Best High End Headphones for Exclusive Movie Listening Through Dolby Headphone
Jan 20, 2010 at 6:25 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

GardenVariety

100+ Head-Fier
Hey Guys,

Currently I am using DT880 Pro's, Optical Out from my Denon 3808Ci into a Dolby Headphone Decoder. I am quite happy with the sound but I am fully willing to buy more expensive headphones if the difference is going to be huge. I'm already in the process of purchasing a decent tube amp and I was thinking of either Sennheiser HD800's, Denon 7000's or a high end Ultrasone offering. My question is, strictly for movies, will there be a big difference or am I essentially paying for the last 5%. Thanks!

Jan 20, 2010 at 7:18 PM Post #3 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by kool bubba ice /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If you like the DT880 I'd look into the T1.. From all accounts they better the DT880 in every way..

Being a former DT880 owner and current T1 owner I wholeheartedly agree with this!
dt880smile.png

Jan 20, 2010 at 7:46 PM Post #4 of 9
...or the D7000 is an awesome idea as well. Such deep theatre home/stereo type sound.
Is closed or open an issue to you?

Jan 20, 2010 at 8:11 PM Post #5 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by Palpatine /img/forum/go_quote.gif
...or the D7000 is an awesome idea as well. Such deep theatre home/stereo type sound.
Is closed or open an issue to you?

I don't really have any issues with any particular type. I just want them to be comfortable. I basically want as "3D" type sound as I can get so I can mimic my home theater sound. I've looked into the Denon D7000 and the D5000 and they look interesting. Many say the D5000's are very close so that was an option I was interested in.

Jan 20, 2010 at 9:16 PM Post #7 of 9
You are if you try to measure it objectively paying for the last 5 % if even that. But as we all know that can make all the difference in the world.

I have problem with coloured headphones for movies particularly wood colouration it seems and all the resonances that brings. Movies crave transparency and soundstaging. Can´t have one without the other.

DX 1000 don´t work for me neither the markl D5000. Ultrasone Ed 8 is not an option perhaps ED 9. DX 1000 have a cave soundstage. I would love to watch the Descent with it and it´s interesting for sure but you don´t get what you see on screen. Denons have cellar club soundstaging. They simple have to much of their own personality. Pro 900/5.1 speakers is the benchmark I found for movies. Some movies really benefit from a bit of isolation and anything that don´t require a lot of power like action movies and such I am actually finding the Pro 900 more rewarding for movies that plays more on emotions, story rather then big spectacles. If that is the strong point of your DT 880s you couldn´t consider a 5.1 system instead? You get a hell of a system for the price of a T1. Even more for the price of a HD 800.

About HD 800 I have read more then one say they are not good for movies? But never got any explanation why? From all reports good soundstaging... check... Pretty neutral with good dynamics from hearsay check... Transparency is reportedly good too. HD 650 was good with male voices so is the Hd 800 worse with voices or what make it bad for movies? Is this just some urban legend or can someone explain this to me? Is it the same issue as with K701? That didn´t work at all for movies for me.

My personal favourite absolutely undisputed for movies is as mentioned the Pro 900. Found headphones that at least temporarily compete for music bot movies or games nothing so far. Superb with the human voice, Superb dynamics, kind of chameleons and absolutly amazing for piano. There is a lot of that in dramas to set the mood I have noticed
smily_headphones1.gif
But the real deal is the soundstage. They really don´t need any dsp to correct the soundstage you get the center channel and I am utterly amazed how often it get the positioning of ambient effects right despite being "faked surround" of course.

As for Dolby headphone it seems to work best with non angled or non displaced drivers like your DT 880. It may not work that well with the T1 with it´s angled drivers. But honestly I would get headphones with the best soundstage rather then rely on dolby headphone, silent cinema or such. It can´t save my German Maestros I am afraid even though they do improve quite a bit with it and would be great for movies otherwise. You really need a center channel for movies and then your option is generally headphones with angled drivers or displaced drivers like Ultrasone uses. You don´t want to hear voices in both left and right ear cup at the same time.

Jan 20, 2010 at 9:30 PM Post #8 of 9
That's funny, because I had the pro900 for three weeks, and really don't like it for movies.
Also, Headphone with angle drivers are the best with Dolby heapdhone, trust me.

I'm a huge user of headphones for movies, and I've tried all the technologies in connexion with (Silent Cinema, Dolby Heapdhone, and now Smyth Realiser).

Even if I disagree on a lot of points with you, I have to say you're absolutely right about wood coloration.
That's why the Smyth Realiser is provided with Stax headphones.

With no cup, no resonances
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back