Best Highend Android Smartphone audiowise (with TF10s)
Jan 2, 2012 at 6:15 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 28

voon

100+ Head-Fier
Out of curiosity: Which is being considered the best Android Smartphone with regards to Audio ... i.e. reaching normal Cowon Soundquality or better with TF10s?

Jan 3, 2012 at 12:48 AM Post #3 of 28
That's nice, but limited to basically the Galaxy S and its Variants .... plus I assume you need to root it. And it's just software. I was more thinking of a Smartphone with decent hardware first. I actually wonder, if I should just run a petition to HTC to throw out something like their Desire HD series with an ES9018 built in etc. They throw out new models every weeke or so it feels, there should be room for a Smartphone with Dedication to Audio people (but not that thing they just made). Sure, it won't beat an audioplayer with regards to battery/runtime .. but otherwise? It's just an Android PC with phone capabilities and audio already, it just needs some tweaks on the audio side. And there's a lot of business people like me with smartphones, that do not want to carry aound two devices for decent sound....

Jan 3, 2012 at 3:25 AM Post #6 of 28
Hm, that's due to their Wolfson, eh? From what I hear, there's also a Wolfson in for instance the LG Optimus 2x, which has a more modern CPU as well?

Jan 3, 2012 at 6:07 AM Post #7 of 28
While I don't see a particular pattern with regards to comments on audio testing by gsmarena.com they do post some "objective" lab tests.

Judging simply by those numbers the iphone 4 seems to perform the best, low distortion, low stereo-crosstalk.

The older Motorola Atrix seems to peform well, the LG Optimus 2X seems to have a spot on frequency response but subpar stereo cross-talk at -35db.

The new Samsung Galaxy Nexus got some good numbers, unlike the SGS2 with 0.6 of distortion and yet the reviewer claimed "Great Audio Quality" although generally people on head-fi and other places agree on tha the SGS2 has poor audio quality.

The HTC Sensation got good stereo cross talk numbers and when I briefly owned it and sounded good imho. The "Beats" branded ones however boost lows and highs even when it's disable apparently.

The Sony Xperia Arc S did pretty good.

The Motorola RAZR had very poor stereo crosstalk scores, much like the old Desire HD which had high distortion levels aswell.

But the best is probably to test it all for yourself if you get the chance.

Jan 3, 2012 at 6:10 AM Post #8 of 28
Depends on the earphones, too .... sicne I'll own TF10s ina  few days and I know they can be a bit diffiult, I always only look for tests with them connected ... everything else won't tell me much :) But yes, many call the iPhones pretty good .... it's just that I hate Apples policies and will stay with Android. I guess I have to haunt HTC, till they produce an audiophile ES9018 phone or something.... the beats stuff is yet another Dr Dre ******** product for teenies.

Jan 3, 2012 at 7:49 AM Post #9 of 28
Sensation xe with Player Pro beats the crap out of any portable i've ever listened to.

Jan 3, 2012 at 8:45 AM Post #10 of 28

Quote:
Sensation xe with Player Pro beats the crap out of any portable i've ever listened to.

Does Player Pro improve the sound quality or something? I own the Sensation XE too and am quite pissed with the fact that you can't disable sound enhancement ( Beats enhancement , or HTC enhancer.) Sound quality is pretty good..but the beats enhancement seems to increase the bass and the highs a little. ( i think.)

Jan 3, 2012 at 9:22 AM Post #11 of 28
Galaxy S & Lg optimus 2x, LG G2x. Other devices with Tegra 2 also have very good sound quality, for example I have motorola atrix and with Neutron music player I found it's quality better than clip's.

Jan 3, 2012 at 6:05 PM Post #14 of 28
Er.... does the Tegra Chipset include a Wolfson chip then? I'm a bit confused. That would mean my Asus Transformer Pad should sound great, because it has a Tegra 2 chipset? What DACs are in there?

Jan 3, 2012 at 6:08 PM Post #15 of 28
You are very lucky as there is voodoo for your transformer :) Here you go : http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1132875 and yes, your transformer has wolfson audio chip.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back