Best high end headphones for low volume listening?
Jan 15, 2004 at 2:03 AM Post #16 of 20
I agree with the Sony V6 idea, though the Sony CD3000 isn't a bad "low volume" phone either. I also thought that the AT W1000 was better at lower volumes than at higher volumes. In any case, you may want to go with a closed 'phone because the isolation will allow you to listen at a lower volume.

While I love my HD600s, they seem, like my Dynaudio loudspeakers, not to really become coherent until "goosed" a little bit. Not to ear-blasting levels, but just moderately loud. A lot of audiophile types attribute this characteristic in loudspeakers to relatively low sensitivity and difficult-to-drive impedances, and (though I'm no expert) this characteristic may also follow-form a little in the headphone world.

Jan 15, 2004 at 2:32 AM Post #17 of 20
Quote:

Originally posted by Tyson
Ety 4S. They have the advantage of blocking external sound, so you don't have to overcome ambiant room noise when listening, which means you can listen at lower volumes with better detail.

Right, for low volume detail this is the way to go!
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 10, 2004 at 8:40 PM Post #18 of 20
I finally decided to go for a used K1000 that I got very cheap ($300). I'm currently using it with a Electrocompaniet ECI3 integrated amp (Class A, 2x70W, $2000) and it sounds very good, but very different tonally from the HD580.

But best of all, the feeling of acoustic pressure that I felt on my right ear after one hour of listeing with the Senns and other traditional headphones is completely gone with the K1000. I can listen for hours without any ear fatigue. It's also very comfortable to wear.

I will now experiment with different tube amps for the K1000, as I intended to sell the big Electrocompaniet.

Mar 10, 2004 at 11:43 PM Post #20 of 20
Quote:

Originally posted by Claude
Hello,
I want a headphone that I will use for max. 1 hour per day and that sounds very detailed at low to moderate volumes. Mainly for classical orchestral music. It should be very comfortable too. My budget is $800.

Which headphones would you recommend? Stax (used), K1000, HD650, Baby Orpheus ...?

Thanks

Stax.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back