that case, the UM3X, SM3, W4, might not have the treble quantity that you'd like (even though the lack of might be preferable for the majority of J-Pop *coughcoughShiinacough*, K-Pop, and the likes). The PFE232 might be more up your alley in terms of signature. Earphonesolutions has a coupon (they ALWAYS have a coupon) that bumps the price down to around your budget. 

BTW, Pre-Mister Kara = definition of awesome KPop. Just sayin...

Dec 26, 2012 at 9:38 AM Post #14 of 14
I would recommend the UM3X based on what I have heard. They do wonders with vocals without sounding weird like the SE535's (imo). The W4 is a better all arounder, but probably isn't as good with Kpop. But hey, if you decide on the W4, I have some W4R's for sale to help fund some dental work. :p

Users who are viewing this thread

Back