Best HighEnd Minidisc home deck ?
Feb 4, 2003 at 8:44 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

Sandro

New Head-Fier
Hi,

I'm searching a "high end" minidisc home deck, I thought about
Sony ES end QS series, Teac... and others I don't know.

Which sounds the best for you ? I don't care about options and
possibilities, just the SOUND !

Thanks a lot for your answers.

Sandro.

Feb 4, 2003 at 11:26 PM Post #2 of 12
I've got a Sony MDS-JE30ES which i've had for the last 5 years.

Lovely sound, especially when used with an external DAC. Editing facilities that are just amazing <6ms (abou the same as what an experienced engineer could get with tape).

The next one up from this is the JE50ES. Main difference is the dual transformers for the Analogue / Digital sections.

The current high-end model from Sony is the JA555ES which has all the usual facilities one would expect from a minidisc recorder with the addition of the MDLP facilities to record at 2x and 4x the normal capacity.

Sound As Ever

Feb 5, 2003 at 2:35 AM Post #3 of 12
The JA555ES is indeed the best home MD deck ever made. I have one and would not trade it for the world. However, Trawlerman has posted some incorrect info on this model. The JA555ES does not feature any MDLP modes at all. It was released slightly before the public introduction of MDLP; besides, why would anyone need or use MDLP on an audiophile deck? I am certain that any future top of the line Sony ES deck will feature MDLP (because it's there), but I doubt many would use it.

Then again, I doubt that Sony will ever make such a solid behemoth MD deck as the JA555ES ever again. This is a no-compromise player, without a doubt, with two R-core transformers. (And weighs in at a hefty 35 pounds or thereabouts.)

For sound, the JA555ES is unbeatable. Great DACs and it's analogue recording capabilities are second to none.

I agree with Trawlerman on the editing capabilities of these machines. Nothing short of extraordinary. Not sure about the JA333ES, but the 555 also has amazing pitch control and filtering options.

Plus, the MD intake drawers on the Sony ES decks are about the coolest thing ever!

Feb 5, 2003 at 8:58 AM Post #4 of 12
I've also got the JA555ES and it's a great machine but it's large and heavy (about 15kg).

Do Sony still make this model?

Feb 5, 2003 at 9:38 AM Post #5 of 12
Sorry about the misinfo. Was going from memory there and it was very late in the night.

I was probably thinking about the JA20 or the JE333 then.

Anyway, ES models are the ones to go for. Like Pepzhaz and Rob have said, they are very solidly built and will give superlative results for a lifetime.

Here's some more info on the high end Sony's
http://www.superfi.co.uk/index.cfm/p...Product_ID/720

MDSJA333ES_2cols_medium.jpg

Sound As Ever

Feb 6, 2003 at 11:25 PM Post #8 of 12
Since unlike tape they keep noticeably updating the sound quality on MD, I don't think there's a huge point in going for the top models. What you get is superior build quality and closer tolerances. But a significant improvement in DAC/ATRAC can outweigh those differences, surely?

Feb 7, 2003 at 4:22 PM Post #9 of 12
I got a Sony JA20ES years ago on a close-out sale, I think it was the first deck with the ATRAC R chip, before it was called ATRAC R (at least according to what I could dig up on the minidisc community page). Anyway, I got it for about the price of a normal top-notch home stereo MD deck, between $300 and $400, I think, I don't remember exactly. I recorded my LP collection onto MD with it (hundreds of LPs). A great benefit was being able to adjust and fine-tune the channel balance, since the channel balance of my LP cartridge and of some LPs was just a little off. The regular home decks didn't have separate left and right channel recording level controls.

Also, I was extremely confident that I was getting great line input, DAC conversion, etc. It was just a feeling of confidence in recording my treasured LPs.

I don't think Sony has updated their SP ATRAC since ATRAC R, so newer cheaper models won't give you better sound, I don't think. But it's more like buying a swiss watch instead of a casio than really upgrading the sound significantly, IMHO. I wouldn't have bought it if I didn't get it so cheap. But if you have the money, and you love MD, Sony ES is a great way to go.

Feb 9, 2003 at 1:20 PM Post #10 of 12
Quote:

Originally posted by Steve999
don't think Sony has updated their SP ATRAC since ATRAC R, so newer cheaper models won't give you better sound, I don't think

I hate being a pedantic old sod but I'll just correct you here.
They have, and they do.

Feb 9, 2003 at 10:32 PM Post #12 of 12
Until and unless Sony releases a new ATRAC version that improves upon ATRAC-R and couples that with the finest materials in a high end deck, I don't see how any current home deck offering will be the equal of any of the ATRAC-R capable Sony ES machines.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back