"Best" high end IEM or CIEM...
Apr 2, 2014 at 5:55 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 44

seanyawake

New Head-Fier
Hello there,

So I've been around this site for a while, since I bought my last pair of IEM's really (Shure SE535 + bauldr MKII cable)  they've recently died, well the cable is busted and for some damn reason I can't disconnect them sooooo....  I've decided to move on and have had my ear moulds taken.

I'm hoping someone here with a bit more knowledge than I have could point me in the direction of the cream of the crop?  Is it the Merlin, Miracle, JH 16's, JH 13's, JH Roxanne?

The more I read, the more confused I get heh...

I'm no producer/performer/DJ or any of that jazz but I like my music to sound they way it's supposed to.

Genres = All elctronic from minimal to trance, hip hop, rap, soul, Indie, Alternative...Hell, anything but death metal.

I know this is probably vague but I'm hoping someone could lend an opinion or 2!

Thanks

Sean

Apr 2, 2014 at 5:23 PM Post #4 of 44
Spiral ears is hard to get, limited to Europe. Good luck and all the best, once you open this head-fi box there is no closing it..... :D

Apr 2, 2014 at 6:05 PM Post #5 of 44
As I am sure you have read, there is not really a "best" in any class, but their are classes where sq increases incrementally. theheadphonelist.com is the most comprehensive single review. From what i have read, some still prefer the jh13 to the roxanne, some prefer the noble k10 to both, some prefer the shure se846 to all of them. It is really a matter of taste, and even more than that, being content with what you chose and not letting these threads trick your mind into thinking that something is MILES ahead of another. Once you get into the high end of these iems, it's all about preference. nothing is the clear winner.

Also look at TOTL madness on innerfidelity.

Apr 2, 2014 at 10:52 PM Post #6 of 44
While my experience with CIEMs is by no means exhaustive, or even terribly extensive, but what I've been given to understand is that once you get among the flagships it really becomes a matter of personal taste. Basically, anything over $1,000 will be amazing and which one is best is going to depend on what you listen to, what gear you have and so forth.

Apr 4, 2014 at 4:31 PM Post #7 of 44
Thanks for the input guys, the main problem I face is the fact that I live in Perth, Australia and it seems to be impossible to try before I buy heh.  I mainly use my IEMs for casual use with ipods and what not.  Silly I know but I can't go backwards from my Shures and I'm willing to throw down the money for something up there.

Argh, the hunt continues!

Apr 4, 2014 at 4:45 PM Post #9 of 44
I am about to try a pair of JVC HA-FX850s based on the early reviews and reports. They are way below the price range you are looking in, but they have some over the top recommendations. Their soundstage has been compared to the K1000 and their bass to the LCD2. It may be a lot of hype, but some of the recommendations were by someone on here who's ears I have come to trust. He says they are among the best sounding headphones he has heard, and they keep up overall with his HE6. I was struck by all of these comparisons to some of the top full sized headphones out there. Even better, they are universals so you can try them and then easily resell if they are not your cup of tea.

Apr 4, 2014 at 4:46 PM Post #10 of 44
Not sure if they're an Australian company or not but they seem to be much easier to acquire than any other iem out there haha.  I spose that raises another question, are they up there in the same league as JH Audio and so forth?

I really hope this was as confusing for all you guys when you first started feeling around in the high end of these damn things!

Apr 4, 2014 at 5:54 PM Post #11 of 44
Right now they are only available in Japan, but there are companies that will buy them and then ship them to you.

I do not know how they compare to the higher priced custom iems. I have never been wiling to spend that much on something I can't easily resell. And besides, I am still waiting for my pair to arrive.

Apr 4, 2014 at 6:50 PM Post #14 of 44
As I am sure you have read, there is not really a "best" in any class, but their are classes where sq increases incrementally. theheadphonelist.com is the most comprehensive single review. From what i have read, some still prefer the jh13 to the roxanne, some prefer the noble k10 to both, some prefer the shure se846 to all of them. It is really a matter of taste, and even more than that, being content with what you chose and not letting these threads trick your mind into thinking that something is MILES ahead of another. Once you get into the high end of these iems, it's all about preference. nothing is the clear winner.

Also look at TOTL madness on innerfidelity.

Kernel, I could not and I do not believe anyone else could say it better. Bravo!

Apr 5, 2014 at 12:10 PM Post #15 of 44
I recently demo'd the JH13 and Roxanne's and I found the Roxanne's to be a bit dark. Of those 2, I'd personally favoured the 13's, but the Roxanne's may suit your music tastes a little better. Plus the bass adjust pots are a great feature.
The reviews on not only the Noble K10's sound sig, build quality and overall performance, but also Noble's excellent customer service has won me over so I've placed an order for them. They're still 6 weeks away though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back