Best HP for Classical & Opera Music?
Aug 2, 2018 at 9:17 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

Dn2292

New Head-Fier
I just picked up a Beyerdynamic 770 Pro M and have listened to it for about an hour.
Also
I just ordered Shure SE425’s they will be here in a week?

I listen to classical and opera mainly, with jazz and some other “modern” not dead people music :>) occasionally.

What would be the best head phones for me under $250? I tend to like Over-ear for comfort, at least I think?? I really have no idea!! OK guys and gals educate me!!

Right now I listen to music off my big IPad Pro as well as IPhone 8. No DAC or Amp of any kind thus far. Just a note, I am HYPER sensitive to sound, so it does not take much in the way of volume for me. Also I am very meticulous when it comes to the sharpness of the high’s, at least I used to be. I have not listened to and enjoyed music in many years, so I am happy to get back to it. So whatever HP’s I will be listening to needs to have good sharp high’s(?)(I don’t know how to say it the proper way for HP’s, I apologize)

I know in the coming months I will slowly acquire more equipment (dac, dap, amp, etc) to make my setups sound better! :>)
Thanks for all the feedback in advance!!!

Aug 2, 2018 at 9:34 PM Post #3 of 16
You are hyper sensitive to sound and that means what? You said it not me.

Aug 2, 2018 at 10:40 PM Post #4 of 16
My ears are hyper sensitive to sound, all sound, for reasons that we will not get into here because it will bore 99% of the readers.

But because of a drastic approach, let’s say we took stuff out, and I am able to deal with some sound now.

I was crazy into classical as a teenager and then a car accident changed my world at 21 years old, now I’m 40 and let’s hope this is a new beginning!!!!!

I have always sworn to myself if things ever changed where I could listen to music again like I did “back in the day” then I would go as much as I could.

So I can’t listen at great volume levels, I will be wanting nice detail at the lower levels if possible?

But docs say I will continue to improve for another 2-3 weeks from now, so who knows what things will look like!?!?!?!?!?

That answer your question?? :)
Crazy weird, right!!!!!!

Last edited:
Aug 2, 2018 at 10:51 PM Post #5 of 16
Check the Beyerdynamic DT880 (600 Ohm) and the AKG K701.
Both are neutralish and both will benefit if you add a quality DAC/Amp in the future.

AKG K701 has a more expansive sound that's also more forward in terms of tonality.
That means more presence in the 1kHz to 3kHz region where very important vocal harmonics live.
Depending on the recording this can be very favourable for opera.

DT880 on the other hand is softer in the upper midrange leading to an unintrussive presentation that's still very neutral.
The sound is just a little bit fuller and more compact, with even more sparkle in the upper treble.

Aug 2, 2018 at 11:16 PM Post #6 of 16
“That means what? You said it not me”

I’m not saying I have a skilled ear or anything like that holy crap NO!!!!

To break it down to as few words, Purely sounds issues, any sound causes pain. there have been times my wife and I have gone weeks without talking because the sound of it would cause me phenomenal pain.

All of this is linked to a TBI.

Anyways back to your regularly scheduled program.

Last edited:
Aug 2, 2018 at 11:58 PM Post #8 of 16
Thanks X3!!! I’ll research those for sure.
Noob question, does neutral & flat mean the same thing???
Thanks

Measuring headphones is not as simple as measuring speakers. So 'flat' might or might not mean neutral depending on a bunch of tricky variables.
I much prefer to use the word 'neutralish' instead of 'neutral' because neutral is absolute and neutralish isn't.

When I say neutralish I mean the headphone is close to neutral, so it doesn't emphazise certain part of the spectrum too much.
It might emphazise something as each and every headphone has its own character, but the deviations aren't big.
That's why most 'neutralish' headphones sound quite similar in the big scheme of things.

Aug 3, 2018 at 12:59 AM Post #12 of 16

Users who are viewing this thread

Back