Best High-End Rock Headphones?
Mar 6, 2007 at 3:24 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 66

bellbrass

100+ Head-Fier
I am looking for the best candidates for audiophile headphones for rock music. I'm wanting advice from people who mainly listen to rock, as opposed to people who occasionally listen to rock for variety. I like classic, 80's, and 90's rock mostly, along with some jazz. I'm just not into classical music, rap, folk or bluegrass, although I like all of the above to some degree. I list the type of music because I think it might matter - rock is mixed and mastered differently than other music, and I know there is distortion present in rock that would have no place in other recordings.

I am currently burning in a new pair of Ultrasone Proline 750 'phones, and I have to say I love the bass. The imaging is awesome as well, and my search may have ended for now, but I may want to try another pair while I'm at it. The treble on the Proline 750 is a little lacking, but I know I still have some more burn-in to go (only about 25 hours so far). I have a pair of Grado Sr-325 headphones, and I love the treble and midrange, but not the bass. I am considering trying out the Sony MDR-SA5000 and the Sennheiser Hd-650. I know Senns are considered to be a classical music headphone, but I know one guy who listens to them with his tube amp, and he swears by them for rock. I currently have a Little Dot II ++, and a PPA. The Ultrasones almost sound better on the PPA than the tube amp. Any advice on great audiophile-quality headphones for rock music, driven by a dedicated amp, would be appreciated.
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 6, 2007 at 3:29 PM Post #2 of 66
Beyerdynamic DT990 '05 I guess, or DT880 if you want flatter sound. Not a fan of Sennheiser + rock, especially hard rock and metal. They lack the bite in electric guitars.

Mar 6, 2007 at 3:33 PM Post #4 of 66
Also flat pads for Grados would work. Really enhances the bass, but also it kills a bit from the upper mids the Grado is known for.

Mar 6, 2007 at 3:47 PM Post #6 of 66
Quote:

Originally Posted by bellbrass /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I am looking for the best candidates for audiophile headphones for rock music. I'm wanting advice from people who mainly listen to rock, as opposed to people who occasionally listen to rock for variety. I like classic, 80's, and 90's rock mostly, along with some jazz. I'm just not into classical music, rap, folk or bluegrass, although I like all of the above to some degree. I list the type of music because I think it might matter - rock is mixed and mastered differently than other music, and I know there is distortion present in rock that would have no place in other recordings.

I am currently burning in a new pair of Ultrasone Proline 750 'phones, and I have to say I love the bass. The imaging is awesome as well, and my search may have ended for now, but I may want to try another pair while I'm at it. The treble on the Proline 750 is a little lacking, but I know I still have some more burn-in to go (only about 25 hours so far). I have a pair of Grado Sr-325 headphones, and I love the treble and midrange, but not the bass. I am considering trying out the Sony MDR-SA5000 and the Sennheiser Hd-650. I know Senns are considered to be a classical music headphone, but I know one guy who listens to them with his tube amp, and he swears by them for rock. I currently have a Little Dot II ++, and a PPA. The Ultrasones almost sound better on the PPA than the tube amp. Any advice on great audiophile-quality headphones for rock music, driven by a dedicated amp, would be appreciated.
smily_headphones1.gif

I have the SR325[size=small]i[/size].

Nothing wrong with the bass on the i Version. Have you given that a go? They are also my fav for rock.

Mar 6, 2007 at 3:50 PM Post #7 of 66
I was under the impression that the difference between the Sr-325 and the SR-325i was minimal. Plus, I don't hate the 325 sound - I like it; it's just that I'm something of a basshead (hence why I have a PPA with a bass boost).
smily_headphones1.gif

I can plug in the Ultrsones to the PPA and turn the bass boost off, and they sound great. I know this is the difference between open-back and closed headphones more than anything.

Mar 6, 2007 at 3:58 PM Post #8 of 66
another vote for the SR325i. If you're listening to a lot of poorly mastered 80s and 90s rock, then IMO the SR325i helps improve their compression quite well. I'm a Grado and Sennheiser fan myself.....on my current setup, the HD650 can do a lot of rock genres. It takes a very accurate source and high gain amp to make HD650 to be fast and impactful. With the SR325i and a tube amp, you should be able to get plenty of bass, but also plenty of treble. Of course demoing the two headphones on your current system might be the best route. Only your ears and system can make the call if the HD650 is too laid back.

Mar 6, 2007 at 4:11 PM Post #9 of 66
IS there a significant difference between the SR-325 and the SR-325i? Have you had both? Hmmmmmm.....I have heard over and over the Grados were the best for rock (which is why I have them in the first place).
I found the bass on my 325s to be tight with no thump. I like a little thump.
Some like tight; some like boomy bass. I like accuracy, but I think bass can have some boom without being inaccurately reproduced, headphone-wise.

Mar 6, 2007 at 4:37 PM Post #10 of 66
Well I've found with Grados in general that they get more bass with a warm tube amp. Maybe getting a warm tube amp for your 325s is one solution. The HD650s will certainly give you more bass, but it's treble may be too soft. I haven't heard the Sony SA5000, but every indication is that it's hyper-detailed....so I would think that its bass would be lacking too. Since you have a friend who swears by his HD650, perhaps he'd let you try out his 650s on your system. Seems like you should audition some headphones before buying
biggrin.gif

Mar 6, 2007 at 5:28 PM Post #12 of 66
Can anyone answer the question regarding 325 vs. 325i? My immediate recommendation was going to be the RS-1, but if you find the bass lacking on the 325 (and 325i) then you're not likely to be impressed.

I do know the "i" stands for improved bass with the 325, but I have no frame of reference to tell you if the improvement was significant or not, having only heard the 325i.

Mar 6, 2007 at 5:48 PM Post #14 of 66
I do have a tube amp: the Little Dot II ++, which I'm liking quite a bit.
I can't afford the Grado RS-1s right now....The Beyerdynamic DT 990 or the Sennheiser HD-650 are more in my range (less than $400).

Mar 6, 2007 at 5:53 PM Post #15 of 66
The LDIIs are known to be bright though.....so your system may actually do well with the HD650. I'd borrow your friend's HD650 so you can audition it. If it works, good....if it's too laid back, then the Beyer DT990 could be the ticket.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back