Best i can do for £30?
Aug 6, 2005 at 1:09 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

Blighto

New Head-Fier
Hi guys, first post.

Okay, i have a tight budget (£25 - £30), and im just looking for the best i can get for my money. I may go a little over if i can get something spectacular.

So far i have looked at the sennheiser PX 100 and HD 497 (because of great reviews). I will be using them primarily for listening to music / watching videos/dvds etc in my room, so im happy to go with full size headphones (I just want something comfortable that sounds good - im assuming the full size ones have sound quality advantages over portables).

Im leaning towards the HD 497, but im new to headphones and i thought id ask some enthusiasts for guidance before i went and bought them.

Cheers, Blighto.

*edit* Just looked at the EH 350, about £40.... i would only go for that if it would definately be a significant improvement over something for £30 though.

Anyone have experience with any of these phones?

Aug 6, 2005 at 5:31 PM Post #4 of 5
HD 201 = £15.00

PX 100 = £26.50

HD 497 = £30.00

To me it makes sense to go with the HD 497 (full sized, open design,since i will be in my room with little or no background noise) - but then im a noob. But i will still get better sound with the px 100s?

Oh heck.... PX 100s it is. Are argos's online prices cheaper than shop prices?

Cheers guys, will let you know how impressed i am within the next few days.
biggrin.gif

Aug 6, 2005 at 7:29 PM Post #5 of 5
rolleyes.gif
Ive changed my mind - after looking more into the PX 100 vs the HD 497, ive decided to go with the 497. It seems these have better sound quality, and im not bothered about it being portable (i dont even have a portable player). Open design since i will be in a mostly quiet room.

Oh and they come with a 1/8 to 1/4 adapter
wink.gif
so i can try it in both my hi-fi and directly from my PC's line-out (hardly a big deal but a bonus, saves me buying one elsewhere).

If i am mistaken in thinking these are better than the px100s then correct me, its just they are marked on senn's site as the top model of that range (px100s are in the same range) - so im assuming they sound better.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back