Best HP under $200 for movie watching.
Oct 26, 2009 at 1:35 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

Ohhey

New Head-Fier
I'm a film student so I watch a ton of movies and television shows, I also edit video a lot and play games. I use a PC equipped with an X-Fi Titanium pci-e and a Macbook Pro. I'm not looking to amp atm; open/closed isn't an issue.

I've looked into the AD700's, AKG 240S, DENON 1001S, and more recently the Shure SRH840's

I just need some help on making a decision on the best for under $200.

Oct 26, 2009 at 3:57 AM Post #3 of 12
Could you describe the sound quality more? specifically while watching a movie.

Oct 26, 2009 at 5:02 AM Post #4 of 12
AD700 is my movie can of choice.

Vocals are clear and present.
Background music goes into the background, and sounds nice.
I'm not sure what else you need, Everything is crisp and clear
I wouldn't be surprised if these are my permanent TV/movie cans.

D1001's are -not- good for watching movies. Vocals sound soft and distant, and it's hard to understand what people are saying with music in the background.

Oct 26, 2009 at 8:33 AM Post #7 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ohhey /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I've looked into the AD700's, AKG 240S, DENON 1001S, and more recently the Shure SRH840's

I just need some help on making a decision on the best for under $200.

"Best" is such a subjective word, and the reason why no-one can make the decision for you. Which one is the best milkshake?-Banana, Strawberry, Chocolate.... you get the idea, different people will prefer different flavours. The same can be said for different fruit, favourite wine or beer etc etc. Headphones are simply different flavours, particularly those similarly priced (I know that price doesn't = quality, but it is a fair generalisation). So based on the fact that the headphones you list are "different flavours of sound" it is vital that you identify the type of sound you are looking for to help others "match up" the sound of each possible haedphone. IE: AD700 is quite airy, more mid trebble focussed, has less prominent bass impact than many others etc. If that sounds like something you are after leave it on your list, if you wanted say a more bass impact headphone for action movies then it may not be the best choice. I would also consider comfort, which is unfortunately almost as subjective as sound signature, but big head vs small head, small ears vs large ears, fro vs bald, can all have an impact on how comfortable a headphone can be for the individual. Hope this helps, good luck with your choice. Having said all that, there a plenty of great headphones out there that I am sure will all give you a great movie experience, but probably not as great as a reasonable 5.1 speaker set up.

Oct 26, 2009 at 12:32 PM Post #8 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by Graphicism /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Pick up the used Ultrasone HFI-780s in the FS forum for $160, nothing will come close for that price.

Another vote for the HFI-780s. It will play movies very well.

Oct 26, 2009 at 6:06 PM Post #9 of 12
"Best" is very subjective, as we all have different preferences.
But I highly recommend you check out the AKG K240. Either one of the old ones (Sextett and like) or a current model.

Oct 26, 2009 at 7:04 PM Post #10 of 12
I am currently using Senn HD595's. I have owned the HFI-780 and don't see how these could be considered the best. When I think of a headphone used for watching movies I think of comfort. IMHO pleather ear pads are not that comfortable for a long period of time. I much prefer velour. I also prefered the sound of the HD 595's

Oct 26, 2009 at 7:13 PM Post #11 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by ronnielee54 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I am currently using Senn HD595's. I have owned the HFI-780 and don't see how these could be considered the best. When I think of a headphone used for watching movies I think of comfort. IMHO pleather ear pads are not that comfortable for a long period of time. I much prefer velour. I also prefered the sound of the HD 595's

I think HFI-780 comfort is subjective, it's all down to how you wear them and most don't do it right. Extend the bands an extra couples of notches and move them up your head more, the top headband no longer creates pressure and the 'clamp' is weakened from the extension.

Comfort aside movie watching for me personally is bridging the gap between sitting at the cinema and watching at home with headphones. I like the deep resonating rumble and directional sound, something you don't get from traditional right--left headphones.

Oct 27, 2009 at 2:34 AM Post #12 of 12
HFI-780 hands down. The Audio-Technicas don't do bass nearly as good. Besides -- the HFi's are designed specifically for movies/DVDs/videogames

Users who are viewing this thread

Back