Best home amp for Grado's?
Mar 3, 2009 at 11:07 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 18

cactus_farmer

1000+ Head-Fier
I have an SR325i and was thinking about the Heed Canamp... But the amp obviously has to be good with low impedance cans.

Oh yeah, and I don't want anything to do with tube amps(!)

Or, and please be honest here, does an amp not actually make a great difference with Grado's?

Mar 3, 2009 at 11:25 AM Post #2 of 18
What is your price range?

Eddie Current EC/SS is designed for Grados, you might want the check that.
ECSS

Headamp Gilmore Lite is tried and true discrete headphone amp and works well with Grados, though warm sounding source might be recommended?
HeadAmp - Audio Electronics (Gilmore Lite Headphone Amp)

And yes, IME it does. Grados do sound good from low powered systems, but it just sounds better from amplifier that provides proper current, tighter and punchier are my impressions. Still, good source is equally, if not more, important than good amplifier. Amplifier amplifies what it gets, garbage in garbage out.

Mar 3, 2009 at 12:45 PM Post #3 of 18
Hi,

I just love my combo with a Heed Canamp with my new Grados. And I totally agree with MaZa - the source is very important...

Mar 3, 2009 at 6:32 PM Post #6 of 18
Don't have much to compare it to, but my Headroom Micro certainly doesn't sound bad.
biggrin.gif
Its sonic qualities are actually quite compatible with the 325i goldies.

Problem with RA1 is the reliance on batteries.

Mar 3, 2009 at 6:51 PM Post #7 of 18
Amping the Grados makes quite a big difference imo. Either that or my Zen just didn't like them.

Mar 3, 2009 at 7:26 PM Post #8 of 18
No, it makes a big difference. There is no reason to be so against tubes, as grados sound magnificent from a good tube amp. You should look into them a t least a little before dismissing them. The usual low-mid budget SS amps come into play. EC/SS, canamp, Gilmore lite. My ck2III is good with them as well.

Mar 3, 2009 at 8:45 PM Post #10 of 18
You mean like an amped SR225 versus an unamped RS1?

Mar 3, 2009 at 8:51 PM Post #12 of 18
I've only ever tried the SR225 in the Grado line, so I can't really comment. However, amping the SR225 (even out of a PA2V2/old Sony) added a lot of weight, authority, and smoothness to the sound.

Mar 3, 2009 at 8:52 PM Post #13 of 18
Why no tubes? I think tubes sounds best with grados....just me though.

Mar 3, 2009 at 9:06 PM Post #14 of 18
Have you considered a hybrid amp? My EF-1 sounds great with the 325i's. My favorite so far. It is a complete amp when you get it also, you dont need to mess with it to get it working.

Mar 3, 2009 at 9:17 PM Post #15 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by adion /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What about the Grado RA-1 amp? Seems to me like that would be the ideal match.

The RA-1 is very subpar IMO. There are plethora of options at half the price that outshine the RA-1 in spades.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back